Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chobits DVD Complete Box Set [Classic]


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Otaking09



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 614

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
(applause)

...that's all I have to say. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
child of Lilith



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 137
Location: Egg of Lilith ( the black moon)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Excellent review.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Although this was a pretty good series, there were parts of this show that genuinely creeped me out. And like Carl said, I never once could ever tell if those parts were thrown in on purpose or not.

It's been ages since I last talked about Chobits, but even now, I have a feeling some of parts were thrown on purpose and some weren't. It's really hard to tell, especially later in the series.

But here is one aspect of the show I've still found slightly confusing. How did Hideki pay for his apartment room and college? From what I remember of the show (it's been several years since I watched the show, let along really discuss it) Hideki did not have a job and I don't think it ever mentioned that his parents were paying for anything.

I know it's a minor detail, but it's a reasonable question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sewingrose



Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 512

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although this was a pretty good series, there were parts of this show that genuinely creeped me out. And like Carl said, I never once could ever tell if those parts were thrown in on purpose or not.

It's been ages since I last talked about Chobits, but even now, I have a feeling some of parts were thrown on purpose and some weren't. It's really hard to tell, especially later in the series.

But here is one aspect of the show I've still found slightly confusing. How did Hideki pay for his apartment room and college? From what I remember of the show (it's been several years since I watched the show, let along really discuss it) Hideki did not have a job and I don't think it ever mentioned that his parents were paying for anything.

I know it's a minor detail, but it's a reasonable question.


Hideki worked in that bar called "My Pleasure", along with Yumi. There where quite a number of scenes there to. Also, Chi worked in a bakery for a while to bring cash in as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3485
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
I know that this is off topic but is the blu-rays for the show an upscale or true hd?? I have all of the 6 genon single dvd's way back when I was in high school "class of 04" i am just curious to know if the quailty is any better. Other than that great review, The manga and anime still hold a dear place to me and always will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 2186

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
I never really bought the chemistry between the two leads, which sort of made the show a failure in my mind, at least as a romance show. Chi had no character to speak of, and Hideki spent most of the show just coming across as an idiot. I don't think he ever did anything I didn't expect, and if I didn't know what he was going to do next, I could safely bet that he would be confused (and some helpful character nearby would explain something which would, once again, totally blow his mind).

What attracted them to each other? Programming for Chi, and... what, for Hideki? There was nothing there but "cute and helpless" for him to like.

There are interesting issues of humanity and machinery to present, but at least in the anime, they were almost entirely applied to the supporting cast. I didn't feel that Hideki and Chi spent any time grappling with those issues, because neither seemed to have the intellectual or emotional capacity for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dagon123



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 191

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I know that this is off topic but is the blu-rays for the show an upscale or true hd?? I have all of the 6 genon single dvd's way back when I was in high school "class of 04" i am just curious to know if the quailty is any better. Other than that great review, The manga and anime still hold a dear place to me and always will.


Just stick with the DVD's. the blu-ray is an upscale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lascd123



Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a review of Chobits that actually captures the appeal of the series. Just recently, Shelf Life reviewed Chobits and I was appalled by the lack of context in the review. It seemed like most details, and opinions on the material, were taken from a back of the box synopsis and not from someone who had seriously reviewed the series. While I would argue that Chobits is more in the B+ range due to the unnecessary filler episodes (lets watch Chi do something cute!), I think that this review captures the essence of the show perfectly and reminds me why I fell in love with this anime so many years ago. Great review!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asimpson2006



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3150
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Pretty spot on review. Chobits is a favorite of mine and it is about due for a rewatch (have not watched it since 2009). I have the Geneon singles so I have no reason to buy it again (Nothing against you Funimation, but I do not need to double dip for this show.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although this was a pretty good series, there were parts of this show that genuinely creeped me out. And like Carl said, I never once could ever tell if those parts were thrown in on purpose or not.

It's been ages since I last talked about Chobits, but even now, I have a feeling some of parts were thrown on purpose and some weren't. It's really hard to tell, especially later in the series.

But here is one aspect of the show I've still found slightly confusing. How did Hideki pay for his apartment room and college? From what I remember of the show (it's been several years since I watched the show, let along really discuss it) Hideki did not have a job and I don't think it ever mentioned that his parents were paying for anything.

I know it's a minor detail, but it's a reasonable question.


Hideki worked in that bar called "My Pleasure", along with Yumi. There where quite a number of scenes there to. Also, Chi worked in a bakery for a while to bring cash in as well.


Entirely forgot about that detail. Though I think I remember (very vaguely) of him working somewhere.

See sometimes it's the little details that make a show interesting, or in this case, answering a question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kohii



Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 428

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
lascd123 wrote:
Finally, a review of Chobits that actually captures the appeal of the series. Just recently, Shelf Life reviewed Chobits and I was appalled by the lack of context in the review. It seemed like most details, and opinions on the material, were taken from a back of the box synopsis and not from someone who had seriously reviewed the series. While I would argue that Chobits is more in the B+ range due to the unnecessary filler episodes (lets watch Chi do something cute!), I think that this review captures the essence of the show perfectly and reminds me why I fell in love with this anime so many years ago. Great review!


Finnegan's review was a little harsh. I don't think she liked it very much.
This quote is borderline libel.
Quote:
CLAMP only cared about making Chi as cute as possible...


But enough about that. I whole-heartedly agree with this review. Chobits is more than just eye candy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
utawoutau



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the high valuation of this show. While there is nothing I find objectionable or terrible about Chobits, I felt as if the show had very little to say, the characters were uninspired, there was a pervasive sense of "ick" throughout the whole series, the pacing was slow, and the entire production was pretty forgettable overall. In fact, I forgot that I had even watched it (the entire series) before seeing this review today.

Chobits is absolutely nothing I would recommend to anyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
stowrag



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Loved the review: it said most everything I never could about the show.

It's the complete opposite of the shelf life review though. (animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2011-05-30)

I guess Chobits (and it's philosophy) is either hit or miss, although I have to disagree with anyone who says Clamp only cared about making Chi as cute as possible and fanservice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeresist



Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 978
Location: a 320x240 resolution igloo (Sydney)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Chi had no character to speak of


I disagree with this, and think most fans would too: Chii had a strong mournful, yearning quality which made her sympathetic and made Hideki's attraction to her tolerable.

It's been a while, but I remember finding this one of the better dubs, due largely to Crispin, whose character carries the show.

My only real problem with the show is the magical Pinocchio ending, which sidestepped all the issues looming over the story. I think a better ending would've involved discovering that Chii's personality had actually been uploaded from a real person.

"Don't date robots!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tuor_of_Gondolin
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 2158
Location: Bellevue, WA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist,

But the ending was in keeping with the whole situation involving Chi: *everyone* commented on how Chi shouldn't be able to operate without an OS, and that was because she was different than all the other persocoms: *her* programming allowed her to learn and feel emotions, all the rest of them only *simulated* emotions based on their programming. This is why, unlike normal persocoms, she had no memory and knew no words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group