• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the manga version always better than the anime version?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Sometimes when I look up a certain anime title, and I would see comments about it, a handful of people would always say "The manga version was better, yada yada yada"

This has been the case for Flame of Recca, Groove Adventure Rave and Fushigi Yuugi. I've always wondered if these were true, because I never had the luxury of being able to read genuine manga. I don't see manga sold in the Philippines often, and when I do, they're usually expensive.

I have read a few titles, like Genshiken. I can't say if I thought the manga version was better because in all honesty I thought the anime was as good as the manga.

So if the manga is always better than the anime, why do you think it is so? Is it because the illustrations are of better quality, etc?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Its usually the case, except for a few shows like Mushishi, that are just astounding because of the quality of the animation, and the music. But in general, I'd say that manga is usually better because you have more time to flesh out plots and characters. The exception to this rule is when the manga is made after the anime. I don't think I've seen any manga made after an anime that I've liked.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
Its usually the case, except for a few shows like Mushishi, that are just astounding because of the quality of the animation, and the music. But in general, I'd say that manga is usually better because you have more time to flesh out plots and characters. The exception to this rule is when the manga is made after the anime. I don't think I've seen any manga made after an anime that I've liked.

I guess it's a matter of what you see first, huh? People are most likely to stick to the original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to me it's all about the source material. Whichever came first is the one I tend to read or watch first, and it's usually better. There are some exceptions where the anime is equally as good as the manga, like Fruits Basket. There are also some far worse, and a few that are better, or provide a different experience. Like with BECK the anime, I can't decide which I like better, because the anime has all the awesome music that really brings to life the world created in the manga in a way that the manga just can't. But the manga is also awesome because of it's quirkiness that isn't quite as defined in the anime.

It all depends, but usually I stick with the source.
smoochy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Yeah, to me it's all about the source material. Whichever came first is the one I tend to read or watch first, and it's usually better. There are some exceptions where the anime is equally as good as the manga, like Fruits Basket. There are also some far worse, and a few that are better, or provide a different experience. Like with BECK the anime, I can't decide which I like better, because the anime has all the awesome music that really brings to life the world created in the manga in a way that the manga just can't. But the manga is also awesome because of it's quirkiness that isn't quite as defined in the anime.

It all depends, but usually I stick with the source.

And with Beck and Fruits Basket, theres just more story in the manga.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
And with Beck and Fruits Basket, theres just more story in the manga.

Very true, but the anime for both is almost scene for scene from the manga. Although it doesn't extend as far as the mangas do, they are both great anime series.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Then the content matters to. Just like what you guys said - you liked the anime version of BECK better because of the music. Since it is about music, you would really want to hear the music the characters in the manga have been talking about.

I guess the illustrations would be better in the manga version, and usually they're made ahead so there's a wider storyline, but don't you like seeing the characters in motion? That's how I see it. For me, I would most likely appreciate the anime version better because the characters are brought to life (well, sort of).

Last edited by jetz on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes and no. I think that the manga and anime versions are made in their own unique sense, you can't really apply it to all of the series out there. I have my preferences of series of where the anime is better, and the manga is better, but some of these I haven't seen the counterpart to say which is better. I definetly choose the manga versions of Fruits Basket and Hellsing over the anime series, but Hellsing is based on the fact that I haven't seen the OVAs.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
In some cases, the anime will take the content in the manga and expand on its even more. One title I can think of that did this successfully is Hunter x Hunter. Revolutionary Girl Utena also took the manga and did some crazy, but awesome things with it.

Other than that, I usually prefer the manga for reasons already stated.
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
FLCL comes to mind.. I haven't watched the anime but from all of the reactions to the anime, it's must be 30 times better than the manga Razz
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
FLCL comes to mind.. I haven't watched the anime but from all of the reactions to the anime, it's must be 30 times better than the manga Razz

Right, but with FLCL, the anime came first. As has been said multiple times, to me it's usually whichever is the original source material that I prefer. I think this is generally because the story is designed for whatever form it originally appears in, so adapting that story to a different medium you're forced to lose some of the things that made the story work so well in the first place. Also, you lose the artistic intent of the original creator in the process.
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Right, but with FLCL, the anime came first. As has been said multiple times, to me it's usually whichever is the original source material that I prefer. I think this is generally because the story is designed for whatever form it originally appears in, so adapting that story to a different medium you're forced to lose some of the things that made the story work so well in the first place. Also, you lose the artistic intent of the original creator in the process.
Ohh I agree with you Smile The original source of the story seems to be the best!

For instance, maybe if they waited until Naruto finished printing they wouldn't have so many fillers to upset people? Haha just a hunch. But of course banking on the popularity of it, how could they not start the anime before the manga was finished Smile
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
For instance, maybe if they waited until Naruto finished printing they wouldn't have so many fillers to upset people? Haha just a hunch. But of course banking on the popularity of it, how could they not start the anime before the manga was finished Smile

I think it's more of a problem where anime needs to have "seasons" the way American shows do instead of forcing shows to have a new episode every week. That way, you'd never need fillers at all. But that's getting off-topic....
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Most anime doesn't have the filler issues that Naruto have had and there are many that do have "seasons." While it isn't completely isolated, the issues Naruto has aren't widespread to most anime (at least not what I watch Razz).

As has been said, the orginal material is usually - but not always - the better version. And in most cases with anime, the original version is a manga, thus why so many of them are considered "better" (though I would disagree that the Fushigi Yuugi manga is better than the anime, since I think they are about the same).
Monumension

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This is just my opinion of course, but most of the time I agree the mangas are superior to their anime counterparts. That is – and it has been pointed out above me – if the manga was the original medium, and more importantly, like Jetz said; if the manga was the medium which introduced you to the franchise. I’ve enjoyed Gainax productions like FLCL and NG: Evangelion better than the mangas since those were both originally anime. Adaptations like Gantz and Berserk (and Nausicaä although it still managed to be a good movie) among others didn’t quite live up to the originals because of abrupt endings and the fact that they covered only parts of the manga they were based on.

Until a couple of weeks ago I’d say this was an absolute norm, but then I was pleasantly surprised by the Basilisk anime which imo clearly exceeded the manga in quality. Where the original story felt rushed and incomplete, the anime took its time and added (or changed, but not for the worse) details and fleshed out characters and story, something I felt lacked in the o. manga. The excellent animation only helped my good impression. So I won’t jump to the “original manga is always superior” conclusion, I’d rather wait to see how the anime turns out. I do read a lot more manga than I watch anime so there might be hidden gems out there I’ve yet to see.

Last edited by Monumension on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7