• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Disgaea DVD 1&2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The game was great. It was fun and it had tons of replay value. The story and characters were funny as well. Sadly the anime was very average and very boring to me. It just was not as funny as the game. Confused
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Granted it's not Grade-A; but it's a lot better than most game-based anime.
I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of better game-based animes out there (When They Cry, Fate/Stay Night, Kanon 2006, Air, Tales of Phantasia etc.)

It's definitely better than, say something like Xenosaga the Animation. *shudders* I wish I had never watched that one.[/quote] I've heard that Disgaea doesn't have much to offer to those who haven't played the game, and judging by this review, I can believe it. Maybe a better comparison would be something like Arc the Lad, which was at least decent in most places. At least AtL tried to offer up more of a plot and managed to be coherent to people like me who'd never played the games.
Onikawa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
You can say that Disgaea is boring, but if you have played the original game by itself, you will hate it even more.

they deviated away from the original plot, and made a lot a ot of fatal mistakes that contradicts the original game. And the horrible English dub just makes it worse (try watching the Japanese dub, its much better)

few fatal flaws :
1) Gordon and gang doesnt come out until the end.
2) They put in several filler chapters just for the heck of it, horrible.
3) In the game, they actually visit places and start from the castle, the prince in a dump idea is horrible.
4) The switch body episode was rather stupid, not to say, badly animated. and Flonne supposedly say "tsuya tsuya" when she slep, but the interval makes sound like she's chanting.. and not snoring.
5) They raided Hoggmeisser's home IMMEDIATELY, and not after a few palaces.
6) Laharl and gang didn't meet Maderas in his palace, he aint got one, they met him in SnowField Joutenheim.
7) The Prinny land thing was overdone. its just an optional dungeon in the game witrh no events whatsoever.
8) The Maharl idea looked like a joke, but its the best filler episode.. i guess...
9) Gordon and gang, with Laharl's party, is supposed to go on a picnic, where the basket gets stolen by Mid Boss, in the game, thjis could have been depicted out very wel, but they didn't.
10) After Gordon joins, they also meet the spirit of the 1st generation Defender of the Earth. this scene can also be depicted very well, but once again, they didn't.
11) Jennifer likes to call Laharl as "Harlie" (or Laharl-chan in Japanese), because she thinksits cuter that way, but she didn't.
12) The tome didn't play THAT much a role in the game, in fact, there wasnt even a tome.
13) The Seraph isnt a wimp, in normal game (no "Stronger Enemies" passed) he has 22000 HP and is lvl 90, and if you didn't mad overtrain like me, you will probably only be doing 400 damage per character, which means 4000 damage per turn max, besides, there's about 5 angels in that fight, where did they go!?
14) The anime's ending is spoiler[ a mix of "Best" and "Normal" ending, the seraph didn't die (like in best ending), but Laharl still sacrifices his life away (like in normal ending). And where did mid-boss go? he's supposed to turn up for both endings, and admits that he is Laharl's dad, with the shadow of the mum and all]

And Finally...
15) FLONNE (and Etna actually) DOESNT LIKE BEING FLAT CHESTED!
she should have fired up when Laharl said "your flat chest cured my nausea", but when she said "thats good" it just doesnt sound like something the real Flonne would have said.

and a hel lot more, but any more and ill be spamming.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. ~Zalis]
Editted too, maybe u guys ddnt like he point abt the dark dumplings, so i changed it.

Last edited by Onikawa on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I think they were entitled to change things from the game. No one's saying that a game-based anime has to follow the original plot religiously. I mean, every book's story is altered when it becomes a movie, etc. That's just what happens.

I do agree that it was a poor adaptation, but it's not simply the fact that there were changes that bothered me, it's the poor execution of the show that failed to make me laugh that bothered me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
I really didn't care about the plot changes. I cared that the show sucked. It just wasn't funny. Okay, the one episode with Flonne and Etna switching personalities was mildly entertaining, but it wasn't nearly enough to keep me watching beyond that. Frankly, I don't think many people cared about the plot changes.

And is it really necessary to go into all those spoilers? Anyone who has played the game knows there were a ton of changes and that's all that really needed to be said. Keep in mind that this review only covers the first two volumes so anything about the ending or pretty much anything about the game needs to be spoiler tagged. You sort of hid one thing (which my eyes saw anyway, even though I didn't want to, thanks a lot) but didn't tag other things that should have been.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Onikawa wrote:
And the horrible English dub just makes it worse (try watching the Japanese dub, its much better)

I agree about the English dub vs the Japanese dub. The Japanese is much more tolerable than that thing they call the "English dub." The only voice I really enjoy in the English dub is Michelle Ruff's Etna, but that isn't enough to save the rest of the dub. Just terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ladara7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
To each his own, I guess : I had never heard of the game before hearing of the anime and yet I really enjoyed it. Love the opening and ending songs and Etna is really cute. I look forward to the third DVD. Too bad it's just twelve episodes though : a longer series would have allowed more of this character development anime is so good at.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Onikawa wrote:
And the horrible English dub just makes it worse (try watching the Japanese dub, its much better)

I agree about the English dub vs the Japanese dub. The Japanese is much more tolerable than that thing they call the "English dub." The only voice I really enjoy in the English dub is Michelle Ruff's Etna, but that isn't enough to save the rest of the dub. Just terrible.

I disagree, the English dub was much better. I couldn't stand the fansub, but after watching it in English, I loved it more. Laharl, Etna, and Gordon are my favorite, especically Etna, just nailed her really well. Sub didn't really express the funny to me, especially in the video game.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Onikawa wrote:

I disagree, the English dub was much better. I couldn't stand the fansub, but after watching it in English, I loved it more. Laharl, Etna, and Gordon are my favorite, especically Etna, just nailed her really well. Sub didn't really express the funny to me, especially in the video game.

Well, at least we agree on something, that something being the English Etna. Michelle Ruff did an excellent job indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Onikawa wrote:

4) Krischevkoy died of Dark Pretzels, and not from Dark Dumplings

Not true (and is that minor a detail really all that important anyway?). The game doesn't show the foodstuff in question, as I understand it, so the game's translators were free to substitute a food more familiar to the American audience. The anime (again, as I understand it) does show the dumpling in question.
Onikawa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
well, sorry, didn't read that this is only abt the first 2 dvds. ill pretty much edit it afterwards.

and i dont know how to add a spiler t... oh its there... whoops

and yeah the dark dumplings part, it got me, but hey, fans must have an eye for detail, i guess.

by the way i prefer the Japanese Laharl's Laughter (yeah, the sarcastic sounding one) rather than the Japanese, and the prinnies too. (if you have played in Prinny Land in the game, the English voice will sound really boring and intolerable, the way they scream DOOD like that. now try it 11 times per turn)

and.. once again... spoiler[ the ending for the anime is actually good, except it mixed both the endings, i like how they actually show how Flonne is animated in that... new costume... rather than a pitch black screen with voices]
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Too bad...
I know nothing about the game, but I saw the characters on some Disgaea fan site and thought they were adorable. Based on the little that I know about the characters, Flonne and Etna remind me of the title characters in Risky/Safety, and I'd hoped the anime would be as cute and funny as that series. I'll pass on this one, unless I find the series dirt-cheap on eBay, or the bargain bin at Best Buy.
burnfist23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the game, I was definitely disappointed. However, it was because all the changes sucked. Everyone should know by now that when a video game is being animated, there will be numerous changes to the plot and characters. Unfortunately, none of them were for the better. If anyone wants a good adaptation of the game, then please do yourselves a favor and read the Disgaea manga. The manga may be even less faithful to the plot and more cramped than the anime, but it's only one volume and is easily better than the anime could ever be.

That or just buy the game.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
EngrishFan wrote:
As a fan of Nippon Ichi games I was extremely disappointed with the series (especially after watching the much higher quality trailers, the one that came with Disgaea 2 in the US and the other which was present in D2 for Japan). It almost seemed like they had two seperate studios working on the trailers and the anime, with the majority of the budget going towards the former.

I felt exactly the same way too. After seeing the trailer (which made me drool like a mad fangirl), the actual anime itself was a yawn-fest. I hated the way they had messed around with the plot to the game, & the first 4 episodes were an utter chore to get all the way through. I've had the 2nd DVD sat on the shelf for a little while now, but I don't know if I can stomach anymore of this banal series at the moment (not after the 'high' I got from the finale of My-HiME).

The trailer probably rates as the most misleading trailer I've seen for an anime series; if you're a fan of the game like I am then avoid, as you'll just end up being extremely disappointed. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2