• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tales of Bioboosting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah to the Area 88TV reference! I thought it was awesome too.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The first volume of Guyver was the worst purchase I made last year for all the reasons listed in Shelf Life. It had a few moments that made me chuckle since it was so bad, but I'm not buying any more volumes. The best thing about the first volume is ADVs book that came with it. Last year was a total was for ADV with my favorite titles from them being the mediocre Ugly yet Beautiful World, and the convoluted Jinki Extend. I am so far enjoying the batch of series that are about to have their second volume out, especially Utawarerumono and D'eon.

I really loved Noein from the first volume and am glad Manga has a really clean transfer considering the length with the extras. I find the last name first in the credits a tad odd, since the common practice is to reverse it for the Western audience. I also enjoy the bonus interviews on these discs. I hope to see more from the talented Akane (I love Heat Guy) and Satelight (I even like Geneshaft).
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Mwahaha volume 2 of Noein won you over. Razz

I still find it astounding that such an amazingly original series is selling for cheaper than practically any anime series I've ever seen upon their release. Not that I'm complaining one bit... it makes me willing to crack open my wallet as soon as the volume is released when other fine titles haven't tempted me as much since they had a higher cost.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Bamboo's Review wrote:
For goodness sake, it's about a boy who finds a biosuit and uses it to tear apart Animorphs.
It's entirely possible that only I will get this reference, but oh lord did that give me a heck of a good laugh. That series was a childhood favorite and a series I personally believe would make a great anime series. (Heck, it's even got it's own OVA-style sidestory novels!)

What could be better than an anime about brain sucking parasite's out to conquer the Earth. (Say, did Animorphs come out before Stargate SG-1 or after?)

No, your not the only one. I absolutely loved Animorphs back when I was in late grade school throuh early high school (I dont quite remember when it stared and ended and how old I was at the time). And I'm pretty sure Animorphs came out before Stargat SG-1. I've always though Animorphs would make an awesome anime.

Bamboo wrote:
See, in the future, the world is controlled by an evil organization called the Chronos Corporation

Isn't the the organization in Black Cat called the same thing?
Sailor Maddie Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
If anyone ever buys the entire series of Inuyasha with single discs, I want them to take a picture for me. Pleaaaaaaaase? Wink That's a sight I'd pay to see, seriously.
Rosyna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The photos are from http://web.mac.com/rosyna/iWeb/Site/DVD%20Collection%20%2707.html

Sadly, it doesn't let me upload the highest res photos.

Sigh, I need a new shelf.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Bamboo's Review wrote:
For goodness sake, it's about a boy who finds a biosuit and uses it to tear apart Animorphs.
It's entirely possible that only I will get this reference, but oh lord did that give me a heck of a good laugh. That series was a childhood favorite and a series I personally believe would make a great anime series. (Heck, it's even got it's own OVA-style sidestory novels!)

What could be better than an anime about brain sucking parasite's out to conquer the Earth. (Say, did Animorphs come out before Stargate SG-1 or after?)

No, your not the only one. I absolutely loved Animorphs back when I was in late grade school throuh early high school (I don't quite remember when it stared and ended and how old I was at the time). And I'm pretty sure Animorphs came out before Stargat SG-1. I've always though Animorphs would make an awesome anime.

The live-action show was kind of funny sometimes... I just remember the "animation" between animal and human being kind of... Poorly done. Ditto on the anime front though, there's where it could really shine... Ah, memories of 6th-7th grade...

On the Guyver review... I think in images quite often, and I found it hard to read through it without imagining the "Mac" version of the series' namesake running along and getting out of tough situations of the Animorphic variety with a paper-clip, rubber band, and piece of gum... Especially when this line came along:

Quote:
Even with the hero's family in shackles and home laying in ruin, the show still manages to be a monster-of-the-week show."

I couldn't help but think "Just break out the chewing gum, stupid..."

Silliness aside, while I don't particularly like "Monster-of-the week" shows, I tend to think they're tolerable as long as they try to maintain a general storyline/goal to work on. Otherwise, it really is mindless. Still, I probably wouldn't be able to concentrate with those tight, butt-kicking... Leather jackets catching my attention.
lazylii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
impressive collection Shocked . oh the money put in it.
rayechu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Bamboo's Review wrote:
...Animorphs. It's entirely possible that only I will get this reference, but oh lord did that give me a heck of a good laugh. That series was a childhood favorite and a series I personally believe would make a great anime series.

I was in the fan club when I was younger and you can see the necklace in some of my school pictures. I still have all 50+ books even though many of them have fallen apart and are taped together.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
As I read the manga, I know they count Keita's special talent of good luck as his reason to be there
Realistically we've seen similar-the Xanth novels where the first protagonist's talent was that he couldn't be hurt by magic so the talent also kept itself hidden since defeating the protagonist would simply be a matter of usiing non-magical means on him. Thus he went from being exiled for having no visible magic to being a top class magician.
And in Magic Users' Club Aburatsubo came by his abilities naturally & never had to work for anything, so he felt they didn't really count.
And in X-Men, any mutation is a mutation so if Keita's extreme good luck hold out in all situations, it becomes a major talent. I did a personal short story on this where the implications could be staggering. How far does the "good luck" extend? Just to the lucky person? Does he NEVER lose a coin toss? Does it extend to a team he's on so they always win?
So the question is would Keita's good luck extend to say, a company he works for? Like all the kids who go to BL channel into a particular company which would be securing Keita in this manner? In the manga there were inplications his talent was being tested & it also appears someone in the anime is also testing not only his talent, but also his moral character

As for InuYasha, it's nothing close to DBZ. Trust me. I have 1840 anime dvds in my collection & InuYasha individual is around 40-50 while DB/Z/movies/specials is a shelf & a half-like 100 dvds.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
As I read the manga, I know they count Keita's special talent of good luck as his reason to be there...
So the question is would Keita's good luck extend to say, a company he works for? Like all the kids who go to BL channel into a particular company which would be securing Keita in this manner? In the manga there were inplications his talent was being tested & it also appears someone in the anime is also testing not only his talent, but also his moral character

Sure, but this begs the question: how did they find out about his "ability?" I can picture recruiting someone because they have really high test scores, or because they're really good at tennis, or because they can shoot flames from their hands, but how does one document "luck?"

For that matter, how would they even single him out from a population? From any outsiders perspective, it would only be visible that this kid never really had anything bad happen to him, but I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion, "Ah, he must have a gift of luck!!" -- and pick him out of a country of students because of it.

In X-Men, mutants are generally discovered because the display their powers in public, or because their family/friends find out about them and report them. But once again, that's something tangible like "Oh, we saw him walk through a wall," not like, "Well gosh, this kid fell off his bike, but he's totally okay!"

Heck, if he was lucky all the time, then he'd have really high grades, because he'd guess all the right answers all the time-- but he doesn't. And yes, it might be "luck" that despite his mediocre grades, he still gets scouted for a top-tier school, but since he was accepted because of his luck, then that almost seems a bit contradictory.

I'm not doubting that "luck" is his reason for being at the school, and the reason he would be a huge asset to the school-- I'm just cynical about having "luck" as a power, in general.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
But if he's not guessing, but using his poor judgement, he would over-ride his own luck. Particularly if he's stressing/trying too hard because he usually gets poor grades he might override his good luck. And they say people are lucky in one thing, but not in another, so the question would be does he have general good luck, or personal health/welfare good luck? If the latter, then he'd be a great bodyguard-just keep him within 3 ft of the person needing to be protected. Hence the testing to confirm the extent of his luck.

All it would take is someone noticing a pattern, like a couple near-miss accidents. How did they discover the protagonist's power in the first Xanth novel? WHen the (at the time) evil magician kept trying to destroy him with magic & other beings, even the air around the boy transformed instead of the boy. Finally the baddie figured out the protagonist had magician class-more powerful than the evil magician's-magic.

And there was point 2-that not all of those flashbacks are Keita's even though they involve Keita. Someone from his childhood has power at that school. The other child in the flashbacks is credited as being Kazuki, so the question is, if this is true, why doesn't Keita recognize Kazuki? (I'm sure we'll find out in future volumes. And yeah, credits can be a huge spoiler as well as answer why the VA sounds so familiar)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
Senna wrote:
I'm getting pretty excited about Noein--I've only recently gotten the first volume, but what I've seen so far is intriguing.

It is a great series so far but the incredibly slow release rate is killing my excitement for it. It seems the standard 2 month waits aren't so standard anymore, you have a show like Noein with 3 month gaps schedules so far and then a show like Solty Rei which is so far schedule with only 1 month gaps.

Not much was shelf worthy this week, then again the only one that was happened to be the only title I'm interested in or watch. I've had a mild interest in seeing Guyver just because I watched the original a long time ago which resparked my interest in anime, although it wasn't until Escaflowne that I really got back in to it. I have a feeling though that if I watched Guyver now not even the nostalgia factor would save it, it's just not the type of series I'm really in to anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Gakuen Heaven was worth it. I'll definitely pick it up. I didn't watch the fansub but I heard about it. Thanks for the wonderful review!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
But if he's not guessing, but using his poor judgement, he would over-ride his own luck. [.....] And yeah, credits can be a huge spoiler as well as answer why the VA sounds so familiar)

Oh, hmm, you're right... Guess I'll just have to keep watching. ; )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3