• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Akina Drift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Unless it was an Armored Armadillo or something like that.
Out of curiousity, is there a reason why you capitalized those two words? Part of me wants to believe it's a reference to the Megaman-X boss robot of the same name.
Anime smile Laughing That part of you is correct, I have to say.
That's awesome! It's cool to know there are other people out there who still love old games. I've got my old SNES hooked up and occasionally play that one and a few others like Shadowrun and Super Mario World.

Man, I feel old all of the sudden.

PantsGoblin wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
This is the type of series that typical dorky MOE fan love to hate.

What the hell are you talking about? Cars and moé go perfectly together.
The owner of that car may be taking his favored genre just a little too far. Then again, I'd kind of like to have a car like that myself so maybe he's okay. (Or I'm crazy.)

After re-reading the column, I think I'm more than a little interested in Kurau. The description sounds like something I could enjoy, but I notice it didn't say really say anything about the voice acting. Also, is this one of those, "get to the end only to shed tears of blood" kind of series or a "wow, things looked bad for a minute there but yeah happy ending!" kind of series? I really don't want to start watching if it's just going to end with severe depression.

If I want to be depressed, I manage that on my own.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
This is the type of series that typical dorky MOE fan love to hate.

What the hell are you talking about? Cars and moé go perfectly together.
Only in Japan would you find a paint job like that, Also that's NOT MOE! It's Loli!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also that's NOT MOE! It's Loli!

It's both. Nanoha (the girl pictured on the car) was the winner of the Japanese SaiMoe 2005 tournament, so I'd tend to think she's generally accepted as being moé. Also, if you look closely next to the front left tire, the word "moe" is written in red.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

It's both. Nanoha (the girl pictured on the car) was the winner of the Japanese SaiMoe 2005 tournament, so I'd tend to think she's generally accepted as being moé. Also, if you look closely next to the front left tire, the word "moe" is written in red.
Bah! He's not fooling anyone, especially me. Razz
randomx999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to tell people to watch Initial D for years, but people just won't give it a chance because of the first stage's character designs. Honestly, if you watch second stage, you'll see that the animation is alot better. If you watch third stage you'll think, is this even Initial D anymore? And when you watch fourth stage, your jaw will drop in awe and you'll be saying, what happened to the really bad CG animated cars? It's all in cell shading now!! Ah yes, Initial D 4th stage uses cell shading done right. Not only that, but the character designs are amazing! Even after telling people all that, they just say: "I don't care, Initial D sucks!" I really hate it when people don't give things a chance.
mpphan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that Jan Wayne song rocks. That .GIF animation, not so much, but it was pretty hillarious seeing the low quality.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
In retrospect, i guess the twin alien/messed-arround-with aspect is more like Figure17, which one of these days I will get around to watching, but I was wondering how you thought Kurau might compare with Saikano?

As to the review of Initial D, you really need to take a step back from the fandom when an entire paragraph (even if only a sentance or two) is that strongly colored by your jealousy of the whore (aka main character's girlfriend.) Then again, my favorite part was the bad music.

Point the third: I'm quite worried about all these reviews of the To Heart anime, as I had been looking forward to picking it up (once they satiated my box fixation, one way or another) after reading the mangas. Also a bit shocked that somebody would take out what little angst is there ... more shocked that it is even possible.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
In retrospect, i guess the twin alien/messed-arround-with aspect is more like Figure17, which one of these days I will get around to watching, but I was wondering how you thought Kurau might compare with Saikano?

I don't think Kurau and Saikano are really similar, actually, so I can't really compare them. At least, not only having seen more than four episodes of Kurau. I've always thought Saikano was more a story of strained teenage love than anything else, but in Chise's struggle to figure out how to remain human, I can kind of see bits of Kurau in her, as she tries to preserve "Kurau"'s body for her father.

In terms of mood and atmosphere, though, I don't think the two really relate, as they explore different themes. For what it's worth, Saikano is one of my favorite series of all times, and I still managed to enjoy Kurau quite a bit, as it has a touch of humanity that sets it apart from your typical action show.

To UndeadBen:
Auuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhh your dog is sooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuute. D: I think I short-circuited when I saw those pictures.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
To UndeadBen:
Auuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhh your dog is sooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuute. D: I think I short-circuited when I saw those pictures.

He says thank you. Or at least he should, but I haven't taught him manners yet. But he did enjoy chewing on Desert Punk, I can't fault him for that.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Bah! He's not fooling anyone, especially me. Razz

Here's another picture of the Nanoha-mobile, which I would SO love to drive around out in publicif I was actually old enough to drive. And I'd install a speaker in the car that would say "HERE COMES A BIG FAGGOT" every time I honked the horn.

And I don't really don't want this to turn into another silly lolicon debate, but I don't understand what you're getting at, Mohawk, since anime characters can obviously be both moé and loli at the same time, and Nanoha is a perfect example of such a character. Why would people like loli characters in the first place if they weren't as cute as a button?
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to note that I got my To Heart DVD and watched the first 2 (of 4) episodes, and I've got to say that while I see all the complaints you had with it and consider them valid.....I absolutely loved the show. It's far more idealized than anyone's high school experience in the history of the world (most certainly mine!), but I found it had a very wonderful, nostaligic tone to it that I really appreciated. Time to pre-order Vol. 2.....

PS "Childish An Hour" is probably the worst fake band name in the history of fake band names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
PS "Childish An Hour" is probably the worst fake band name in the history of fake band names.

I was wondering if it was supposed to reference an actual band and the only thing I can come up with is Mr. Children. Which is probably the worst real band name in the history of real band names. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4