• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moe Culture Featured in Newsweek Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Wtf is lolicom >_> <_<

Moe is nifty.
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
it's short for lolita complex Smile
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, now people are going to give these sorts more 'justification' by calling it a culture and not, you know, a fetish for cowards.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Wtf is lolicom >_> <_<

Same thing as lolicon. Just that "lolicon" is closer to the Japanese romanization for the term (derived from rorita konpurekkusu), while "lolicom" is closer to the original English term, Lolita Complex.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh, never knew that.

I was assuming it was a typo =)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Awesome, now people are going to give these sorts more 'justification' by calling it a culture and not, you know, a fetish for cowards.

I don't see how it can't be both (not saying it's either though). It can be a cultural fetish for cowards.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I don't see how it can't be both (not saying it's either though). It can be a cultural fetish for cowards.

I'm not going anywhere with that, but I am waiting for someone to quote Ken Akamatsu to me (or others) about how Moe is actually a timeless spaceship of thoughts and emotions that made the entire universe and is older than man.

Because you know, the secrets of nature from the beggining of man are encompassed inside of a pedophile apologist lolicom who writes comics about underwear.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I am waiting for someone to quote Ken Akamatsu to me (or others) about how Moe is actually a timeless spaceship of thoughts and emotions that made the entire universe and is older than man.

I already know that me and you (as well as others) disagree upon what moé is, so I don't feel any need to get into that here... And I am too busy watching my generic moé anime to argue. Maybe you'll get lucky with someone else though.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I couldn't have said it better (rather, I would have said more). All I can add is: Japan needs more GAR. >.>;;
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I couldn't have said it better (rather, I would have said more). All I can add is: Japan needs more GAR. >.>;;

Any more that needs saying is bordering on an insult, Japan just ignores GAR. Shame.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
GAR?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
GAR?

It's a retarded meme which is the more masculine, male version of moe, turned on it's head. It's somewhat more acceptable because it doesn't have that obviously creepy rape association put on it.
10円

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
I wish we had an ANN resource that could provide more information on this report. As is, I'm left wondering what maid cafes have to do with moe and why lolicon 'dating sim' games are considered part of the same phenomenon.
Ninja337

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of disease anime fans have that makes them think that some random little girl on the Gaza strip, who obviously knows how to use Google image search and MSPaint, putting Haruhi on a poster is some sort of symbol of anime's omnipresence. If anything, this is a sign that anime fans have clogged up the internet's tubes so much the shit is flying all over the place.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with PantsGoblin here, everyone has a different definition of moe in their minds; it all boils down to what that person's tastes are. As for myself in moe, I consider a large range of stuff moe, but I'm not one of those super fanboys and all that. That being said, I still want to start a cosplay cafe around here cause all the businesses around here pretty much use the same uniform, some colored shirt tucked into some other or same colored pants and black or brown shoes.....even the restaurants. It would be more of a change of scenery on this bible belt than a display of moe :O

Back on topic, it's good to see that their mass media did an article on the subject, it shows that they think it's worth looking in to, unlike most of our current stuff *cough*Anna Nicole*Cough*. I personally think that the spread of Japanese culture is a good thing, and unlike CNN or the AP, I don't think they're trying to take over the world with cuteness.

@ PantsGoblin I'll have to agree with those animes, have seen the first one, but am watching the second and almost done with the third (I'd say something more about the second one, but if I'm watching it you already know, mascot-kun Very Happy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5