• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eiken -- masterpiece or offensive?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trivial

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, last night I was in a pretty good mood and I came across this gem of a two OVA episode series.

This anime like quite a few others, tries to push the limits of what is deemed watchable. This anime sells, ginarmous busts, ridiculous sexual situations and crude sexual innuendo in the hopes of garnering a few laughs. If you take it for what it is, a sort of luducrous parody of the harem genre and high school anime, you might find it a little funny.

When I looked at the animenews network ratings for this anime, I was pleased to see how many awful votes it got, but discouraged that it got so many good votes. In my opinion when you watch ludicrous animes such as these there are only two rating awful and a masterpiece. Do they keep you laughing the whole way through or are you offended and want your 40 minutes back?

For myself at 4am in the morning its been forever since I've laughed so hard at something so completely outrageous the whole way through.

I guess my question is if you've seen this anime did it make you laugh? Or does this comedy only entertain twisted boys?

What are your impressions of other similar over the top or masochistic animes. Like Excel Saga, and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
HAHA, quite a few prople around DO NOT like this show at all because it's a horrible attempt at comedy through extreme ecchi-ness and oversized boobs that aren't even attractive and are kind of scary.

Anyway, I like it, it's funny to me but the characters that I liked were the Blonde Chinese girl who can deep throat a chocolate banana and the little sister girl that always makes the main character touch her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Eiken, and based on what I just read on Wikipedia, I am going to avoid this one.

Trivial wrote:
What are your impressions of other similar over the top or masochistic animes. Like Excel Saga, and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan?

I've only seen the first episode of Excel Saga, so I can't really speak to much to that one, but I have seen Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan though. I love Dokuro-chan. Anime smile It was just the right combination of gore and ecchi to satisfy me for 4 episodes. Dokuro-chan is a masterpiece of comedy and worth the watch. If you can handle it, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marklungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brian Hanson's comments on Eiken from his current Click column:

Quote:
Eiken
(Encore Action)
Just so we're clear, if any of you actually end up watching this terrible show at any time, I will promptly find out where you live and punch you very hard in the genitals.
-Tue Mar 20 12:00am - Episode 1
-Tue Mar 20 12:35am - Episode 2

Very Happy
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brian Hanson's comments on Eiken from his current Click column:

Quote:
Eiken
(Encore Action)
Just so we're clear, if any of you actually end up watching this terrible show at any time, I will promptly find out where you live and punch you very hard in the genitals.
-Tue Mar 20 12:00am - Episode 1
-Tue Mar 20 12:35am - Episode 2

Very Happy

I don't normally read the Click, but that's a funny comment. Thanks for pointing it out. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Eiken is a masterpiece (no where near a masterpiece) or offensive. I didn't find it terribly offensive, disturbing but not offensive. I just found it to an awful; it wasn't funny and the concept was terrible.

I like Excel Saga, though I'm only 4 episodes in. The Love Puny episode (episode 4) with it's h-game/dating sims parodies was hilarious. I loved the part where Ilpalazzo was getting annoyed by Excel and the options to do to her were a) hit her, b) scold her, and c) put it in. Laughing

Dokuro-chan, on the other hand, wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of gore and I didn't find it to be that funny either.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw Eiken just a few days ago myself, and I thought it was pretty funny. I thought it was going to be a nightmare from all the bad ratings it got in the encyclopedia, but I forced myself to watch anyway it just because of all the controversy that surrounded it. It wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it was going to be, and I actually kind of liked it. It's one of those so-bad-it's-good shows that really make you think whether to deem it the "Worst Ever" or a "Masterpiece," so I went the middle ground and rated it So-So. I guess I'm just desensitized to rampant over-the-top sex jokes since I didn't find it offensive at all, but I'm not really the type of person to get offended from watching a silly cartoon. Feel free to punch me in the privates, Brian, it’s not like it’s going to hurt anyway. Laughing

Edit:
How awesomely ironic is it that this is my 1069th post?
Case

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
"Ginormous" is definitely the right word for Eiken. Laughing

I've actually rented and watched it. For me, it's fun to watch in the same way that Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is fun to watch. You get together with a bunch of your friends and MST3K it. Endless laughs can be had pointing out the absurdities and embellishing on the already-ridiculous plot devices. If I'm in the right frame of mind and with the right people, I'll laugh so hard I cry.

Understanding that, I think people shouldn't be afraid to give the show a try. If all anime was convincing and moody like Elfen Lied, we'd all be emos and there'd be no variety in anime. Don't take it too seriously (it doesn't take you seriously) and you might find it uniquely enjoyable. Smile
marklungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I don't normally read the Click, but that's a funny comment. Thanks for pointing it out. Laughing

Get hooked--you'll love it.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
eiken eh?

the first time i tried at anime club 5 minute and i was out the room. then my bro tivoed it when it was on encore....40 minutes was wasted of my life.

i wasnt offended since i like women too but i surly wasnt turned on. i mean a anime like that might as well be hentai and the fact that 9 yr old should have boobs like that!

its no where near masterpiece. compare it with an actual all around loved masterpiece anime series/movie/ova. doesnt hold a candle.

in my opinion...its not offensive or a masterpiece....how about...offpiece. well call its an Offpiece
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised that nearly everybody who watches Eiken seems to consider it hentai, or close to it. Perhaps it is the huge mammaries -- it strikes me that the sight of massive secondary sexual characteristics tends to turn off mentation in younger males (which is to say, a major segment of anime fans). Most people just don't seem to be able to see past that particular (huge and jiggly and completely unnatural) aspect, and actually look closer at the anime itself.

At any rate, Eiken has always seemed to me to be a parody -- a funny (albeit somewhat bungled) send-up of the ecchi anime style. I mean, when you get right down to it, it doesn't turn you on... it makes you laugh. That alone is enough to signify that it's a comedy.

Whether it was actually intended as a comedy or as a spectacularly oddball ecchi anime, I have no idea -- though my money is on the comedy being intentional. It's simply too in-your-face to be otherwise.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Eiken is surprising to a lot of people. Due to how big some of the boobs get on those girls, sure we'd like to see some big boobs but on a ten year old?! Shocked I wouldn't consider this series a masterpiece, but I don't consider it the worst either. More like amusing you could say.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I found the show to be very funny and entertaining. It seemed to me that the huge boobs were an obvious shot at comedy and parody as abunai mentioned. the sheer ridiculousness of the show is what made it funny for me. It's not just the boobs but the fact everything is laced with sexual innuendos. I mean the vanilla pudding slide was just funny. There's also the fact that one girl always has something phallic like in her mouth. Everything in this show was put there to get in your face and make you laugh. I feel it's obvious that the show was created to simply make fun of the ecchi genre. There's no way the sheer amount of sexual innuendos thrown in your face could be anything else as I see it. Well I guess the creators could have been on crack Confused
sykosteve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider it a masterpiece, but I find it hard to find expressive entertainment media to be offending. Certain things aren't made for certain people. If I didn't like it, it wasn't made for me and therefore no reason to find it offensive.

I enjoyed the show, though I found it to go a little overboard on the character's busts which I think detracted from its artistic merit, as I do a lot of judging on character design. I think it took what could have been fairly attractive(imo) character designs and whored them up. But hey, as internet rule 32 states...Everything is a fetish. No exceptions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't consider this hentai, and am surprised anyone could. It was one of the most ecchi things I have seen without being hentai, but I couldn't call it sexual either, despite it being over the top dripping with sex references.
Frankly, the jigganormous breasts scared me, especially where you see the one girl tied up in this rope or something barely covering anything and NO NIPPLES peeking out or around...it's like she is nippless and that makes it look more like cheesy lard than a breast. Scary.
I did find parts funny, but enough to say it was a funny show? No. Would I recomend it? No. Was I offended though? No.
Something also very ecchi and not (always) labeled hentai without the big boobs and better was I Dream of Mimi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2