• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Super GALS Season 2 DVD Box Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
i'm going to have to get this one day but it just makes me sad there was no dub. The dub made the show for my friends and I.
ADV did an awesome job with the first season...

I hope I can get over dub loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
Having a strong supporting cast is fine, but you know something is wrong when you find yourself enduring each episode in hopes of catching a glimpse of your favorite secondary character or when the prospect (raised in one of the next-episode previews) of Super Gals: Mami-mami Mami-rin is more exciting than the prospect of yet another episode of Super Gals: Kotobuki Ran.

Okay, so the second season is exactly like the first then? That's all I really needed to know. Towards the end of the first season, I actually started to like the show because it was finally focusing a little on the side characters. However, if it's going to just go back to the same old formula once again, I'm much less inclined to bother purchasing this until I've had the chance to rent it. I'm still trying to push myself to buy the first season...but only liking maybe six out of twenty-six episodes makes it a little tough to swallow.

Also, I'm glad to know someone else sees Ran as such a dislikeable and flat character. Even in a few rare episodes when she hasn't been seen in the past 15 minutes, she'll suddenly show up, make some sort of moral speech, and defeat the bad guy--including when the person is facing a very fighting-capable Miyu. It's frustrating as can be, and really kept me from enjoying this series as much as I could have. And here I thought Sailor Moon was a overdone moralist character...
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, I have to comment here as SuperGALS is one of my favorite series.
It isn't because of Ran though, so I understand that comment, she is very one dimensional until the end and even then, it is not the main appeal. I am glad I am not the only one to find Sayo so cute...the
"Detective Kotobuki, don't die here!".
..."go on with out me"
"No! detective Kotobuki!"
one of those re-occuring jokes that I found funnier every time I saw it.
Those scenes never failed to make me smile and their detective song is catchy. I loved the Odaiba shark character and Sayo's love of him. I liked the stories about Tatsukichi and his brother, who was also massively adorable.
Mami-rin made so much of this so good for me.
I loved this story, I was sad there was no dub as I think the dub was wonderful. Probably my favorite role for Greg Ayers as Yuya, and all the girls did a great job.
I agree Aya was too depressing sometimes, although I think I may have cried for her once...
but mostly I wanted to slap her.
I still loved this show, but I agree it isn't everyone's thing.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I am glad I am not the only one to find Sayo so cute...the
"Detective Kotobuki, don't die here!".
..."go on with out me"
"No! detective Kotobuki!"
one of those re-occuring jokes that I found funnier every time I saw it.

It took me most of the first season to tolerate the Junior Detectives, although I did finally find them cute (and the 'death' scenes fairly funny). I think I just didn't like the way they introduced Sayo. It felt like after just a hanful of episodes they thought, "shoot, we're out of ideas!" "Let's add a little sister!"

Quote:
Mami-rin made so much of this so good for me.

I actually hated the series until the Mami-rin episode in season, which I think was #20. She's such a fantasically funny character, and the true redemption of the show for me. I like Miyu very well, but Ran keeps ruining her episodes, and Yuya's sweet too.

Quote:
I loved this story, I was sad there was no dub as I think the dub was wonderful. Probably my favorite role for Greg Ayers as Yuya, and all the girls did a great job.

I wanted to test out the dub, but I couldn't handle how the word Shibuya was being pronounced in the little Gal culture segments in the extras. It was like they were whispering "she" and then going "BOOYAH!" that obnoxious call from the 90s. I'm just too picky. I get angry at tennis announcers when they butcher Asagoe Shinobu's last name too though, so it's not just an anime elitism thing but just a general issue I have. (I get annoyed with mispronounced names in other languages as well--I'm not a Japanophile).
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
i have and seen the entire series.

a C really i was expecting that or at leat a b-

anyway my thoughts on the show was pretty positive. it did have bad parts like how a lot of it focused on aya's problems. i was tired of it. a few eps is okay like in the first season but it was too many in the second.

also yeah the lack of miyu eps and character building and miyu storylines was bad.

but after reading at the anti ran talk i cant agree. Ran does have faults as in bad grades and a no care attitude the majority of the time but she is still cool and caring and a role model. i really like that stuff. i alwasy wanted to be like that (except the grades i get decent grades!)

plus the switching ep sucked since it was over done already on american tv.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
My first thought: harsh review. Then I put my subjective, fanboy side to rest.

Looking back at what I've seen from the first season, I can understand the ratings. Yes, Ran never learns from her experiences, and fails to grow as a character. Aya spends way too much time dwelling upon her own inadequacies, rather than focusing on her positive aspects. And Miyu... there could be some interesting stories about her, if she could only get the screen time necessary.

Yet, I get the feeling that I'll find the second season no worse than the first: good, but not great.
Himalayus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Yet, I get the feeling that I'll find the second season no worse than the first: good, but not great.

This goes for just about everyone. Excepting a slighly greater focus on the supporting cast (Yuya and Mami in particular) and an overload of Ayu-angst, this season is very similar to the first, so your impressions of the first season, good or bad, will serve well as a predictor of how you'll like the second.

Also: Given how positively it seems that many people view this series, I expected the response to my review to be a lot more negative. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my opinions. And thank you everyone else for not ripping me a new one.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Himalayus wrote:
And thank you everyone else for not ripping me a new one.

We're just waiting for you to let your guard down....

Seriously though, I've been waiting for season two for one reason... it's one of the few series my wife enjoys, so we can watch anime together (she "tolerates" a few titles, but I've got to watch most when she's out). Because of this, I'm VERY dissapointed that there's no dub. I prefer my Anime subtitled, but it's going to make it a MUCH harder sell to the wife to watch it now Crying or Very sad
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of the first season. I'm certainly not one to complain about a show being really girly or cute; indeed, Kaleido star and Galaxy angel are favorites of mine, as well as Azumanga Daioh, though that's not very girly. And it's not even that this was the single girliest anime I've ever seen so much as it was just extremely shallow and airheaded. It was like a f'n Bratz commercial gone anime. Now again, this was just after one episode. If there's more to it then that feel free to correct me.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with many here that Mami is one of my favorite characters, definitely one of the more interesting ones in the series.

However, there lies the problem, and the only reason that I wish there was a dub. The japanese voice actors were all good...but I absolutely could not stand Mami's screechy Japanese voice. It made watching Super Gals in Japanese completely untolerable, at least when she was in a scene.

I'm hoping that I'm mentally exaggerating this dislike I have, as I haven't watched Super Gals in a long time, let alone in Japanese. I'll probably end up buying this box set anyway, given how much I loved the first season, and how cheap it is...But I'll be dissapointed if all of Mami's scenes are ruined for me by an annoying voice. Hopefully, I'll get used to it.[/i]
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Saiyo-chan wrote:
I have to agree with many here that Mami is one of my favorite characters, definitely one of the more interesting ones in the series.

However, there lies the problem, and the only reason that I wish there was a dub. The japanese voice actors were all good...but I absolutely could not stand Mami's screechy Japanese voice. It made watching Super Gals in Japanese completely untolerable, at least when she was in a scene.

I think part of what I loved about Mami was the atrocity that was her Japanese voice--particularly when she switched between that and the smooth-as-honey voice she used when she wasn't being a Gal.

DragonsRevenge wrote:
I saw the first episode of the first season. I'm certainly not one to complain about a show being really girly or cute; indeed, Kaleido star and Galaxy angel are favorites of mine, as well as Azumanga Daioh, though that's not very girly. And it's not even that this was the single girliest anime I've ever seen so much as it was just extremely shallow and airheaded. It was like a f'n Bratz commercial gone anime. Now again, this was just after one episode. If there's more to it then that feel free to correct me.

Aside from a couple of pretty poignant episode, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with that. There are a few episodes with depth (at least towards the end of the first season, I haven't seen the second season yet), but mostly it's fluff. I like girly, but this wasn't so much girly as Mary Sue-like. Perfect characters annoy the heck out of me--particularly if their 'imperfections' are eating too much (and staying skinny) and getting bad grades. It's just been done a few too many times (and much better) for me to tolerate Ran.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1