• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metal Gear Solid, Catherine, Toriko Game Promos Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Didn't think Laura would approach the character with her bubbly tone...
...almost as much as I didn't think the player of the demo would SUCK! Razz
(did they say that they were gonna release the Substance/Subsistence versions?)

Michelle sounds like a good fit for the authoritative take that Kotono did.
And... who can complain with Troy?

Also, being as I haven't seen/played Zone of the Enders, I wonder how soon we can see trailers of that?
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Also, being as I haven't seen/played Zone of the Enders, I wonder how soon we can see trailers of that?

I still think Laura sounds great for Catherine, regardless of the tone she uses. And to be fair, it's the director who gets to say how she sounds in the end. Just like SF4, she wanted Chun-Li to be badass sounding, but they said make her cutesy which was a dumb move, which is why she sounds like crap in SF4 but not too bad in MVC3.

I was also wondering whether they were releasing substance/subsistence or not, I would hope so.

ZOE i'm so happy is getting an HD collection, those were great games and ZOE3 needs to be made.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
That was one trippy Catherine trailer. I'm so looking forward to this one.

As for Peace Walker......whoever was playing that is in for a seriously rude awakening. :/ That game will even take the most hardcore gamers, and eat them. Guys like that are practically cracked pistachios.
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they intended people to think this way, but I find Katherine more attractive than Catherine...

Oh well, Atlus never lets me down, can't wait for this one.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
lmao the face he makes when she says she's pregnant.
j123ready

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for MGS Rising! Now that's going to be a good game.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I too thought the gameplay footage of Peace Walker HD was lame. Did the player not know how to fire a gun?
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I still think Laura sounds great for Catherine, regardless of the tone she uses. And to be fair, it's the director who gets to say how she sounds in the end. Just like SF4, she wanted Chun-Li to be badass sounding, but they said make her cutesy which was a dumb move, which is why she sounds like crap in SF4 but not too bad in MVC3.

Oh no, I just meant that Miyuki brings out a more seductive tone; why not let her use a more "Lust"-ful tone???
And a bubbly tone actually does suit Chun-Li given from what I've heard via Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Quote:
I don't think they intended people to think this way, but I find Katherine more attractive than Catherine...

I'm sure this whole story's message will be about the devastating truth: Be careful what you wish for...
Although with preference taken into account it could also illustrate the beauty of: To each their own... Anime hyper
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

?

I don't know that Konami has said which versions of MGS2 and 3 will be included. While it would make sense to give the Substance and Subsistence versions from a content perspective, I don't know if they will. One of the big draws of Subsistence was the inclusion of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. However, HD versions of 8-bit MSX games would probably suffer from any sort of uspcaling. Then again, they could leave those alone. Also, the Subsistence version's main selling point was Metal Gear Online, which moved onto MGS4, so there is that. Personally, I wouldn't mind too much if they go with the original version of MGS2 since the VR missions could make for some really ridiculous trophies. Most of the VR was fun, but some was just pointless or much harder than necessary.

I'm pretty pumped for Catherine. The last time I was genuinely excited about a Japanese game was last year when Peace Walker came out.
gothung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Woo! Catherine! Only a month away.

I'm a little disappointed that the voices sound... "acted"? Or rather, "unnatural"? C'mon folks, this is finally a game where the characters are adults (as opposed to teenagers), how about we just let the voice actors portray the characters using their normal voices?

Still won't keep me from getting the game though.

And did anyone else get a School Days flashback when Catherine says "Do you even have a baby in that ice cave?" to Katherine (it's at about 1:00 minute in the trailer). Couldn't help but picture a Catherine rooting around inside Katherine after hearing that....
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:

Oh no, I just meant that Miyuki brings out a more seductive tone; why not let her use a more "Lust"-ful tone???
And a bubbly tone actually does suit Chun-Li given from what I've heard via Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

She's more bubbly in SF4 and it makes it really bad tbh. MVC3 was more her own thing it sounds like.

I don't really know if a deeper voice like Lust would suit Catherine, she seems like she would actually suit Laura's real voice actually, but I do agree they could've made it more seductive being as the plot of the game is seduction. Honestly though, I'm just happy Laura is doing the voice at all, I thought from the first time I saw Catherine that Laura would be perfect for her.

As for whoever it was that said to let all the other people use their normal voices, Michelle Ruff (Katherine) is actually using a voice deeper than her normal voice and Troy Baker always sounds like an adult so I really don't see the problem. The only one who's really not using their normal voice from what I've seen is Yuri Lowenthal. But he's more of a side character it seems so I don't really think that matters too much.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I don't know that Konami has said which versions of MGS2 and 3 will be included. While it would make sense to give the Substance and Subsistence versions from a content perspective, I don't know if they will. One of the big draws of Subsistence was the inclusion of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. However, HD versions of 8-bit MSX games would probably suffer from any sort of uspcaling. Then again, they could leave those alone. Also, the Subsistence version's main selling point was Metal Gear Online, which moved onto MGS4, so there is that. Personally, I wouldn't mind too much if they go with the original version of MGS2 since the VR missions could make for some really ridiculous trophies. Most of the VR was fun, but some was just pointless or much harder than necessary.

I'd love to see MSX Metal Gear 1 & 2 on the HD collection. But if they're excluded, I'll still buy the HD collection like I did with the other HD collections I bought for PS3 including Sly Cooper & God of War.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
Metal Gear Solid 2-Substance & Metal Gear Solid 3-Subsistence confirmed.

Joystiq (with links to original source) wrote:
Hideo Kojima, comfortable in his natural habitat (Twitter) provided details of two regional versions of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. In Japan, the collection does not include Peace Walker, but does have a download code for the first Metal Gear Solid. The "overseas version" (meaning the one we get) doesn't include the download, but incorporates the HD version of Peace Walker.

In both regional variants, the HD version of Metal Gear Solid 3 is based on the "Subsistence" re-release, which means it has optional, user-controllable camera angles. That version also comes with the emulated MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2, adding two more games to the collection!

Kojima also said that the Metal Gear Solid 2 HD release would be based on "subsistence," by which he must have meant "Substance." He wasn't clear on whether the basis was the PS2 or Xbox version -- a distinction that seems minor until you learn that the PS2 version had a skateboarding minigame that we need in HD. Finally, Kojima tweeted an image of the trophy icons for MGS2 and 3, which you can see after the break.

http://a.yfrog.com/img640/3817/wwehhb.jpg

Awesome to see Metal Gear 1 & 2 get another release here since i never owned the original Subsistence release on the PS2 so i'll be looking forward to this collection much more now. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1