• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tales of Phantasia DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Why is this labeled "DVD 1"? This should be the whole thing.

Anyhow, being a fan of the game (which I need to finish someday) I'm interested in this little series, but it sounds like I should save this for a good deal. It's not like I don't have plenty of unwatched DVDs and unbeaten (or even played) games to deal with in the meantime.

Quote:
A character named Mint?

I'm not seeing the problem there. It's not terribly common, but this isn't the first anime to use it (though the game may have been the first game to do so). Galaxy Angel comes to mind, though thats a show that never takes itself seriously anyway, and I think its probably been used in another anime somewhere. But I don't think its that odd.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I had played the game a long time ago so the chracters were already familiar and I knew most of what was left out already allowing me to enjoy this OVA more than the casual viewer, some fans griped about not showing the whole story though. I would have liked a TV series to show everything but I think the OVA was still very fun and nostalgic for me.

It was very nice how they updated the character designs, the game's designs were done by the Ah My Goddess author and these new ones look the same way as the author's new works.

The best part about this OVA was the music and the opening was incredibly beautiful as stated (the reviewer couldn't have described the opening theme any better), I would've liked to hear the original opening song from the game somewhere though.

I agree with the grade, viewers who have no previous knowledge on the game will see this as rushed yet fun and fans of the game won't like how much is left out but in the end I believe all viewers will still be entertained and atleast it's better than the Chrono Trigger OVA.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I had played the game a long time ago so the chracters were already familiar and I knew most of what was left out already allowing me to enjoy this OVA more than the casual viewer, some fans griped about not showing the whole story though. I would have liked a TV series to show everything but I think the OVA was still very fun and nostalgic for me.

The animated stories based off of the Symphonia/Phantasia games should get a series rather than an OVA. They don't have to elaborate on the entire story, but there is so much that happens in both games that would make excellent series material. Maybe they were afraid of another Tales of Eternia turn-out?

By the way, Suzu was playable in the GBA version of the game, but she always called out the wrong attack names. The GBA version had so many screw-ups...
10円

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I had played the game a long time ago so the chracters were already familiar and I knew most of what was left out already allowing me to enjoy this OVA more than the casual viewer, some fans griped about not showing the whole story though.

I suppose you're talking about the Super Famicom game of the same name that was never officially released stateside on the SNES but eventually received some form of digital fansub treatment as an emulated ROM cart? I'm more curious to hear how the game fared than the anime.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
chrisb wrote:
I had played the game a long time ago so the chracters were already familiar and I knew most of what was left out already allowing me to enjoy this OVA more than the casual viewer, some fans griped about not showing the whole story though.

I suppose you're talking about the Super Famicom game of the same name that was never officially released stateside on the SNES but eventually received some form of digital fansub treatment as an emulated ROM cart? I'm more curious to hear how the game fared than the anime.

Yes I played that translated ROM a while back, the game is pretty good but the random battles and your character's slow movements got annoying after a while. Graphics and music were very nice though. I play most RPGs for stories anyway so it wasn't that bad a deal, there's a code on the ROM that allows you to not have any random battles and kill all bosses in one hit if you just want to check the story out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1