• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aim for the Top! Gunbuster BD Box to Add New Footage

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Uncut version of episode 6? Does this mean my copy of Bandai Visuals US release is edited?
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
This is how BV should have released Gunbuster in the first place...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
It would seem so at first glance based on them highlighting the 'uncut version'. Wonder if the U.S. Renditions VHS edition was edited also. Hope not.

Wonder if Bandai will give us this new version.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Now that is some very interesting news. Too bad that we probably won't be available to buy this release at a reasonable non-import price, or at least not anytime soon, but it is still good to know this classic production is literally getting the best possible treatment.

Nevertheless, I don't think that any specific U.S. release is their point of reference here. There is absolutely no reason to think that Bandai Visual or the Japanese audience would even remotely care about what was or wasn't hypothetically cut from any particular foreign edition.

Rather, I believe this is simply a general statement about changes or edits made by the production staff to the original episode six of Gunbuster way back in the day before its initial release, which logically includes any old VHS copies in Japan or the U.S. as well as any other international releases.

At the same time, just because this specific version of the last episode is being described as "uncut" doesn't mean it will necessarily be too different, as opposed to having some material cut for time or small things like extra angles, but it is obviously impossible to say anything for sure right now.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
The 'uncut' version it's referring to is almost certainly the open matte version of episode 6 that was included on the bonus disk of the Japanese dvd release (and wasn't included with the US release).
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Finally the full-episode OVA version on BD!
Pre-ordered at full force!!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
The 'uncut' version it's referring to is almost certainly the open matte version of episode 6 that was included on the bonus disk of the Japanese dvd release (and wasn't included with the US release).

That is what it is. It's even in English (albeit in katakana) in the specs: "ノートリミングオリジナルバージョン" (No Trimming Original Version). Calling it 'uncut' in this case is a bit of a misnomer.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
What was that about how they couldn't find good materials, again? I guess Anno's really trying to compete for the "George Suck-ass of Japan" ranking. Rolling Eyes
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
It IS a misnomer. It definitely sounds like the extras from the DVD release meaning the rough cut 5 and unmatted 6. In terms of footage, 5 is actually the "uncut" one, as it features Noriko fully standing up in the bath tub (full animation that HAD to be cut, no ways about it).

I know I'm picking this sucker up when I can. Glad to hear the original audio is coming too along with the 5.1. Hopefully they won't mess with episode 1's score this time. Though i doubt they will for a Japanese release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Hopefully they won't mess with episode 1's score this time. Though i doubt they will for a Japanese release.
Yes, I wonder. I have heard that the chilling effect on parody of a greater respect for copyright has grow as a concern in Japan since Gunbuster was released. I don't know how far it goes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
So long as it's not one of those "director's cut" like King Kong or Star Wars............ Laughing

ailblentyn wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Hopefully they won't mess with episode 1's score this time. Though i doubt they will for a Japanese release.

Yes, I wonder. I have heard that the chilling effect on parody of a greater respect for copyright has grow as a concern in Japan since Gunbuster was released. I don't know how far it goes.

Though parody may not have anything to do with it, Japan's copyright laws do not have the "fair use" clause as it is known in America.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Although this article doesn't mention anything about it, but I wonder if any English subtitles will be included. BV provided them the first time around, I can't believe it would be that difficult, or expensive, to add them again. Especially if it helps result in a few more sales.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Subs are the breaking point. At $125 for the RE and $144 for the LE for preorder on Amazon, this is a very affordable release and I may consider getting this if it has subs (though I'd have to strike some stuff off my Black Friday/Christmas/New Years buy list...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Untrimmed?

So they're adding back in Noriko's pubic hair? And FINALLY, Gunbuster on BD as it should be, and not just that film. Glad it's coming with those extra shorts too, since they were never included on the DVD release here.

JohnnySake wrote:
Although this article doesn't mention anything about it, but I wonder if any English subtitles will be included. BV provided them the first time around, I can't believe it would be that difficult, or expensive, to add them again. Especially if it helps result in a few more sales.

Get to the point where you remember every line by heart and it's not an issue. Same with DYRL.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The box will include the first home-video release of the anime's 5.1-channel soundtrack (along with the original 2-channel soundtrack) with footage remastered through a new telecine transfer from the original film stock (under the supervision of Gainax).

I heard that the 2008 BluRay release was not very impressive. It looks here like they cleaned things up a bit? I wonder how much? Like they did with YYH or Utena (even though that wasn't released on BluRay)?

I too wonder if it will have subtitles and if so, if it will just be the film (more than likely) or the extras as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2