• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So the first episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (a show by Gainax) is finally out! Here's my thoughts on the first episode.

As always Spoilers through the first episode so beware if ya haven't seen it yet.

So the opening sequence had some very nice animation but then again I should expect that from Gainax, but one thing I really enjoyed was that opening tune. It's always such a nice to start off with a nice piece of music it really makes watching an episode so much more enjoyable when you can actually watch the opening instead of skipping ahead.

So most of this episode is a set up seeing as how were really just meeting the main characters and just getting a very basic brief of what the world they live in is like. It's obviously got some potential, it's has comedy that's felt well placed and the animation looked that really great. I also like the Seiyu for the Simon although it bugs me a little bit how everyone calls him Se-mon rather then how I think it should be Simon, maybe that's my Castlevania fanboy coming out but I guess I can't help it. Well hopefully next week we'll have a better understand of what this show is like above the surface.....Smile. As for the ending song it's has a rather enjoyable beat that for some reason it's been in my head since I watched that episode.....hopefully Gainax has something here, something that's a little deeper then what's been coming out lately.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. I didn't know what to expect from it but it wasn't anything how I would have imagined. The animation and music were both good and I really like the characters so far. They seem like a group that will be fun (and funny) to watch. Not much of the plot has been revealed yet so I'm curious as to where this show will go in the future.

Deltakiral wrote:
It's obviously got some potential, it's has comedy that's felt well placed and the animation looked that really great.

I wasn't expecting it to be so funny. I laughed so hard when they were all smushed in together ("can't take anymore, so tight").
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
I wasn't expecting it to be so funny. I laughed so hard when they were all smushed in together ("can't take anymore, so tight").

Yeah that part where they were being smashed together and there was line about stop talking so dirty at a moment like this, that was really well placed and timed. I mean comedy (to me at least) is somewhat difficult for anime and I though this episode just had the right timing, as you noted who know how this story will turn out since we have no idea where it will go from here.
godakame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
A very fun first episode; I liked it more than I thought I would have. My favorite quote from episode 1: " Don't believe in yourself, believe in me...believe in me, who believes in you". I dunno, I just thought that part was really funny.

I'd also like to point out that the gaudy person in the beginning of the episode appears to be the spoiler[ future version of Simon. So I suppose we will be seeing a time lapse in future episodes. ] I hope the high production values will be maintained throughout its run. It's kinda hard to believe that they will have this same kind of quality for 26 whatever episodes.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
godakame wrote:
I'd also like to point out that the gaudy person in the beginning of the episode appears to be the spoiler[ future version of Simon. So I suppose we will be seeing a time lapse in future episodes. ]

I completely forgot about that. spoiler[ I think a time skip of some kind would be interesting. It makes me even more curious as to what direction this show will take. I personally think the future Simon looks pretty cool. It seems like we'll see his character grow a lot through the series considering how quiet he is compared to his flashy future self. ]

edited twice! (I hate re-reading threads and seeing stupid things I wrote Anime cry)

Last edited by digitalkikka on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I've seen naught but the opening, but I have to say that that mech design is completely nostalgic for me. If I recall correctly, the red mech with the thing on its face(horn?) looks exactly like one of the original Power Rangers giant robots that I used to have a big model of. I don't know, it just kind of struck me when I started watching the OP.

EDIT: Upon actually watching the show, it's (the mech) not quite what I thought it was going to look like, but still rather nostalgic in bigger silhouette form. Sort of. spoiler[First show I've seen that does that much with just the *ahem* head. The wisecracks and the preview begs for more jokes, but I'll stop there for posterity's sake.]
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
The mecha in this series are going to be the major selling point, probably even more so than the characters. Don't get me wrong, the characters are great, but this is ride armor we're talking about! How often do you get to see an anime about two ride armor that combine into one giant, well proportioned bot? I'm eyeing the figures already! Can't wait for the next episode!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
I had no expectations for this series, since I haven't enjoyed a GAINAX anime since FLCL, but it turned out that this series' first episode was as awesome as the title of the show. That is, very. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more Very Happy

I love the energetic animation style. I really hope they have the budget to keep it up for an entire season. If they do, TTG-L might become a favourite of mine.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I just watched it and I thought it was freaking amazing. I love GAINAX even more now. At first I thought it would be all about the underground and I didn't want that, but I realized that the girl in the opening wasn't there so it instantly hit me that she would be from "The Surface" so I had a great time from there on. Kazimi or whatever his name is is freaking cool, when the monster crashed from above, he didn't run or panic he just put on his glasses and rubbed it in the mayor's face that he was right, kicked up the sword, it spun around him a whole bunch of times and was ready to beat the crap out of that thing, I love him.

That drill bot reminded me of Dead Leaves, like to penatrate things with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
zoramon089

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
I had no expectations for this series, since I haven't enjoyed a GAINAX anime since FLCL, but it turned out that this series' first episode was as awesome as the title of the show. That is, very. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more Very Happy

I love the energetic animation style. I really hope they have the budget to keep it up for an entire season. If they do, TTG-L might become a favourite of mine.

Have you seen Gunbuster 2 (Diebuster)? It's the sequel to Gunbuster and it's pretty good. It's an OVA like FLCL so it's only 6 eps but it has excellent animation and the characters are pretty cool. The mechs are also top notch in design and powers
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
That had to be the most wonderfully kinetic thing I've seen in a while. Gainax has always been my favorite studio, but its things like this that really show off their talents. I love the three main characters, they seem like a really fun bunch so far. And everything was so extreme and testoterone-laden that if it had been done by anyone else, it would've failed spectacularly. Definetly worth the wait, I'll be looking forward to more. Very Happy
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
After creating a thread when I didn't notice this one (my bad, lol) I just wanted to add to the praises: This is definitely shaping up to be one of the my favorite mecha series. I loved the fight between Viral and Kamina outside of the mecha in episode 3. If they can keep a good mix of fighting in and out of the mecha and continue introducing characters like the main 3 that we're getting to know and love already, this will definitely be an epic series.

One that I'll definitely buy once it comes out here.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first episode so far, and I also agree on the brilliant animation. The scene where they burst through the surface and were rotating and viewing both the sun and the moon...beautiful.

A note on the characters. Considering this is Gainax, I doubt the show will continue to be as 'fun' as the first episode. I predict a pretty dark turn later on down the line. And with such a cool character as Kamina...I'm pretty sure he'll die a la gai daigoji Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
With Simon GARlock in the first episode, I figured this would turn out to be a legendary show. I'm pretty darn happy I watched it, so much that I'm willing to forgive Gainax for their defecation that was FLCL.

Too much fanservice, though. x__x

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
It's what Gainax does best, and this show is no different. Hell, it's the better of both worlds; guys can look up to the "classic" hot-blooded male, Kamina, be awe inspired with crazy-looking mechs, and gauk at Yoko. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19