• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discussion On GinTama's Chance of Making it Big in 2 meduims

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuckian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Will the currently syndicated in US Shonen Jump, GinTama, be the next big liscene?

It's not the worlds most popular manga and anime series but it does have enough spoofs and spunk to make it big in North America. But it may be overshadowed by the upcoming North American Release of Death Note. However it is still a Jump series so it's potentional to greatness it still huge, as other Jump series, like Dragonball, and Naruto have proven. And with it's bimonthly release of the manga by Viz Media starting in June, GinTama may very well become the next big series. But will the Anime be shown on North American screens and become a smash hit like it's Jump Siblings? Well, first someone needs to liscene this series, despite the fact that the anime has only been airing in Japan for about a year it could still be liscened by Viz, of FUNimation. I think though, that just like Death Note, Viz has this one locked up.

So, do you think that GinTama will become Jump's next big thing in North America? Or will it be under the shadow of upcoming releases, and become a BoBoBoBoBoBoBoBo type of show. And who do you think will be liscening the Anime series of the same name?
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
So far Gin Tama seems like a cool series that could do good here. Viz probably wants to see how well the tankobans sell before they consider the anime though, but as seeing how popular Kenshin and Naruto are it could take off. With Kenshin ended now Gin Tama could be Viz's next Samurai manga.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well GinTama isn't the most serious anime out there, after all, one episode is partly devoted on Gintoki trying to get Weekly Jump.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Doubt it. I'll be honest, and say that I'm having a hard time explaining why I don't think Gintama will work very well here... but I'll do what I can:

Gintama is a parody, one that plays off of not just stereotypical anime traits, but specifically off of other Jump series like Naruto and Bleach and often seems to be referencing very specific moments and scenes. Don't get me wrong, I've been off and on watching the show, but it just doesn't strike a chord with most anime fans here. The Jump crowd here isn't gigantic, at least not the part of the crowd that religiously reads anything and everything in there and then enjoys seeing it made fun of. I guess I can't speak for everyone obvious, but out of the 20+ish regulars at my anime club, only one of them is a serious fan (and I really don't know if he's the buying type), and I'm the only casual fan. Even many of the other general fans who seem to enjoy most things turn their head when it comes on.

Basically, it seems to only be targeting a small section of the Jump crowd, and with only that group as even potential fans... it just doesn't strike me as the most promising business proposition, there's far more sure bets out there right now in my opinion (though far fewer recently Very Happy ). Also, the fact that fansubs are more than 5 months behind, and nobody has bothered to catch up when the really popular shows like Naruto get more than 5-6 groups and they are out with 2-3 days tops... shows that the fansubbers aren't exactly placing it first in their books either, which really isn't a good sign for the popularity of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Well, GinTama could be a late bloomer in the fansub market.As agian this show is only a little shy of a year old, I wasn't a member of this board when Bleach, and Naruto were this old but I can't imagine they were as big as they are now here back in early 05. It should also be noted that I've never watched the Anime, but I've been reading the manga, and from the episode summarys not much is different.

There is a market for GinTama, Viz proved this. As the only reason GinTama is getting serialized in US Shonen Jump is due to a poll which Viz did in late 05-early 06 which asked readers if they wanted GinTama in Shonen Jump after a preview. But you are correct,GinTama doesn't have the largest readership and has a relavitely small fanbase compared to other SJ Manga/Anime Titles.

Part of it's charm, parodies, is one of it's staggering downfalls. As it may exclude viewers from understanding it's jokes as many are parodies of other Anime titles.

Edit-100 Posts...atleast it's on one of my favourite manga titles.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt Gintama would be the next big Shonen Jump title in the US. In fact, I doubt it will ever be licensed. As much as I enjoy the manga, I found the anime pretty bad. It just wasn't working for me so I dropped the series. And that's pretty rare for me considering I'm a diehard Jump fan. I didn't like it and like selenta mentioned, not many other people do either considering its lack of popularity in fansubs. If the manga randomly comes in and dominates in book sales then maybe we'll see the anime, but I think we'd see something like D. Gray-man get picked up first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1