• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New English Toei Website

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Toei treats their Japanese customers with respect

What do you know about the way Toei "treats" their Japanese customers ?

As far as I know, Toei doesn't treat it's Japanese customers any different from its American customers. But that business model works in the Japanese industry (partially because they're Toei), while it doesn't work in the American anime industry.

Perhaps the new website is a first step at changing the way they interact with the American public. It's too early to tell though (which means it's too early to dismiss it too).

Mohawk52 wrote:
Their main failure is, and has always been, them treating the western market the same as their Japanese market. It never seemed to click to them that the rest of the world is not like Japan. The other failures was their licensing decisions, which can also be attributed to their apparent ignorance of who would give them the most bang for their yen, and who to avoid like the pox.

Very well said.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx: If it makes you feel any better, Toei certainly screwed Japanese Sailor Moon fans as much as those based in America.
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It is more the latter than the former. Their main failure is, and has always been, them treating the western market the same as their Japanese market. It never seemed to click to them that the rest of the world is not like Japan. The other failures was their licensing decisions, which can also be attributed to their apparent ignorance of who would give them the most bang for their yen, and who to avoid like the pox.

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, so if I am please correct me. However, the problem was very much that Toei produced a substandard product in the US that never would have been tolerated in Japan by the Japanese market. Their choices in titles were fine, if not massive money makers, and would have sold decently if quality had been better. If they had simply taken what they gave the Japanese in terms of quality and provided a good translation through an established company there never would have been any issues. They obviously had done enough research to know how to price the dvds, and they had Geneon telling them what wasn't working in the releases. Yet they ignored all of that and failed because of piss poor quality. Why? I have no idea. But the issues we got in poor dvd production are something I've never heard from the Toei R2 buyers. So, from that point of view, the problem is that they didn't treat R1 the way they treat R2.
Mokkori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It is more the latter than the former. Their main failure is, and has always been, them treating the western market the same as their Japanese market. It never seemed to click to them that the rest of the world is not like Japan. The other failures was their licensing decisions, which can also be attributed to their apparent ignorance of who would give them the most bang for their yen, and who to avoid like the pox.

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, so if I am please correct me. However, the problem was very much that Toei produced a substandard product in the US that never would have been tolerated in Japan by the Japanese market. Their choices in titles were fine, if not massive money makers, and would have sold decently if quality had been better. If they had simply taken what they gave the Japanese in terms of quality and provided a good translation through an established company there never would have been any issues. They obviously had done enough research to know how to price the dvds, and they had Geneon telling them what wasn't working in the releases. Yet they ignored all of that and failed because of piss poor quality. Why? I have no idea. But the issues we got in poor dvd production are something I've never heard from the Toei R2 buyers. So, from that point of view, the problem is that they didn't treat R1 the way they treat R2.

When Mohawk52 mentioned "licensing decisions" I believe he was referring to things like Toei's decision to give the One Piece licence to 4Kids.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Mokkori wrote:
When Mohawk52 mentioned "licensing decisions" I believe he was referring to things like Toei's decision to give the One Piece licence to 4Kids.
BINGO! You get a choccy biccy. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
Bless me Father for I have sinned, but it's not that long ago and I had to add this little tid-bit that was recently reported at "the other place" .
ANS wrote:
3-19-07 (9:30AM EDT)---- Toei To Offer Works Through DVD Toaster Download And Burn Service
Similar to techniques pioneered in the world of fandom,(What on Earth could they mean?) Toei has announced a new deal in Japan with Webstream Ltd. and their DVD Toaster service which will allow consumers to purchase and download works that can then be legaly burned to DVD and viewed on the fly. The Video Toaster system and business model is said to be a worlds first ehich starts in Japan in April, 2007.
Yet another genu has crossed the river.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3