• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype Announces New Clamp Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kobato includes a number of crossover characters from other Clamp series, including Chobits and xxxHolic, as well as original characters, and is about a young girl with a mysterious bottle that must be filled by helping others with their problems.

Ugh!
getaGRIPanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
thats cool and all but seriously clamp needs to stop with cross-over charries i mean it was cool in tsubasa and xxxholic but enough is enough
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, wasn't this done in Tsubasa and xxxHolic? Not a big fan of Clamp, their artwork is pretty, but good god, enough is enough. No more crossovers! Finish other manga you have started, like Legal Drug. Yeesh.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh...are you serious? CLAMP... Sad
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I used to like CLAMP just because they had such gorgeous art and good stories, but I'm tired of what appears to be a repeated trend of them getting bored with their stories or writing themselves into a corner. I really wish they would just finish their series first, e.g. Legal Drug, before starting new projects.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Wow, wasn't this done in Tsubasa and xxxHolic? Not a big fan of Clamp, their artwork is pretty, but good god, enough is enough. No more crossovers! Finish other manga you have started, like Legal Drug. Yeesh.

*sigh* you said it. i mean, i really liked Tsubasa for a time, but now at vol. 9 i'm really starting to lose faith in its storytelling (with the whole "piffle" race deal. blegh).... and i'm still getting into Holic, so i really like it so far.

but i'd much rather see a continuation of Legal Drug than a brand new series... 'specially one with a less-then-riviting premise. i mean, yeah, cross-overs worked great for Tsubasa and Holic but doing another one kinda ruins the theme for them, y'know? And what's with the plot? "a yong girl has to refill a bottle by helping people"? uh... doesn't sound all that ground-breaking or even worth-while to veteran manga readers. (i mean, sure, CLAMP kinda paved the way for some genes way back when, like Cardcaptor Sakura always being a fond memory for magical girl fans, but c'mon) Sad
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that people didn't complain much about CLAMP School Detectives, CLAMP Paranormal Investigators, Duklyon, X, Tokyo Babylon (well not really that one) since there were crossovers in all of those Shocked

But also in Tsubasa, it's not actually a true crossover since they have different backgrounds and personalities, with similarities, than their original stories.

Edit: Oops I forgot to add Miyuki-chan in Wonderland since that crossed over with other ones too (but not sure if it was only the anime). And 20 Mensou ni Onegai as well which is definitely a meld with the CLAMP School Detectives.

I actually enjoy the fact that CLAMP has created their own world that goes beyond just one series. I guess its because you might get a more well rounded feel about the world they created.

Last edited by Asako on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Everyone seems to hate the crossovers. I actually love them.

Like Asako said, how come people only complain about Tsubasa? o_O

And you know, even though it says that Kobato. (They forgot the period. D: - Sorry. Pet peeve.) is a crossover. The crossovers are minimum. They aren't massive crossovers like in Tsubasa. It's like reading CLAMP School Detectives, and their crossovers.

Anyhow, they said there isn't anything wrong with Gohou Drug and they're going to finish it. Also, all CLAMP works crossover in one way or the other. It's pretty fun trying to guess what came from what series and what not. CCS had minor crossovers too. Like the book that Kero was reading. spoiler[It said, "Angelic Layer."]
kimishita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The crossovers in Kobato really aren't that heavy at all.
In the original version they were a bit, but in the version they made for Newtype, I bet the average person wouldn't even notice a lot of them.
In comparison to Tsubasa and xxxHolic, Kobato has almost no crossovers. There are a couple minor characters.
Kobato is exactly the right amount of seriousness for a Newtype serialization.
With a 15 page chapter, what do you expect?
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Kobato has crossovers, but it's not the premise like it is in Tsubasa. They're just minor characters, that's it.

And for those of you who think Tsubasa is getting old, don't worry, it gets better once they're out of Piffle... The Acid Tokyo storyline is my favorite because it's the start of a much darker, more serious Tsubasa...

As for Legal Drug, I had heard that they dropped it quite awhile ago... But I suppose it'll just go into the same black hole that X/1999 did...
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty I don't think it's going to be that bad. So it's another crossover - I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that's you can compare with Tsubasa and XXXholic.

However, are they running out of ideas or did they assume that Clamp fans wanted to see their fave characters again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
So who owns the rights to this CLAMP title? ADV Manga? Or is this some special deal with Del Rey?

If it's the former, man, I'd be really impressed.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Kobato was cute. But that was it. I rather want CLAMP to finish X/1999 then Legal Drug, then continue Kobato.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote
Don't say things like "CLAMP should finish Gouhou Drug/Clover/X/other unfinished manga before making new series" because usually those series have been discontinued because of problems with the publishers. If they didn't make new manga, they wouldn't get paid. Let them earn their living.

Tsubasa and XXHOLiC are getting closer to their ending, and we'll see in which direction Kobato. will go. Hopefully progress will happen concerning the discontinued series, too.
potassium

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
I've never quite seen so many problems with publishers before from one circle. What's up with that? (curious)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2