• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Idolmeister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Idolmaster is really more for people who played and enjoyed the games. My only exposure to it was when they included some of the idol costumes from the series in Tales of the World Radiant Mythology that you can trade for Grade points. Disturbingly, if you chose to be a male protagonist, you can still wear them, which is all kinds of wrong. 0.0
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
Ouch that is a bit harsh for Idolmaster. Well I guess everyone cannot like it. I've only seen up to episode 2 and decided to wait for the BD rips to come out and then finish up the series.

Holy hell that a nice collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, Idolmaster has some great character development for the cast and their lives as idols.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was a little disappointed starting with episode 12, when a bikini babe is introduced as a regular character. She's tough too, but the bikini doesn't leave much to the imagination… unless you're imagining how physics manage to keep that thing on during sword fights. Maybe Blue Exorcist was falling in the reader surveys the week she was introduced.

Is that a Bakuman reference? My hat's off to Erin in case. And if it's not, too.

"Quick! We need bikinis, battles or battle bikinis! We're dropping down the 10th place!"

As for Idol and Prince... well, the same garbage for the same target demographic, but different gender...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

While I can't speak for him, the Rightstuf versions of Utena are so much better than the Central Park releases that it's totally worth double dipping, just on the quality of the video alone. It's not a matter of new content, but rather it looks so much nicer.

I'm curious though, how many pictures is one allowed to send for Shelf Life? I ask because I'm slowly getting my collection organized, and it's a pretty sizable one so if I take a lot of close up shots, it'll get to be a lot of pictures.

Thanks for answering my question on his behalf! I asked because I've been wanting to buy Utena but I wasn't sure if I should buy the original (for 'nostalgia' reasons) or get the Rightstuf re-releases. But I know now! I definitively like Nozomi DVDs since they, like SailorS says, have higher video quality & because they add many bonus content which is always nice.

I'm not sure what the official amount is but no more than 30 pictures (unless you have every single anime, manga, video game, figma, etc. in existence!!!!) I say this because usually you take two kinds of pictures with Shelf Life: Broad (the viewer can see the entire shelf/room) and Detail (the viewer clearly can see the labels/titles/names on manga, anime, and video game & merchandise.)

For example, my collection is somewhat medium (lots of books but few anime & merch.) so I would send 10-12 photos.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

As for Idol and Prince... well, the same garbage for the same target demographic, but different gender...

You hit the nail on the head there. I recognize my own gender bias in that I couldn't stand Idol Master and keep coming back for more Uta-Pri. Rolling Eyes If it wasn't for those comments, I'd be more horrified that I'm still watching it...actually, I'm kind of horrified anyway.

On the gender line of commentary, I find it bizarre that of all the shows I previewed, two of the three that I'm still watching are Uta-Pri and Yuru Yuri. (The third is No. 6.) Neither of those are genres I typically think of myself as enjoying, but there I am...week after week...watching one show for girls and one for guys.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
I hope NicoNico.com catches on. It's a lot of fun.
Right now the number of comments is still small compared to the Japanese side, e.g. as of this moment Uta no Prince-sama #8 has 2,103 comments on niconico.com and 99,035 comments on nicovideo.jp
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
^ I tried Niconico for Dantalian but I couldn't seem to get it to go true full-screen (I wasn't interested in the comments) so when Crunchyroll, who also has the series, offered me a free trial I went ahead and took it and haven't gone back ot Niconico >_> I'm the kind of person who threatens extended torture on people who bring crinkly bags into a theater, though. I can't imagine the appeal of watching a show with a bunch of other people's obnoxious commentary covering the screen.

I started off in love with Blue Exorcist but then slowly drifted away from it around episode 11. The music is great-- I was constantly impressed with the BGM for almost every scene-- as is the voicework, not to mention the gorgeous animation. It's just that it got really dull. And now I see that there is, in fact, a fighting bikini babe... I guess there's no reason to go back :\ That's too bad, really. I wonder if it's going to be one of those shounen series that just goes on forever? I don't know how they could keep up the level of quality in the first few eps if that's the case, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, Jump Square is a monthly publication. It'd be impossible for Blue Exorcist to be a long running anime.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I actually really like Idolm@ster as well. (In the Summer preview, I gave it a freakishly high review.) I think it's a lot better than the other Million Girls In One Show shows out there, simply because it does show things from the girls' perspectives. To me, there's something a little sad and sinister about the way they describe their days and work schedules, and it speaks volumes about the current state of the idol industry.

For instance, instead of just having a stupid catchphrase, you see the characters actively try to remember to say it, or you see them consciously slip into their pre-designated persona whenever they're in public. They know that they have to pander to fans in order to stay in the biz.

Am I the only one that sees the series this way? It makes the girls more human, I think.

No, I was quite impressed as well. To enter show business, they know they have to swallow their pride and do a lot of embarrassing things to reach their goals. I really like that they must start with such modest jobs as distributing pamphlets on the street, being extras or doing small roles in TV shows, be part of small live dance performances, etc. The difficulty of making a debut and the down-to-earth jobs to me make the characters a bit more human too.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... so you watched three episodes of a series, admitted that the third ep was ok and a huge improvement, and pronounced it flushable. I didn't realize that this was a troll column... perhaps you should consider moonlighting for sankaku complex. Laughing
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Is that a Bakuman reference? My hat's off to Erin in case. And if it's not, too.

My intro segment was all about Bakuman! So, yes...

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

While I can't speak for him, the Rightstuf versions of Utena are so much better than the Central Park releases that it's totally worth double dipping, just on the quality of the video alone. It's not a matter of new content, but rather it looks so much nicer.

Thanks for answering my question on his behalf! I asked because I've been wanting to buy Utena but I wasn't sure if I should buy the original (for 'nostalgia' reasons) or get the Rightstuf re-releases.

Awww... you guys didn't read my review? I watched it with someone who owned the CPM sets:
erinfinnegan wrote:
I field-tested this Utena re-release with a fangirl who owned the previous Central Park Media DVDs to see if you, the reader, ought to buy this again. My test subject drooled over the included color booklet, filled with production art and lengthy interviews, then she raved that the new DVDs have much brighter colors, so she would have to buy them. The results of this experiment lead me to conclude that this should be a re-buy.

rti9 wrote:
While reading Erin's review, it sort of seems that one of the problems is the view of what an idol is supposed to be.

So what is an idol supposed to be? Because I've never understood the point of idols.

SakechanBD wrote:
I actually really like Idolm@ster as well. (In the Summer preview, I gave it a freakishly high review.) I think it's a lot better than the other Million Girls In One Show shows out there, simply because it does show things from the girls' perspectives. To me, there's something a little sad and sinister about the way they describe their days and work schedules, and it speaks volumes about the current state of the idol industry.

Bamboo is right about the show humanizing the idols (at least a little) and showing the realistic side of being an idol. The tone of my review may have been overly harsh this time around. I tried to soften the review's ending, because if the show does get better, I would give it another chance. I was disappointed that only three episodes came out before my deadline.

I hated Idolmaster less than that Dark Rabbit show, for example, but I still felt it fell on the Flushable side of the line. If it were a DVD volume, it might be Rental if episode four was alright.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
That's really interesting because I know you absolutely hate Hetalia, Erin. So the second I saw that comment I knew where the review was going!

My attitude on Hetalia really turned around after I saw that Walter Amos panel at Genericon. I respect Hetalia way more now. Sometimes I even think it's funny.

vashfanatic wrote:
The existence of Uta no Prince-sama and its ilk is potent proof that Databases exist for female fans every bit as much as for male ones (as she looks at the Samurai Girls ad covering her screen). There are certain "types" that female consumers want, and studios regurgitate them on a regular basis. And if it's not the kind of thing you're into, you'll inevitably find it more annoying than amusing.

On the plus side, this allows the existence of Ouran High School Host Club (just as the male version allowed for Higurashi), so I'm really not complaining all that much.

I think one advantage for American viewers watching Ouran (especially boys) is an innocent un-familiarity with bishonen types.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The Idolmaster is alot better than what was said about it, it's one of my favorites the series starts to pick up episode 4 and up.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Awww... you guys didn't read my review?

No, I read your review, and I believe I more or less agreed with it. I was just saying that the extras, to me at any rate, aren't the main reason to double dip, but rather the much improved video quality.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm relieved that this thread is showing me how many people are liking it without knowing the games. I've loved IM@S for so long (and have made 8 different Haruka costumes), and I'm so happy that this well done anime is bringing in new fans!

SakechanBD wrote:

For instance, instead of just having a stupid catchphrase, you see the characters actively try to remember to say it, or you see them consciously slip into their pre-designated persona whenever they're in public. They know that they have to pander to fans in order to stay in the biz.

Am I the only one that sees the series this way? It makes the girls more human, I think.

That sounds spot on, to me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5