• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I know there are a fair number of fans of this manga here on the forums, since the title was mentioned enough that it inspired me to pick up the first volume.

I have to admit though, I was disappointed with it. Perhaps my expectations were rather high, but I didn't find it as entertaining and I thought I would. It was interesting at points, but nothing really grabbed me.

However, I also didn't dislike it, so my question for those who've read it is this: if I'm not really into the series at this point, is it worth my time/money to keep trying it? Or should people who like the series be pretty much hooked by the first volume?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
If you didn't like the first volume, I don't think there is much point in continuing. It's pretty much the same for the rest of the series. There is a slight shift around volume 5 or 6 to a more slice-of-life and character focus, but if you don't like it now, I doubt you would like trudging through it to get to that point and I don't think it would be enough of a change to make you suddenly like it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually disagree. I also wasn't that impressed with the first volume, but in my opinion it DOES get better as you go. Yeah, it's mostly more of the same, but you get more development of the characters and you also get characters added and you get more interest in OTHER characters. I can't say for sure you will LIKE it, at best I can only compare it to something or other, but if you weren't as impressed with the first volume because say... Saki is kinda bitchy and you're not impressed reading someone bitch about otaku. She mellows some, but also you get how other characters play off of her better in the later volumes.

Basically, if you'd like a more "realistic" Comic Party or a more expansive "Otaku no video", then Genshiken may grow on you. There's a lot of doujinshi and cosplay related humor, but the interactions between the members is interesting as it goes along. If you're not interested by the time Oguie shows up, then it's probably not gonna happen. Again, I don't know if I'd definitely recommend that you buy it, but (IMO) it DOES improve as it goes.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
You didn't say if you've seen the anime, so I assume not?

I had seen the anime before reading the manga, and since the anime is very faithful to it, I wasn't too excited about the first volume either having seen it all. However I do think it's better than the anime, but if you haven't seen it then that means nothing to you obviously Wink

I'd say it depends on how much you are into the whole otaku culture - because they go through pretty much all the aspects of it: manga, doujinshi (especially yaoi), anime, ero-games, games, cosplay, model kits and so on. If those interests you, then it's definitely worth giving it a second chance. If you like geeky slice of life, it's worth giving it a second chance.

I think especially in the beginning the humor is really low key but it builds up like a snow ball - the humor comes out of relating to the characters and their hobbies and fandom and experiences. The latest volume is so life-like it's almost not funny anymore, it hits too close to home for me (my husband works in the gaming industry, for those who have read it I can tell you that Kousaka's life is at times a spitting image of his). Not ha-ha funny, but real and warm-hearted, with bittersweet smell of change in the air.

Oh well. I love this manga... maybe give it another volume, and then decide? Maybe check out the anime and then decide?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
No, I have not seen the anime, I wasn't sure how close it was to the manga, but now that you've recommended it maybe I'll give it another try.

Overall Genshiken sounds like something I think I would like, which is why the first volume and my rather lukewarm response to it was surprising. Maybe I'll see if I can find someone who I can borrow vol 2 from as well.

Thanks for the responses.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Give the remaining volumes a try. Volume one certainly didn't win me over as well, and I was kind of shocked that Genshiken receives so much praise, so I continued on in hopes that it got better. Luckily, I found that it did.

It's solely dependent on whether the characters grow on you or not. If they are starting to be interesting/amusing to read by, say, volume three, then I'd say that you can shelf it and forget. I'd wager that that won't happen, though.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
No, I have not seen the anime, I wasn't sure how close it was to the manga, but now that you've recommended it maybe I'll give it another try.

Overall Genshiken sounds like something I think I would like, which is why the first volume and my rather lukewarm response to it was surprising. Maybe I'll see if I can find someone who I can borrow vol 2 from as well.

Thanks for the responses.

i cant believe i missed a genshiken thread! im a huge fan as my avatar says

instead of buying full volumes you can browse the bookstore and read parts...or all in my case of it.

like people said it does get more interesting as different situations happen but its still a slice of life of otaku.

It get intense with drama and love in the last 2-3 manga but its good. Oguie's popping up really shook up genshiken as saki did the first few. the focus goes from sashara to saki to ogiue....and its fun all the way.

if you watch the anime its cool but in the manga are things not in the anime that are hilarious. id give the series another chance.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

instead of buying full volumes you can browse the bookstore and read parts...or all in my case of it.

I can't stand people who do that. Books are there to be bought, not read for free.
CochraneO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

I can't stand people who do that. Books are there to be bought, not read for free.

Well, if you're lucky enought to have a good library system, you might be able to borrow volumes (perhaps even by inter-library-loan). At least with libraries, they actually encourage browsing and reading for free.

As far as Genshiken goes, I don't regularly follow the series myself, but I read a review here from someone who also didn't like the first volume but enjoyed a later one, so I was thinking it might be worth giving it another try.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
CochraneO wrote:

Well, if you're lucky enought to have a good library system, you might be able to borrow volumes (perhaps even by inter-library-loan). At least with libraries, they actually encourage browsing and reading for free.

As far as Genshiken goes, I don't regularly follow the series myself, but I read a review here from someone who also didn't like the first volume but enjoyed a later one, so I was thinking it might be worth giving it another try.

At the moment, a library isn't an option sadly Sad

Thanks for the link, I'll checked the review out, the reactions to the first volume seem fairly similar to my own, so I definitely will give the second volume a try someday when I have money (ha ha ha). But that volume will be the sink or swim test for the series, since I have other things that I'm collecting which I do completely love.
Ayokillyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is my favorite modern Japanese comic.

I started on volume 3 or 4 (randomly--it was on sale) and worked my way backward and foward. Luckily, this is the exact point where it got good. Volume 5 should have been volume 1 to me. I guess I'm part of the Ougie-era.

Currently, we're on volume 7 and it's magical by this point.
kolibri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Ayokillyou wrote:
Currently, we're on volume 7 and it's magical by this point.

Volume 8 is out this week, I just finished reading it. Pure. Gold. Continues to be extremely life-like, with extremely human and flawed characters with real issues that don't magically just go away. I'm referring of course to Ogiue spoiler[and her depression and anxiety attacks.]
fenriswol7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
In my case, I loved the anime so much that I just couldn't let the characters go, but I really hadn't bought manga before so I had some reservations. When I finally did buy a volume, I started with 2 which I absolutely adored. I now have all of the American releases, and I would tend to agree with the people who say that volume one isn't really one of the best. I'd really recommend that you check out volume 2 before giving up the series.

As for all of you who were already addicted, were you a bit disappointed with volume 8? I just finished reading it and felt pretty let down, but at the same time, I can't wait until 9 comes out Very Happy

Anyways, I hope you come to love the series as much as I do.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't disappointed with volume 8 at all. I didn't see any reason to be disappointed unless you didn't like the general direction the series has been heading.
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I thought volume 8 was fantastic. It hasn't been as funny in the couple of latest volumes, but intensity and realism has really stepped up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3