• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's, Earthsea BDs to Have English Sub/Dub in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Any idea if the repackaged Ponyo will have lossless audio for the English dub? One of the things that perplexes me is the fact that both BDs have lossless audio for the respective dubs of each country (American BD being lossless dub, with lossy Japanese, then vice versa), but neither have both of them as being lossless for whatever stupid reason. And then Disney America would later release Nausicaä on BD with lossless tracks for both the English dub and original Japanese.

I haven't seen a single Ghibli film yet, but I'm sure I'd like them and would love to be able to collect them if Disney could show a little consistency, here Confused.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Really wish Japan would do this more often on their blu-rays. This is just made of so much win. I wonder if they plan on doing the same thing for Ponyo...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Any idea if the repackaged Ponyo will have lossless audio for the English dub? One of the things that perplexes me is the fact that both BDs have lossless audio for the respective dubs of each country (American BD being lossless dub, with lossy Japanese, then vice versa), but neither have both of them as being lossless for whatever stupid reason. And then Disney America would later release Nausicaä on BD with lossless tracks for both the English dub and original Japanese.

I haven't seen a single Ghibli film yet, but I'm sure I'd like them and would love to be able to collect them if Disney could show a little consistency, here Confused.

Obviously, Disney wants people to buy 2 Blu-rays instead of 1 if they want both lossless audio ASAP (and in the process, protecting Disney Japan's and Disney USA's home turfs). Then later release 1 that has both, so people would have to buy yet a 3rd one (unless you're one of those who waited). Laughing
niclic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Wow! A member of an anime discussion site for 8 years, with almost 8K posts, and you have never watched a Studio Ghibli film. That's unbelievable. Haven't you ever been even remotely curious to watch any of their films?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Of course! For some reason, though, I just never got around to it. If I wanted to rent the DVDs, I always heard of another version coming out from Japan. When I considered importing, Blu-ray came about. And I just kept telling myself "if I'm gonna' see a Ghibili film, I may as well watch it in the highest quality possible."

Guess the least I could do is start with Nausicaä...
niclic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm sure you will get a lot of different opinions as to where to begin, but it makes sense to start from the beginning and proceed chronologically. Therefore, your choice of Nausicaa makes sense.

I'm guessing you probably don't need much advice on this matter, but I'll include my own thoughts and experiences anyway.

I own a mix of North American and Japanese DVD releases, with plenty of overlap in titles. I imported Ponyo and Arietty on DVD before they became available in North America. The complete collection of Japanese Studio Ghibli blu-ray releases is high on my wish list, although that would involve a considerable financial investment.

I have not seen any Studio Ghibli films on blu-ray, so I cannot comment on how they look on that format. I've read many positive reviews though. My own opinion is that DVD is a great format, and often good enough for most films. I'm not stupid enough to question the technical superiority of blu-ray, I just think some folks have been too quick to forget about DVD. I certainly would not wait to see a Studio Ghibli film until is becomes available on blu-ray. Unless you want to import directly from Japan at considreable expense, you may be waiting a long time, which would be a shame.

Studio Ghibli has produced several good films directed by someone other than Miyazaki, so make sure you see them also because many are excellent, such as Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart.

If buying or renting every single Studio Ghibli film is out of the question (never!), then my own immediate recommendations would be:

Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

Everybody' has their own favorites - these are just my own.

Enjoy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. From what I've heard and seen in comparison, the transfers between the U.S. and Japanese DVDs aren't all that different for Ghibili films. As much as they like to milk something, Disney at least goes for some semblance of quality. I know the names of most of the popular Miyazaki and non-Miyazaki titles from the studio. Though I have to be honest, my Netflix queue only has about 3 slots left. But I'll be sure to fill it with Ghibli films when I clear some of it out the next few weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1