• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin to Be 2-Part Shin Kyoto Video Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who says "maybe this leads to Jinchuu" I would ask the very simple question: "How?!?"

If the theory is that it's been too long since TV series Kenshin and people have forgot, then this is the WORST thing to do. Misao has NO role of import in the Revenge arc, as opposed to: Kenshin, Kaoru and MAYBE Yahiko. Now, while I accept that both Misao and Yahiko were with Misao during the Kyoto arc, their connection to Kenshin (which is the whole POINT of the people in the Revenge arc) is non-existent and practically irrelevant. Basically, the ONLY way the Revenge arc makes sense and has impact is if you start at the beginning and follow to the end. I could understand if they don't want to start at Jinchuu because of this fact, as a "market test" it'd ... almost make sense if it was Kenshin's PoV (since he's the main character and the crazy fights are easier to sell). But this makes no sense.

Since I can't decipher it, I lay blame on all the OVA loving people and expect a giant bucket of emo-fail concentrating on Misao's longing for Aoshi. (-_-)
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Anyone who says "maybe this leads to Jinchuu" I would ask the very simple question: "How?!?"

If the theory is that it's been too long since TV series Kenshin and people have forgot, then this is the WORST thing to do. Misao has NO role of import in the Revenge arc, as opposed to: Kenshin, Kaoru and MAYBE Yahiko. Now, while I accept that both Misao and Yahiko were with Misao during the Kyoto arc, their connection to Kenshin (which is the whole POINT of the people in the Revenge arc) is non-existent and practically irrelevant. Basically, the ONLY way the Revenge arc makes sense and has impact is if you start at the beginning and follow to the end. I could understand if they don't want to start at Jinchuu because of this fact, as a "market test" it'd ... almost make sense if it was Kenshin's PoV (since he's the main character and the crazy fights are easier to sell). But this makes no sense.

Since I can't decipher it, I lay blame on all the OVA loving people and expect a giant bucket of emo-fail concentrating on Misao's longing for Aoshi. (-_-)

You're missing the point. the theory is that they're reanimating the most successful arc of the original anime to judge current success. If it does well, they'll know they can make bank off of it, and if they can make a lot of money, they'll want to suck it dry. What's left to do in RK? Jinchuu, that's where they'll turn, we're hoping. Who knows, maybe they already have the idea and are just trying to interest new fans, as well as give a little recap for older fans(the number one theory we're all counting on).

Regardless of if Jinchuu happens, this is still an OVA that's essentially telling the same story we already know. So, from a marketing standpoint, how do they make an OVA that can draw in new fans, but still offers something new to the returning fans? A new POV. Misao is essentially the only character present throughout the whole kyoto arc that offers a different view. Sano is out cause it'd be too close to the original, Saitou could have been interesting, but unfortunately, he isn't popular enough to draw a crowd. Is Misao? Probably not, but she's present up until Mt. Hiei.

Let's all stop griping for a second. Sure, Misao is inlove with Aoshi, but she was looking for Beshimi, Hannya, Shikijou, and Hyottoko as well, not JUST Aoshi-sama. I don't believe this would ever become like some teen drama you seem to be fearing(they aren't THAT daft) And I don't think they're going to stick to her POV terribly, because there's already promo art with Kenshin and Shishio, so I don't think we'll loose the big fights. Plus, we get the showdown at the Aoiya and that means more Hiko, which is always a plus.

Back to Jinchuu, they couldn't really just jump into it, cause the series is a few generations out. they have to ease into it, which, again, is where the "leading to Jinchuu" theory comes from, we're hoping these new OVAs are just a transition, a little ruroken ice breaker;)

and what do OVA fans have to do with it? I'm no fan, but Misao wasn't even in the OVAs...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Miyuu~ki wrote:
You're missing the point. the theory is that they're reanimating the most successful arc of the original anime to judge current success.

So why not center it on KENSHIN (who is the main character AND gets all the interesting bits, Misao is only central BEFORE Kenshin does anything (aside from the first fight with Soujirou which lacks the depth of the later fight), Misao's parts of Kyoto are some of the LESS interesting parts of that story)
Quote:
Who knows, maybe they already have the idea and are just trying to interest new fans, as well as give a little recap for older fans(the number one theory we're all counting on).

Again, what recap can you do from Misao's PoV that is beneficial for a Revenge arc story?
Quote:
how do they make an OVA that can draw in new fans, but still offers something new to the returning fans? A new POV. Misao is essentially the only character present throughout the whole kyoto arc that offers a different view.

Kaoru is present for almost everything Misao is there for once the people are gathered in Kyoto (ie. she's not there for the time when Kenshin is "on the road", but if you're going to make 2 movies/OVAs about the Kyoto arc, would you really choose to make that part a big deal?). Plus (and this is key) Kaoru is IMPORTANT for the Revenge Arc whereas Misao is not, so if you want to prep for that arc it'd make sense to get viewers to connect to the character that's actually relevant.
Quote:
I don't believe this would ever become like some teen drama you seem to be fearing(they aren't THAT daft)
and what do OVA fans have to do with it? I'm no fan, but Misao wasn't even in the OVAs...

OVA fans LOOOOOOOOOVE the "tragic love story" of the OVAs often to the point of disliking the TV series because it not as (OMG) emo or "dark" or full of teen wangst. Between that and the drooling over Tomoe, I could totally see ramping up that aspect if it's centered on Misao.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Miyuu~ki wrote:

OVA fans LOOOOOOOOOVE the "tragic love story" of the OVAs often to the point of disliking the TV series because it not as (OMG) emo or "dark" or full of teen wangst. Between that and the drooling over Tomoe, I could totally see ramping up that aspect if it's centered on Misao.

Now this is where i call nonsense because nobody "loved" that piece of trash known as Seiso-hen (or Reflection for the dub fans that exist if there are any).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Now this is where i call nonsense because nobody "loved" that piece of trash known as Seiso-hen (or Reflection for the dub fans that exist if there are any).

Sure, most people PREFER "Trust & Betrayal", but there are numerous people that simply say "Samurai X was awesomesauce!!111!!LOL" (they don't distinguish). And if you note the TV series they'll say that was weak, it was too goofy or cartoonish or not supah cool darkly brooding like vampires yo! (ok, maybe they don't mention vampires, but they're totally THINKING it)
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Sure, most people PREFER "Trust & Betrayal", but there are numerous people that simply say "Samurai X was awesomesauce!!111!!LOL" (they don't distinguish). And if you note the TV series they'll say that was weak, it was too goofy or cartoonish or not supah cool darkly brooding like vampires yo! (ok, maybe they don't mention vampires, but they're totally THINKING it)

Trust and Betrayal are the ovas, as well as Samurai X, they are the same. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is the first four ovas.

You still don't get it. The content is not what will lead to Jinchuu, it's the fans support, ie, the success of the movies that will get us more RK. Recapping in general is being used as a transition, like "hey! this series is 15 years old, for those of you who don't remember what happened, here! cause from here on out, we're moving on to new content:D" Misao's POV is not the part that's leading to Jinchuu, no one is arguing that, it's the project as a whole. Comprende, hombre?

Kenshin's POV? Yeah, like, that whole first anime we have? It becomes an abridging, and no fan wants that.

The Tokai road is a huge part of the plot, what are you talking about? It was half the freaking arc.

It seems to me you just want a cut down abridging movie that brings nothing new to the table. That will TOTALLY be successful.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Miyuu~ki wrote:
Trust and Betrayal are the ovas, as well as Samurai X, they are the same. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is the first four ovas.

I'm going to stop talking about my annoyance with the OVAs and their fandom now to prevent total derail. I'll just finish by saying I'm totally aware of what the OVAs are.
Quote:
You still don't get it. The content is not what will lead to Jinchuu, it's the fans support, ie, the success of the movies that will get us more RK. Recapping in general is being used as a transition, like "hey! this series is 15 years old, for those of you who don't remember what happened, here! cause from here on out, we're moving on to new content:D" Misao's POV is not the part that's leading to Jinchuu, no one is arguing that, it's the project as a whole. Comprende, hombre?

Let me make this simple. I can think of two anime off the top of my head that had/have more content after a "bridge" which came after a hiatus. (I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them, if you have one or more feel free to add your examples)
1) Ah My Goddess, had OVAs, long break with fans clamoring for more, had a movie (totally original content never seen before) and then a TV series, which was a reboot. admittedly not a perfect match since this manga is still running

2) Code Geass, had TV series, then a break (shorter) then two OVAs that recapped the previous seasons (from the main characters PoV) and now an announced new series. Two things of note (1) the OVAs recapped the WHOLE series and (2) the newly announced series (supposedly) features totally different characters in a different place. Again, not a perfect fit due to shorter delay between and also the difference in content for the new series.

So, one tried to lure viewers (successfully) with new content and the other did FULL recap. My point is, UNLESS any follow-up series would be a FULL reboot (ie. start at the beginning and run all the way through) which means a THIRD redo of Kyoto would be needed, I simply don't see how this works as a "bridge".

The key piece of the Revenge arc is spoiler[when "Kaoru" gets stabbed in the chest, since it represents the death of a second woman Kenshin loves right in front of him] if you do the Revenge arc story picking up right after Kyoto if the OVA sells well you're basically making a TV series that only the hardcore fans that've been waiting for that arc are gonna "get". And if that's the case, why BOTHER with a "bridge" at all.

MY point is, if you feel you MUST do Kyoto (since it's the most popular) and you CAN'T center it on Kenshin (since, it'd be TV series recap (already been done by NUMEROUS other anime btw)), then at LEAST do:
Kaoru's PoV spoiler[so that you can get the solid impact of her role in Jinchuu]
OR
Yahiko's PoV spoiler[because Jinchuu's "side story" is Yahiko becoming someone Kenshin can count on and him growing into a man, leading to his feature role in the epilogue chapter]
seeing as BOTH of them are around Misao IN Kyoto and you could potentially even generate NEW, ORIGINAL material relating to THEIR trip to Kyoto or their time before leaving but after Kenshin left. Heck, you could even have Megumi or someone in town getting updates from Saito on what Kenshin is doing (to "recap" what we already know Kenshin did).

But if you see something different, aside from simply "it gauges sales" (again, then why focus on Misao who AFAIK is not particularly popular with Kenshin fans (not UNpopular, but not a fan favorite)) please tell me how you think this leads to a compelling Revenge arc anime.
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm done. You clearly don't understand what I'm trying say, you're argumentative rather than actually discussing and contributing, AND on top of that you're condescending when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

"Sure, most people PREFER "Trust & Betrayal", but there are numerous people that simply say "Samurai X was awesomesauce!!111!!LOL" (they don't distinguish)"

Doesn't really seem like you're as aware as you claim. They don't distinguish? Distinguish what? Trust&Betrayal and Samurai X are the SAME TITLE. Thats like saying "Rurouni Kenshin" and "Romantic Tales of the Meiji" are separate series.

Also, it's not called a "bridge", it's an abridged version. Know what you are talking about before you post.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you're trolling or not, but Samurai X was used by ADV for both Trust and Betrayal as well as Reflections.

I think the point the guy was getting at is that Reflections is terrible (which it is) and yet people still say "Samurai X was awesomesauce!".

Anyway, Heero said pretty much everything I would say. If this was intentioned to be a "bridge" and they didn't want to use Kenshin's POV, then the only logical choice for a different POV would be either Kaoru or Yahiko.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not sure if you're trolling or not, but Samurai X was used by ADV for both Trust and Betrayal as well as Reflections.

I was saying as Megiddo says above, had you READ my earlier posts (and taken them in context of the QUOTED part that admittedly was posted by someone else) then I would have thought that was clear, but I'm sorry if I needed to add another title to the lengthy explanation to make that distinction clear.

Thanks Megiddo.

And when I say "bridge" I mean a connection between the previous releases and the future releases. (The AMG movie is a BRIDGE between the OVAs (which were released in the early 90s) and the TV series (which was released in the 2000s). I don't know that I'd call the new Kenshin bit an "abridged" version since we don't know how much it will cover. It could simply be a retelling of the same material in its entirety.
KMC2 (<3RK)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Well let's see, if this bombs then that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for any hope of animating Jinchu right? And it's going to be told from Misao's POV? She wasn't there for the final Shishio battle. And that might leave a lot of fans scratching their heads. I just hope a miracle comes and this leads into Jinchu. But that is a silly dream if this fails.

And if it doesnt , how long until the fans' cries are heard and we see Mr. White-glasses and his revenge how it was MEANT to be seen, not the depressing Reflections OVA bull crap we dislike. I mean the animators couldn't even spike his hair correctly.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
yah know?

maybe the current producers of this Shin Kyoto really just want to animate their kunoichi-fetish via Misao.

Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5