• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I think their next trailer should have it be happy sparkles for a majority of the trailer (with some action), but then the last few seconds turns dark (like a close-up of Mami's scared face), cue black screen and dead silence, one of the characters screams, MADOKA MAGICA dum dum dum.

I agree. I get the whole 'lull the fans into a sense of security, then BAM! Show goes dark' thing... but they have to remember that cute fluffly shoujo has a history of not doing well in the US market. The 'boo' factor doesn't work if everyone's left the room already.

Of course, being in the group that's seen the show already, I just want them to put a preorder out already! I have funds set aside just for this show! What's that meme- "Shut up and take my money"? That's where I sit. Laughing
kh_gal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This trailer is a failure. Not putting a single scene in when they're fighting witches has to be one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen for a trailer. Of course I'm buying this, but Aniplex's marketing team didn't even bother with this.

EDIT: Just look at this fan trailer (contains slight spoilers) and look at how much more it pumps you up than what AniplexUSA released.

I agree. The way this trailer was presented just doesn't fit the tone of the series at all. But then again, it starts out as misleading; one of your typical magical girl shows. Maybe Aniplex will show a darker trailer next time around.

And if you thought that fan-trailer was exciting, take a look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzgRj02v3mA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEDut5qVxU&feature=related

For dubbing, there's no way Aniplex could do better than this.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
The people complaining about the trailer are morons. Aniplex made a misleading trailer on purpose. You guys seem to be forgetting that, until Episode 3 hit and even non-viewers got spoiled, Madoka Magica was supposed to be a heartwarming magical girl series. The fact that it trolls the viewer was one of its selling points before it became common knowledge.

They already know that the series will sell based on word of mouth alone, so it doesn't matter if this trailer doesn't sell any copies. The misleading trailer is just a way to pump up fans all over again.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
This trailer dose nothing for this anime and how awesome it is
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm loving the bait-and-switch marketing they took with this show. I can't wait for them to give a release date!
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be between a rock and a hard spot when it comes to this show.

I've been wanting to see it for months, but I don't watch illegal streams or videos.
However, I also want to know if the show is my cup of tea before I purchase the entire set.

So to you fans that have seen Madoka Magica:

1. Could you describe what the show is similar to without giving away spoilers?

and 2. Anyone know of a place that actually sells Aniplex's titles? I have the most difficult time finding a store that sells them... (Best Buy maybe?)
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The people complaining about the trailer are morons. Aniplex made a misleading trailer on purpose. You guys seem to be forgetting that, until Episode 3 hit and even non-viewers got spoiled, Madoka Magica was supposed to be a heartwarming magical girl series. The fact that it trolls the viewer was one of its selling points before it became common knowledge.

They already know that the series will sell based on word of mouth alone, so it doesn't matter if this trailer doesn't sell any copies. The misleading trailer is just a way to pump up fans all over again.

Actually, Aniplex of America subtitled an already existing Japanese trailor, which means they didn't make it any way on purpose, because they didn't design it.

Also, episode 1 of Madoka opened with an ominous, somewhat creepy dream sequence and ended with a creepy, somewhat ominous witch fight. It showed from the very start that it would at least be visually inventive, and included a few hints that the story might be going interesting directions as well. And it was still too slow a start for quite a few viewers. I understand why they did the early episodes the way they did, I love the show for it, but at the same time I think it is also a weakness of the series in some ways. Once episode 3 came out, many people who weren't quite grabbed by the first episode gave the series another chance because of word of mouth.

And speaking of word of mouth, if Aniplex is trusting entirely to it in order to sell the series, then why are they bothering to subtitle and release a trailor?

The trailor was made for a Japanese audience, and I guess it worked for them. Of course, the Japanese knew how late at night the show aired, and also knew that Urobuchi Gen was involved in it, so a lot of them probably already had a fair idea it wasn't exactly going to be some normal series. For a US audience, I think a different trailer would be best.

Of course, in the end it's just a trailer, not the end of the world. But I would like to see Aniplex put together a different trailer that at the very least shows some of the series's unique visuals.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
"It's not what it looks like" is about as much as you can say without starting to spoil at least to some degree. Honestly, I can't think of any show it's similar enough to to really give you a comparison. I think it's not too much of a stretch to say it has some things in common with Princess Tutu, Game of Thrones, Spooks (at least the later seasons), and Memento, to name a few things; yet I stress the "some things in common" part, because it is, at the same time, not like any of those. Also, as an aside, I'll just say that the parodies of The Dark Knight and Madoka Magica are not without merit.

Read colonydrop's mostly-spoiler-free review, because it's well done review and it only spoils in very general terms.

Don't highlight this unless you want the true nature of the story: spoiler[The story of Madoka Magica is a tragedy in the traditional literary sense of the term.]
Kyubey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:

I suppose the only thing that I could compare it to is School Days in the way it completely changes genres part way in, although the like to hate ratio is about inverted and it's not as frustrating to watch. Although I did like School Days, it's a love/hate relationship because of spoiler[how it managed to make me genuinely hate everyone bar one person.]

In terms of content spoiler[it is highly faustian in nature.]
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
So to you fans that have seen Madoka Magica:

and 2. Anyone know of a place that actually sells Aniplex's titles? I have the most difficult time finding a store that sells them... (Best Buy maybe?)

1. Alien Nine! Only it actually ends. Smile

2. If you don't mind ordering online, Right Stuf carries all of their stuff so far! I don't think any brick-and-mortar stores stock Aniplex titles though.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
Quote:
Has a loving family and best friends, laughs and cries from time to time...
Madoka Kaname - an eighth grader of Mitakihara middle school- is one of those who lives such a life.
One day, she had a very magical encounter.
She doesn't know if it happened by a chance or by fate yet.
This is a fateful encounter that can change her destiny-
This is a beginning of the new story of the magical girls-

This is sounds like it was written by a Japanese person.

Just what I was thinking. Or they just did an awkward line-by-line translation. This (+the trailer) doesn't bode well for the amount of effort they're putting into what should be a tentpole series.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the good acting on the Durarara dub, I've got good hopes for the dub of this show.

HOWEVER, I can't help but feel a little concerned about how the character names are going to be pronounced.

I'd hate to come off as a jerkweed, but if I hear "Mah-DOE-Kah" or "Hoe-MOO-Rah"....I'll stick with the dvd's Japanese audio. Razz
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This trailer is a failure. Not putting a single scene in when they're fighting witches has to be one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen for a trailer. Of course I'm buying this, but Aniplex's marketing team didn't even bother with this.

EDIT: Just look at this fan trailer (contains slight spoilers) and look at how much more it pumps you up than what AniplexUSA released.

It's somewhat hilarious that a fan made trailer is much more exciting and really captures your attention rather than the one licensed company has created.

Even I think the fan made trailer is better and I haven't watched any of the series yet.

But this (at least in my opinion) doesn't seem like the first time Aniplex USA has made a trailer that really didn't capture the series. Durarara's trailer is a example of this.

The series is absolutely fantastic and really fun, but the trailer made it look not as exciting as the series actually is.

But one thing Aniplex is great at (maybe exceptional at with the addition with Durarara) is their dubbing work. So even though trailer's may not be their strong suit, at least they do a exceptional job with dubbing their series.
Kyubey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Even I think the fan made trailer is better and I haven't watched any of the series yet.

Not watching it is ironically probably one of the reasons why you think the fan made one is better. However, the show sets out to trick you in the first couple of episode so that you'll be surprised about it's dark tone, blatently revealing that it has blood and that spoiler[Kyubey isn't to be trusted] etc. ruins the surprises that come throughout the series.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

You may say that Aniplex made a misleading trailer on purpose, but you can't honestly say even a piece of that would fly on [adult swim]. On that note, it almost makes me wonder if Aniplex really made the Durarara!! promos they air on [as] that are sadly, action-devoid except for the iconic Celty scythe slice from the first 2 episodes, but I digress...

For American audiences, and especially if this is to follow Durarara!! to [as], the strongest thing they can do would seem to be the reverse: downplay the heartwarming Magical Girl appearance and go right in showing some of the darker action scenes from the first couple of episodes, and maybe some creepy close-ups of Kyubey's red eye, and him getting shot up or otherwise mutilated. That would likely hook the Bleach-heads who are already ready for a dose of moe, but not for the amount given in that trailer!

Sure they'd tune in to the first episode and be like "WTF IS THIS..." but maybe they'd stick around for the darker elements which begin to show themselves later. Or would they? And that's really the only problem with Madoka Magica. It would be a gamble showing this at 12:30 or 1 AM and hoping it becomes a sleeper hit later. But a trailer that shows off the darker side of the show would help.

Last edited by LagannImpact on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4