• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hitohira (yuri fans take note)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hitohira

The basic premise is that Asai Mugi is just starting her freshman year of highschool and she has a problem. Whenever she's nervous, she becomes effectively mute and can say little to nothing. And she gets nervous a lot. She hates being the center of attention and appears to suffer from agoraphobia. And then she gets dragged into the drama club at the end of the first episode.

I thought the premise sounded interesting when I read it a few months ago and I liked the character designs I saw on the website (Mugi and Nono). I thought I was getting some yuri vibes, but I thought that may have just been me wishing for it. Well, there episode itself had some pretty heavy yuri subtext. And it wasn't ambiguous at all. When Mugi is knocked down, Nono (a member of the drama club) helps her up and Mugi can't help but notice how beautiful she is and blushes accordingly. And the last scene when Nono makes Mugi sign up is positivly dripping in yuri subtext.

There are already at least five other shows I'm going to be watching this season, but I'm going to have to add this one to the list.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
This one sounds like a lot of fun. Yuri is a major plus for me, given my mild obsession with it lately, but the premise of a girl suffering from such an intense reaction to being the center of attention is something I can relate to. Any series with a quiet, shy character as the lead is right up my alley.

The Yuri, subtextual or obvious, is just icing on the joy cake that is a good anime.

Also, I just checked the encyclopedia entry and wow! Those girls are cute. And Asai has one of those hair clip things. (What are those called anyway?) I love the way those things accent the character's faces.

Thanks for the heads up HitokiriShadow! I'll tune in. (Geez, whatever happened to the innocent Richard J. who refused to watch fansubs? Have I been corrupted? Irreversibly contaminated? Brainwashed? Wink )
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
OMG, episode 2! Shocked

Ok, nothing earth-shattering happened, but we did get the fact that there are two drama-related clubs in the school, and each of them has to get a lot of audience to see their respective plays or else the losing club will be closed down. And that's an interesting thing that blonde girl did to Mugi to get her to speak up more. Have any of you peeps who were in plays did something like that?

And is it just me or the animation studio Xebec M2 seems to be a more "elite" version of Xebec because the animation for this series is far slicker than Xebec itself?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks for making this topic, HitokiriShadow! I'll surely be checking this one out. As a matter of fact, I'm downloading the first episode right now! Wink I like the premise of this series and like Richard J. said, anything that has yuri implications is always a treat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Sadly, only the first episode has been subbed. Sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Sadly, only the first episode has been subbed. Sad

I believe the second subbed episode just came out today. I downloaded it earlier this morning. I noticed it not long after I downloaded the first. Give it some time. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my, er, source, wasn't loading for a while so I hadn't seen it. It's about damn time they got around to it. I think seven weeks is plenty of time, btw.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, second episode is out. (Downloading now.) The group that's subbing it actually lets you know what stage they're in on their website, so you could hunt it up and check for episode status in the future. They're slow but not too shabby.

Even if the Yuri subtext turns out to be nothing, I rather like the feel of this show.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yeah, my, er, source, wasn't loading for a while so I hadn't seen it. It's about damn time they got around to it. I think seven weeks is plenty of time, btw.

Oh, lol. I didn't even notice that this topic was started back in April. Embarassed
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 3 to 5 are out (though I only watched 3 and 4 so far)! Very Happy

Episode 3 was amusing when Mugi finally gets her chance to be on stage. Episode 4 was VERY hilarious! spoiler[You DO NOT make Nono angry or else you'll regret it! ] I approve the awesome subtext when Nono got close to Mugi's face and caressed her cheek to see if she's sick! Embarassed

Interestingly enough, spoiler[Nono seems to have a really bad throat condition.]
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first two, and I'm glad to see the group is still subbing it. Yuri FTW!
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yuri, huh? OK. I'll check this one out. Laughing Twisted Evil
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 has come out.

The show was decent, but for the most part the yuri undertones were spoiler[just, well, undertones.] I'm not sure it would be worth watching again, but it was worth the first time through.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting enough, I'll check it out later though I'm not big on yuri.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It was a nice show. Not one of my favorites, but I'll buy it if it gets licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2