• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Rumble: Harima is win xD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I recently started reading this, on chatper 52 at the moment, I must say, Harima defently is the soul and savior of this comedy. It would not be nearly as hilarious as it is a the moment if it was not for his stupidity, rash judgements, ignorance and awkward situations. He just screams hliarious whenever he is on a page. I find myself hoping each page contains something about him because everything that happens around him ends up hilarious.

So far his best quote imo: "I will never fix another air conditioner again. Do not ask my why." xD
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
I recently started reading this, on chatper 52 at the moment, I must say, Harima defently is the soul and savior of this comedy. It would not be nearly as hilarious as it is a the moment if it was not for his stupidity, rash judgements, ignorance and awkward situations. He just screams hliarious whenever he is on a page. I find myself hoping each page contains something about him because everything that happens around him ends up hilarious.

So far his best quote imo: "I will never fix another air conditioner again. Do not ask my why." xD

Haha. I love Harima. In a non-homosexual way...

School Rumble is probably one of my favorite mangas (and animes) out there. The begining was slow, but really, after like chapter 20 something, I couldn't stop laughing. Even the romance is good. It's hard to find some scanlations though, the one I read stopped short. Just got to wait till they update it again (as I don't like torrenting).

But all in all, I just can't wait till the third season of the anime comes out.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
You're right. "School Rumble" would be nothing without Harima. If you think it would start as loving romance between Tenma and Karasuma (who didn't know about Tenma's feelings). But where is Karasuma now? Nobody cares about him. It's Harima who keeps this manga/anime alive. No one else.

Here in Germany "School Rumble" has also many fans.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I also have to hop on the Harima bandwagon. At this point, I full believe that he provides the driving force for the story. I've only read through the third volume so far, but even so, he's failed to disappoint me. I've posted this sentiment elsewhere, but to me, any character who instinctively turns to zodiac-based fortunetelling as a response to their depression cannot be a failure. Simply put, it's the sheer absurdity of how he acts that has his firmly established as my favorite character in School Rumble.
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Harima is easily the best male character in School Rumble. I've read all 216 normal chapters and 47 or 48 "b" chapters...this is my favorite manga at the moment. For the people not too far into it, you have much to look forward too.

Blood Dragon: I can't tell you here but I know where you can get the latest school rumble without torrenting....
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I really like School Rumble too. Maybe for the Azumanga Daioh feel or it's sheer hilarity, but School Rumble really struck a chord with me. I agree, Harima is the coolest character. He's very likable and breaks the sterotype of the school deliquent. I like the pairing Harima/Eri personally more than Harima/Tenma.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Mini Jesus wrote:
Harima is easily the best male character in School Rumble. I've read all 216 normal chapters and 47 or 48 "b" chapters...this is my favorite manga at the moment. For the people not too far into it, you have much to look forward too.

Blood Dragon: I can't tell you here but I know where you can get the latest school rumble without torrenting....

Lucky Americans. In Germany we only until chapter 119 now or "b" 27. That's only the half chapters you have.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
If any of you have read the arc when spoiler[they had that nighttime battle royale at the school,] that is one of my favorite arcs of the series. And in that arc Harima gave one of the funniest performances I think he could ever give while this series has been running. Truly this man is crazy for love, and it's gotten him into quite a bit of trouble. But to see the results of what goes on makes me want to read more and more to see the comedy get me down. Peace out.
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
I love this series. I love that it focuses on two idiots. Granted that I have only seen the first season and a half of the anime and only read the first volume of the manga, I can already tell that only good things are on the way. (I wish money grew on trees so I could catch up on the manga volumes). I have to agree though with the people who like the Eri/Harima pairing. I also like the thought of Tenma's sister (her name escapes me at the moment) and Harima.

I love Harima's managerie. I was dying at that part and that's in the beginning. I hope this manga runs for a while.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Harima is the only loser in a manga which looks very cool. He never wins, he is always on the lose...but he still stays pretty cool. That's great.
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Momoko_Yumi wrote:
Mini Jesus wrote:

Lucky Americans. In Germany we only until chapter 119 now or "b" 27. That's only the half chapters you have.

Actually, as far as American releases go, we haven't even hit chapter 100 yet....I just know places on the internet. I do buy the manga as it releases though, I have all 4 volumes available and am looking forward to the 26th to pick up volume 5.

Figherholic: Dear that was an awesome arc, my favorite though still comes a little later. I absolutely love the spoiler[Class trip to Kyoto arc]. Not sure why, I just really like that arc.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Torhu_San wrote:
I also like the thought of Tenma's sister (her name escapes me at the moment) and Harima.

Yakumo.

In the English GN 4, you do see how sympatico they do seem to be, especially with regards to animals. I did read, however, that the reason that she can't read his mind (as opposed to other people's) is because spoiler[Harima has absolutely no feelings for her]. I don't know if that is meant to be true, but would seem to cut off that path of development for a while at least.

Harima/Eri is good for laughs, but it's be a disaster waiting to happen Laughing At least with Harima/Tenma, they are so dense that any serious misunderstandings can be turned into lesser ones Razz
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
All the more reason that Yakumo could fall in love with Harima. She doesn't get close to boys because she already knows what they are thinking. This would give her time to get to know and fall for him. I think in time that these two could be a super cute couple. Plus they would have that idiot / straight man pairing that works so well.
demonkinsin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well due to your excentric approval of this manga and it's characters, I think I am going to pick up this manga and check it out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scialen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I've just seen both seasons of the anime and I really do praise it for not only the quick-fire comedy but how it just keeps going.

Do you guys also recommend the manga for it? I am itching for a new series and I don't mind grabbing a few volumes of something familiar. From what I understand, it has the plot of the anime and then some (like School Rumble Z?)

Manga-to-anime comparisons are always going to be highly debated, but would you say it is a safe bet to pick up the manga after the anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2