• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
As much as I love to watch anime dubbed I know it will never be the same as the Japanese version. It is made in Japan for the Japanese language so thats the language it does best in. It doesn't mean it can't be good but it is not the original. When buying a DVD your money is going to more then just the English voice actors. You give money to the company and the creator which in return lets more DVD's to come out that you can buy and watched subbed.
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
i'm pretty much offended by practically everything the ranter said.

the elitist and "i'm smarter than you cos i know about wikipedia" tone in their words not withstanding, they're just dub bashing. basing their BIASED opinion on, from what it sounds like, early 80's and hentai dubs.

i wont say every dub is perfect. but i am SO tired of hearing people whinge about it. if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH IT! and then don't come on the internet and berate everyone who will listen with why it's bad (or why dubs are bad in general for that matter)... cos you know what... the people who watch the dub... don't care that you don't like it... that's pretty much it... you can rant all you want... but i'll still watch the dub if i have a choice.

oh, and the price of the DVD wont come down just because it doesn't have a dub on it. if you believe it will, you're fooling yourself.

as for the yaoi fangirl glomping random people in the street. how is it she hasn't been pepper sprayed yet?

Last edited by rekishi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
To the "squeeing" girl:
I'm all for gay rights, and if yaoi has opened your eyes to that, then great. But I think this "squeeing" Confused thing is a bit much.

To the ranter:
:sigh: yet another "dub/sub" thing. I swear, anything involving this has got to be closing in on Avogadro's number. So, I'll be quick; I disagree that the VAs being used are of mediocre quality, I find most to be, at the very least, competent with a few bad ones scattered about every now and then.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'll agree with the rant in the sense that it's irritating that part of the price of your anime DVDs are to pay for the dub, and sometimes the dubs are terrible, but dubs have vastly improved over the years. I guess it's a matter of opinion, though - there are even some Japanese VAs who I feel do a mediocre job in certain roles. I always rail against the Fullmetal Alchemist dub, which I feel is overrated, but I'd be foolish to acknowledge that I'm in the minority in disliking it. Some people don't even like the Cowboy Bebop dub all that much. It's possible, I guess.

The thing is that you're not paying for the dub, you're paying for the product itself. While it's fine that you don't enjoy the dub and skip it, keep in mind that other people are also paying to watch the dub and skipping the sub. It kinda works both ways.

Or we can go back to the VHS days when you either buy the dub or the sub and they would both cost about the same.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
About the rant responses: I have to say I'm pretty amused at how some people seem to think they're the pinnacle of the otaku fandom if they watch shows with both english and japanese dubbers. It doesn't matter which audio track you listen to or the quality of the voice acting, be it japanese or english, the fact remains that you'll be able to squeeze out more of the dialogue originality when reading subtitles. Whether the english dub is more enjoyable and the japanese dub sucks or vice-versa doesn't matter. I've heard my fair share of bad japanese voice acting, even though it's rare and voice-actor specific; not show specific. But still, the sc. purists, including me, will watch the japanese audio track with subtitles because we can squeeze more dialogue out of it and because it was the original production. The other "purists" everybody likes to go against are actually the ones that compare and unfairly proclaim japanese voice-acting as superior. With the real purists, it's not about the quality of voice-acting but about extracting as much of the originality as possible. And you can't blame us for that. I believe bundling the quality of voice-acting and the quality of dialogue in this perpetual dub vs. sub debate, which is 95% of the time about the quality of the voices, is nothing but unfair.

Last edited by crilix on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
sumgai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
I don't get why dub watchers are so offended by the ranter (maybe because I'm a sub watcher myself)? I used to be a dub watcher untill I discovered fansubs and was forced to watch it in japanese. I still prefered dubs back than but slowly began to love the original versions.
Anyway, to it seems that the ranter's main point is that American VO's can be better. Isn't that something everyone can agree on? Even if you prefer dubs, theres
plenty of room for better acting right? Or is everyone really satisfied with the dubs?
There are dubs that I still enjoy such as cowboy bebop, but they're not perfect (just as Japanese counterparts may not be perfect). Extras always sound like crap no matter what.
What I'm trying to say is that regardless of what the Japanese version is like, whether you think it's garbage or not, English dubs can always be improved. If you listen to an anime next to a live action movie, there's a HUGE difference in the quality of acting. Wouldnt it be great if you couldn't tell the difference between the two?
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
And thoughts of those stupid Yaoi/Yuri Paddles suddenly rush into my head.

Trust me, most BL/yaoi and GL/yuri fans hate them too, ESPECIALLY the vendors making asses of themselves trying to sell those things. Every con I went to, very, very few people brought from them and they're usually the boisterious type and teen fangirls.

But about the yaoigirl, I think it's not just her hobby that make her that way (actually, it plays very little part in it), but her personality as a whole. As a former member of my old alma mater's anime club for four years and former vice president for nearly two, you will notice that it's not the people's hobbies that makes them act like they do, but that's how people actually act themselves. So this girl is most likely one of those people who have little regard of personal space. I'm a yaoigirl and I KNOW better than to "glomp" some gay man because, you know, I have respect for someone's personal space. It's nice that being a yaoigirl introduced her to advocate for gay's rights, but someone needs to tell her to dial it down on the glomping on random strangers or squealing on them. This should pertain in any aspect of encountering people that are different than you in some aspects of life. I can't tell you how many times that I get that old Brooklyn, New York myth that there's a shootout in every corner or that NYC is a dangerous place, especially Brooklyn. While, Brooklyn have its bad spots, it's pretty much relatively safe, especially for a part of a metropolis. NYC is actually one of the more safer cities so there's a unlikely chance you would get shot/mugged/stabbed at night if you use some street smarts. And no, not everyone speaks in that annoying Brooklyn 'fuggetaboutit" accent either (although we have a hard 'r' pronoucation, I heard).

But I'm frankly sick and tired of BL/yaoi being the "explotitive" genre. Is it unrealistic? A gigantic majority is very, very much so. But as other romance genre as het or GL/yuri. We do not and SHOULD not read manga/watch anime and think it totally displays actual real life (although they can give glimpses but it's usually over-exaggerated). If you went to say it's as highly unrealistic as other genres of anime/manga, Zac, it would be okay, but it prickles me when only BL/yaoi is called out like that unnecessarily.

Plus, the intended audience for BL/yaoi is for women 18+ and up. I do see sometimes the disdain from older fans about the younger fans acting like the girl in the letter. But I won't deny a majority of fans are in the 13-17 range (myself becoming a yaoigirl at 17 and been one for nearly 6 years).

And about the ranter, I can see what he come from with paying for the dubs from some anime and would most likely never even bother watching in the first place. But I see them as a neccesary evil. Let's face it, a weeping majority of anime fans are causual ones who most likely rather listen then read the subtitles. More fans buying meaning more chances of buying my favorite anime when it comes Stateside. While dubs are getting better, a majority aren't there just yet. Sometimes we get awesomes dubs as Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and the Big O for started, we get crappy ones such as Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist an any anime produced by 4kids. But I'm not complain unless they don't do the subtitles or use dubtitles in it's place. As long we have that option to have subtitles based on the original Japanese script, you can't be really complaining.
luhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
I have Anime Network, so I've seen a lot of ADV dubs and frankly, they're not very good. The women VAs have odd and cartoony styles for the most part and the men are generally rather stiff and um, dull.

The fact that the same 10 people seem to do all the leads in their dubs doesn't help matters much, either.

Funimation has the best dubs out there right now, I think. They share some of the same VAs with ADV, but the actors seem to turn in better performances for Funi. Maybe it's the direction?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
The whole gay rights thing: who cares? Theres a freakin war in Iraq and people wanna argue over gay marriage... If people wanna be gay, let em be gay. If people dont like it, they dont have to like it. They just gotta tolerate it. I never really got the whole Yaoi thing. Idunno about girls (im a dude) but lesbians really never did it for me. If you support gay rights great, but you think that gay people wanna have you come up to them and tell them so? hell no.

As for the EBS (expanding boob syndrome) disscussion: Idunno, I dont really have anything to add here. I just wanted an excuse to say expanding boob syndrome.

As for the flake: Awww...thats mean. That wasnt stupid enough to warrant Flaking. I do agree though, I dont really see how Anime can be a religeon. The main focus of your life? yes (although it shouldnt be.) But religion implies beliefs. What exactly are your beliefs if Anime is your religion?

Furthermore: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....Best Puppy Ever!

I really dont wanna go into the whole Dubs vs Subs debate as its been beaten to death. Basically this rant is entirely the ranters oppinon. Its also not the majority of Anime fans oppinion. The quality of Dubs is fine. Its stupid to expect big name actors or w/e to voice Anime. It would massively increase the buget and you have a hell of a time finding people to do it. Besides, do you think japanese voice actors are all these big name, highly skilled actors?
sumgai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know how much truth is in this but I heard that for American voice actors it's like a part-time job while it's a profession for Japanese vioce actors.
Does anyone know how true this is?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Quote:
It's great if reading Yaoi has turned your friend into someone who supports gay rights; anything that promotes tolerance is A-OK with me. But "squeeing" when she sees a gay couple, like they're adorable zoo animals or something? That's simply dehumanizing and disrespectful. "Glomping" is a terrible practice anyway and I can't imagine someone doing it outside of an anime convention.

And thoughts of those stupid Yaoi/Yuri Paddles suddenly rush into my head.

I got smacked by one of those once, nearly took the damn and hit the girl upside her head. I don't hit women though, lucky for her. Though if she's cosplaying as a man do I consider her a man or girl???? Some cons are outlawing those things. You all know and have seen those free hugs and free glomp signs people make right? Otakon banned them last year because the Baltimore City Police almost arrested a few people. Yea those signs outside the con center, that's called solicitation. The fine working girls of B-more do not appreciate you stepping into their turf!

Oh and sumgai, it is a side job here. The reason is they don't make enough to make it a full time job. The ones that do have to do all kinds of other work like ADR scripting, or directing to even pay their bills. If the industry could afford to pay more I bet you more would do it full time.

As for why dub viewers hate sub purists so much, I can't answer for anyone but myself. I hate EITHER side of the extreme. I'm talking about the "I hate subs cause they suck" and the "subs are the only way to watch it cause dubs suck" kind of people. The unrelenting, idiotic, unintelligent trolls who think that they know everything. You watch dubs or subs simply cause you prefer the anime that way then that's fine. Just don't sprout off about how the other sides sucks and you're so totally awesome.

BTW Zac, regular cheetohs or the curls? Curls are better Razz
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The whole gay rights thing: who cares? Theres a freakin war in Iraq and people wanna argue over gay marriage... If people wanna be gay, let em be gay. If people don't like it, they don't have to like it. They just gotta tolerate it. I never really got the whole Yaoi thing.

Sometimes when I watch Yaoi I get the feeling that the creators really couldn't care less about gay rights and education. In fact Yaoi is hardly educative, same with hentai. If fangirls want to broaden their minds and interpret it in their own way and embrace sexuality, that's great. The girl featured in Answerman is just going through a phase and will get over it soon, but good for her - at least she's making herself heard, even if it might be a little creepy. Plus it's quite ignorant to say that there's a war in Iraq therefore who cares about gay rights. That's like saying the polar ice caps are melting so why are we discussing religious fundamentalism? I mean, what the heck "The whole gay rights thing: who cares?", umm... The millions of gay people around the world who are discriminated everyday? You may tolerate homosexuality but the millions of people who don't understand it and aren't educated about it don't, therefore it's significant if one person suddenly comes to a realization that "Hey, gay people aren't really any different to me". If someone wants to celebrate this fact by watching yaoi, or taking more interest in the gay community and events then that's wonderful.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
The whole gay rights thing: who cares? Theres a freakin war in Iraq and people wanna argue over gay marriage... If people wanna be gay, let em be gay. If people don't like it, they don't have to like it. They just gotta tolerate it. I never really got the whole Yaoi thing.

Sometimes when I watch Yaoi I get the feeling that the creators really couldn't care less about gay rights and education. In fact Yaoi is hardly educative, same with hentai. If fangirls want to broaden their minds and interpret it in their own way and embrace sexuality, that's great. The girl featured in Answerman is just going through a phase and will get over it soon, but good for her - at least she's making herself heard, even if it might be a little creepy. Plus it's quite ignorant to say that there's a war in Iraq therefore who cares about gay rights. That's like saying the polar ice caps are melting so why are we discussing religious fundamentalism? I mean, what the heck "The whole gay rights thing: who cares?", umm... The millions of gay people around the world who are discriminated everyday? You may tolerate homosexuality but the millions of people who don't understand it and aren't educated about it don't, therefore it's significant if one person suddenly comes to a realization that "Hey, gay people aren't really any different to me". If someone wants to celebrate this fact by watching yaoi, or taking more interest in the gay community and events then that's wonderful.

my comment is directed more towards people who have problems with gays. Ofcourse gay people, care about gay rights. I didn't mean that nobody actually cares, Alot of people care alot on both ends of the issue. Thats the problem. My point is: People are gay. You dont have to like it, you can think its wrong/immoral/whatever but they can do whatever the hell they want so you gotta accept it. Get over it. Accept that theyve chosen to do this, let em do what they want and give em the same rights or w/e already so we can move on to other issues. If the whole yaoi thing helps people to reach this attitude or otherwise learn to tolerate homosexuality then yeah, great.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ChichiriMuyo wrote:

*shakes his head in disgust*

*eats cheetos, drinks mountain dew*

I applaud your response and snack choice, but your drink choice could use some work. Wink

On the content of the actual article, I can't say that I have ever seen an overzealous "superfan" like the one described, and I have a good smack upside the head ready for the occasion. It's pretty simple. When your inane and childish obsession directly infringes upon someone's rights (read: directly bugs the crap out of someone), you need to back off. If you can't back off, you have some serious growing up to do.

I have seen a little exaggeration of boobage in various places for various reasons, however, a lot of times this exaggeration is somewhat temporary and halfway explainable by something trivial (time/maturity) or justifiable in the situation presented. For instance, the creation of fanservice in in beach scenes especially seems to give the girls a boost for an episode or so. Of course, this doesn't necessarily make it good, but... It does happen. Hey, it's better than teen pop stars having a different bust size every time you see them. At least here the drawing doesn't require surgery. Shocked

The rant is a somewhat interesting take on the whole dubs/subs issue, but it is still somewhat narrow in the fashion of many of these such rants. I suppose dubs are not *always* satisfactory, and are almost never perfect, but that is of no consequence. It does take effort to dub things with all considerations made, and one cannot expect everything to be perfect. Audiobook "actors" will probably never be an option for the anime dubbing world, as an audiobook voice actor would probably not step outside that particular community in the first place, let alone for a totally different medium. Also, expense may be an issue as well, as these famous actors or "better" actors may charge too much for the feeble budget of anime dubbers and licensing companies.

The fact remains that this issue is largely decided on a personal basis. People decide whether or not they like dubs or subs, and it would probably be wise to allow those people to watch the show the way they want to watch it. It's all personal preference. But who needs logic, eh?
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
My point is: People are gay. You don't have to like it, you can think its wrong/immoral/whatever but they can do whatever the hell they want so you gotta accept it. Get over it. Accept that theyve chosen to do this, let em do what they want and give em the same rights or w/e already so we can move on to other issues. If the whole yaoi thing helps people to reach this attitude or otherwise learn to tolerate homosexuality then yeah, great.

I agree and understand your point. Just to get one thing straight though (no pun intended), gay people don't choose to be gay. In fact among my gay friends we have all discussed the topic and decided that we would do anything humanly possible to not be gay if we could, that's why it bugs us more when we're discriminated. We never chose it, and we would rather live a normal heterosexual life. Just so that's clarified. Anyway this is offtopic enough.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19