• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mega Man's Inafune Works on Dating Sim for Female Gamers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
This certainly is a giant jump from Mega Man, that's for certain. I'll admit, I was surprised to see a Mega Man RPG created some odd years ago, but I can't say I expected the author create a game for said genre.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
Since men are more, ahem, visually oriented than women, he'd probably be better off making a dating sim for gay male gamers.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Since men are more, ahem, visually oriented than women, he'd probably be better off making a dating sim for gay male gamers.

I've never head of video games specifically aimed at gay men. Seems too niche.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
So Inafune is making otome games now? Don't want to call it a step down, but no other company wants him around? Was his relationship with Capcom really that strained to kind of put a mark on his record? Or is this a direction he wanted to go down? Too bad its not the game for me.
fortykoubuns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
The guy responsible for Megaman Legends and Dead Rising is taking part in an Otome game? I don't care what all you haters think.

I want this game to come out to America. BAD.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Inafune seems desperate..
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
so, the guy who kept claiming CAPCOM wasn't making enough of an effort to appeal to the West is...making an otome game. God, my respect for this man is so low it's next to dinosaur bones
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is different. Didn't expect this. Well, one thing's for sure. He'll get that done.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
so, the guy who kept claiming CAPCOM wasn't making enough of an effort to appeal to the West is...making an otome game. God, my respect for this man is so low it's next to dinosaur bones

God forbid the man find something to do to pay the bills.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

God forbid the man find something to do to pay the bills.

I wouldn't mind so much if doing this didn't make his past comments sound like he was just being a gutless, crybaby hypocrite
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

I'm not sure how Rockman is more western appealing than the Biohazard series. Biohazard seems to be the most western thing Capcom has.
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Was his relationship with Capcom really that strained to kind of put a mark on his record?

If companies distrust him, it might be because of his negative comments on the Japanese game industry. He criticized everything from the conservative nature of Capcom management to the laid back attitude/work ethic of many Japanese developers (i.e. Japanese companies are comparatively stable, so developers are rarely in danger of being out of work. Therefore, they become lazy and complacent, just going through the motions for the next pay cheque).

Probably ruffled some feathers in the process.

Quote:
Or is this a direction he wanted to go down? Too bad its not the game for me.

I doubt it. He seems to be signing whatever contract he can get his hands on.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
He criticized everything from the conservative nature of Capcom management to the laid back attitude/work ethic of many Japanese developers (i.e. Japanese companies are comparatively stable, so developers are rarely in danger of being out of work. Therefore, they become lazy and complacent, just going through the motions for the next pay cheque).

But that describes Inafune as well. Every Rockman game is just the same thing with different bosses.. Dead Rising 2 was just Dead Rising 1 with the camera replaced with building weapons.. it still took place in a mall like the first one. I don't think he really has much of a leg to stand on in calling other people out for laziness.

And that applies to the Western industry as well. Look at the endless sports titles 'update', or Call of Duty, or pretty much any generic FPS or third-person cover-based shooter. His motion on the need to appeal to Americans makes no sense in that regard. This whole generation of gaming went down the tube.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Inafune you're dead to me.
Togame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The real-life Inafune designed the iconic character Rockman/Mega Man

This is not quite so though. Inafune admitted that it was another designer working on the original NES game that created Rockman. Inafune did other designs for that game, sure, but "Inafune created Rockman" is a common misconception.

Source[/list]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2