• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: What do you think of Moe?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh, tempest, what have you created?

Before anything else, I am unable to vote for some reason and am only able to view the results. Whatever. I suppose the closest would be, "The concept of moe disturbs me, but I respect the rights of others to enjoy what they like, even though it disturbs me," and just replace "respect" with "generally tolerate." Then again, it depends on what definition your going by. I mean, if it is what many claim (and appears to be the most agreed upon definition), then I just don't find myself in awe of "feelings of wanting to protect a character who is also cute" or whatever. I mean, whatever happened to words like "sympathy," "emotional attachment," or somethin' akin to that? That concept is just downright ridiculous to me because it also entails, on occasions, the creepy association of lacking a spine of one's own, so to speak, so as a result there is a sudden gravitation to this character who is purposefully put in a manipulatively sad position and where the viewers is basically forced to feel sorry for them. I just don't buy into that.

Take what I say obviously with a grain of salt, as the only two "moe-centered" anime/manga that I've ever truly enjoyed is Air and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (might as well throw in the OVA and TV series of Magic User's Club since I don't know how to classify that, and I haven't seen Princess Tutu) as I frankly don't "get" the "MOE~!" applied to Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba&!.

I'll probably be kicking myself later for jumping into this...

Iritscen wrote:
I think, actually, that people don't look at the '50s with rose-tinted glasses nowadays. (Is that what you meant?) People are very condescending and morally superior towards the '50s all because, yes, America had a white-centric attitude, and yes, we were all afraid of the Communists and gays, and so they laugh at the people of the '50s like they were simple-minded cavemen.

Yeah, and so now we are apparently all still fearful of gays, have the agenda of Communists replaced by Environmentalists in the sense of propaganda being spread, and racism to have taken on new forms (Middle Easterners, anyone?) while numerous African-Americans (not all, so don't call me out on this) stuck in the rut of glorification of superficiality, sexism, racism, and playing more of the role of being "victimized like their ancestors" when they obviously weren't even alive during slavery, and some of them not even being alive during the heated times of the '50s.

My point which a few might call bull on? The targets and situations have simply changed. There will always be some constant problems like these, and like Malintex Terek said, we will likely be thought of in a similar view a couple or so generations down the line.

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe our media is the cause of all our problems. Or maybe it's something else that's been studied. There could be a cause no one's considered that's the real culprit. The evidence supporting the idea that our entainment industry is to blame has not proven the case yet.

But it wouldn't be illogical to say that it is the fault of not only just the entertainment industry, but those who eat up such drivel. The consumers are just as much to place the blame upon as are the suppliers.

Quote:
We can't even have a calm debate about the value of a national ID card without people screaming "1984!"

You mean people aren't screaming out "We!", or is that too Communist fer ya? (It is a bit surprising to see that not too many people are familiar with the novel considering that it is arguably the biggest influence on 1984.)

Quote:
Do you really think people would respond well to aggressive censorship?

It depends on what type of censorship, for what reasons, who would benefit, and who wouldn't. If, for example, people are throwing a rage about their neko-maido-loli-twincest-whatever getting censored and calling out injustice, then I seriously think that they need to reconsider what they're doing with their life.

Malintex Terek wrote:
I mean, one title that comes to recent memory that idealizes several of these stereotypes is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and another series, Evangelion, is getting some new movies.

Wait, where did NGE come into all this? Yeah, the original series has a lot of sexual fan service, but so does all of Gainax's anime except for The Wings of Honneamise, and heck, the majority of anime does, too.

Quote:
I'm still at a disadvantage though without knowing much about Azumanga; I'll see if I can get my hands on something in the near future.

Personally I'm at a bit of a loss as to why Azumanga Daioh is considered moe, but then again there appears to be no final agreement on what moe truly is because you have so many folks poppin' in with their definition, and the origins of the word (from what I understand) are so utterly ridiculous that I really can't get much understanding out of it as I mentioned above.

Mirrinus wrote:
And oftentimes, such a characterization is meant for other purposes, such as to serve as a foil for another character (like how Mikuru is a foil for Haruhi), or as a form of satire. It's especially dangerous to make such an assumption about a comedy show...

There's a fine line between satire and fan service, and in the case of anime they are frequently used in tangent. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya straddles it and falls into fan service way too often. From what I remember of it, Mikuru's character is, for all intents and purposes, pretty much useless and largely only serves to exist as to please t3h fapboys with the various amount of outfits that she'll wear. And, sorry to say, I don't buy the "foil" bit about Mikuru for Haruhi at all.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
From what I remember of it, Mikuru's character is, for all intents and purposes, pretty much useless and largely only serves to exist as to please t3h fapboys with the various amount of outfits that she'll wear. And, sorry to say, I don't buy the "foil" bit about Mikuru for Haruhi at all.

Well, remember that Mikuru was originally created in novel form without any indication that it'd ever be animated, and you don't exactly get to see her in various outfits in the novels all that often...

Really though, Mikuru and Yuki are just too different from Haruhi to be a mere coincidence, and I personally think their contrast is an important aspect of Kyon's own character development (I'm thinking of novel 4 right now...it's pretty spoilerific though).
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

And I will not have that, "loli'" is way more fun to say than "moe" and I almost never mean it in the over sensualized/sexualized term.

Agreed, I don't care if I'm not being politically correct, "Non-sexualized moe anime character typically between the age of three and thirteen!" isn't nearly as fun to chant as "loli loli loli!"
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of moe per say, but I do have issues with those who try to use the term as a blanket to cover loli. They're just wolves in sheep's clothing and only fooling the noobs, and nieve Confused
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Dragonball had a lot less moe/fanservice than Yu Yu Hakusho, which in turn had less moe/fanservice than One Piece.

Really? I know DB/Z pretty well but have never read the Yu Yu or OP manga. How do you mean fan service? Somehow OP seems rather more innocent than I would expect if it offers fan service as I define it (I have a hard time imagining Nami in a bathing suit or less, or whether that would even be appealing).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Malintex Terek wrote:
Exposure to moe won't drive people down that road, but massive exposure might, and with each subsequent introduction to different facets of that road the end result becomes progressively closer.

I'm not arguing that, "watching Haruhi will create pedophiles and murderers", I'm saying that "stereotypes as portrayed in Haruhi, en masse, is a prime conditioning agent for generating apathy toward alternative viewpoints on the subject of female equity", which is the first step toward murder/rape.
Obsession is a problem regardless of what one is obsessed with. Any obsession can potentially lead to criminal acts.

I do think you're looking at the wrong area of psychological motivation for rapists/murderers though. You're suggesting that the impulses are coming from a stereotyped view of women and that apathy itself creates a danger of committing such acts. While I agree that apathy is a problem, it doesn't lead to crime but rather to ignoring the plight of victims of crime or not trying to help people who are in need. The most important factor that motivates criminals is a desire to make themselves feel better. No body goes out and rapes a woman just because they think women are "inferior" or whatever. They do it because it makes them feel good.

If anything, I'd say that narcissism is far more dangerous than misogynism.

Malintex Terek wrote:
I'm not advocating so strong a mode of censorship such as to basically reduce all media to propoganda, but stronger regulations in regard to the limit of content in advertisements.
I guess I just can't see much of a difference. Censorship is censorship in my mind, although I do see your point about advertising. If a large group of people got together and protested and that brought about a change, I'd say great, but I just don't like the idea of the state dictating these things. (Age guidelines I can get behind because some material is just plain inappropriate for kids, but otherwise, I'm completely against censorship.)

Malintex Terek wrote:
I wish I had more time at hand to talk about behaviorism, but the employing thereof has empirically been responsible for the promotion of a lot of "bad stuff" in the past ten years and is the primary agent in "corrupting" the youth of today, especially in regard to certain racial slurs.
Then campaign against the specific things promoting these problems. Heck, I agree with you that a lot of really horrible attitudes are being promoted in today's marketplace. However, I can't abide by using the government to solve this problem as it will only create more problems dealing with First Amendment issues.

I've seen and heard things that I thought were absolutely horrific, both in my anime/manga fandom and in just my day to day life. Still, I think it's better to strike at specific targets rather than saturation bomb people's free speech. (Yeah, I know my rhetoric seems to be getting a tad hyperbolic but this really is how I feel about censorship.)

Malintex Terek wrote:
Education is the only real way out of that pit of depravity, really; that's the whole campaign of the feminist movement, isn't it? To educate people to the plight of women suffering under men for so long and to stimulate feelings of tolerance?
Actually I'd say that there is a sizable number of women who view feminism as nothing more or less than female superiority or abortion privileges, but that's a can of worms I'd rather keep shut. I agree that education is very important, but personally, I think the reason this country has gone so far down the tubs is because of government run public schools, so you can understand why I wouldn't think having the government making decisions about censorship to be a good thing. Also, tolerance and censorship don't really seem like concepts that can walk hand in hand with eachother.

The day that some politician finally puts a stake through the FCC's heart will be a great day for me.

I think that you and I should just agree to disagree on this issue. We've each got a fair idea of the other's view point and it's clear neither of us is going to change their mind anytime soon. Although I would appreciate you at least giving me the benefit of the doubt when it comes to having the media influence my brain. My upbring instilled a very strong independent streak in me.
HellKorn wrote:
You mean people aren't screaming out "We!", or is that too Communist fer ya? (It is a bit surprising to see that not too many people are familiar with the novel considering that it is arguably the biggest influence on 1984.)
To be honest, I'd never heard of this novel prior to that Wiki article, so I can't comment much about it. Also, I'm not completely sure what point you're tying to make. (I apologize but I'm not getting it.)

HellKorn wrote:
It depends on what type of censorship, for what reasons, who would benefit, and who wouldn't. If, for example, people are throwing a rage about their neko-maido-loli-twincest-whatever getting censored and calling out injustice, then I seriously think that they need to reconsider what they're doing with their life.
Perhaps but that doesn't change the fact that having legal authority to censor one thing leads to having the authority to censor more things. It's common knowledge that the US government has grown progressively more powerful and controlling over time. It might do us all some good to try and reverse that trend.

Also, unless real people/children were involved in making it, you can't possibly argue that complete fabrications can be considered subject to censorship without opening the doors to all such creative works being subject to the same censoring.

Wolverine Princess wrote:
Agreed, I don't care if I'm not being politically correct, "Non-sexualized moe anime character typically between the age of three and thirteen!" isn't nearly as fun to chant as "loli loli loli!"
Trust the Princess of Wolverines to bring some much needed humor to this thread.

Say, wasn't this thread about moe once upon a time?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Say, wasn't this thread about moe once upon a time?
Sadly moe isn't what it use to be these days.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
Well, remember that Mikuru was originally created in novel form without any indication that it'd ever be animated, and you don't exactly get to see her in various outfits in the novels all that often...

The art that was originally drawn for the novel kind of screams "ANIME STYLE" and I've heard various comments from those who have read the said novels that the author seemed to be, shall we say, inspired by certain aspects of anime. I don't know the credibility on that, so I can't go much further than that.

Point is, though, we're not talking about the source material, but the anime. Her role isn't much more than fan service, and there isn't much a fan can argue about that as much as they would like to throw around the "satire" angle.

Quote:
Really though, Mikuru and Yuki are just too different from Haruhi to be a mere coincidence, and I personally think their contrast is an important aspect of Kyon's own character development (I'm thinking of novel 4 right now...it's pretty spoilerific though).

There are such extremities as exaggerations, stereotypes, archetypes, etc. and why not bother to make a comparison with Haruhi and Itsuki instead of Mikuru and Yuki to Haruhi? I'd seriously doubt that there's any grand scheme or ultimate groundbreaking revelation with their personalities like that -- they're just meant to be appealing and/or likable to the audience. There's not much science behind that.

For the record, as much as I find The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to be overrated, I enjoyed nearly as much as so.

Richard J. wrote:
Obsession is a problem regardless of what one is obsessed with. Any obsession can potentially lead to criminal acts.

But not all obsessions are equally hazardous to one's health. I mean, whether it's just simply because of society's view or the individuals, I'd take it that the typical person would think an obsession with music is healthier/less hazardous than watching drawn, stereotypical moe characters on their screens.

And I'm not going to go into the "lolicon ---> rape" issue since I find the argument for that weak, and I have other problems with lolicon outside of the rather misguided fear of "IT WILL MAKE PEDOPHILES AND RAPE LITTLE GIRLS" or whatever is being spewed.

Quote:
I guess I just can't see much of a difference. Censorship is censorship in my mind, although I do see your point about advertising.

Well, I'm against censorship in principle, but again, not every single one isn't beneficial or even harmful.

Quote:
To be honest, I'd never heard of this novel prior to that Wiki article, so I can't comment much about it. Also, I'm not completely sure what point you're tying to make. (I apologize but I'm not getting it.)

It was more like an offhand comment than anything else. Then again, my sense of humor is a bit too bizarre in itself...

Quote:
Perhaps but that doesn't change the fact that having legal authority to censor one thing leads to having the authority to censor more things.

I don't really tend to think of it as a domino effect. True, it has happened before, but one act does not mean that it will be repeated. But that's another issue.

Quote:
It's common knowledge that the US government has grown progressively more powerful and controlling over time. It might do us all some good to try and reverse that trend.

I was actually wondering whether or not Japan might actually attempt to make some strides to having certain otaku not have to get their fix of whatever fetish it is that is keeping them from the real world. The United States has its own problems, and I don't think cutesy female characters or whatever is on that list.

Quote:
Also, unless real people/children were involved in making it, you can't possibly argue that complete fabrications can be considered subject to censorship without opening the doors to all such creative works being subject to the same censoring.

I understand what you mean, and I agree to an extent, but again, not every single little thing is ultimately as harmful as the other. A statement against, say, illegal immigrants might have an actual point to come across. Then let's turn around and look at lolicon/shoutacon (since this topic has shifted from moe to lolicon, like all topics of such subjects inevitably do). The only real purpose there is pure self-pleasure of someone getting off from looking at a child being seriously sexualized. Yeah, it's drawn, and yeah, it's probably stylized, but the fact remains is that it's drawn to look like a child being put in that position. I don't think too highly of that, but I can ignore it were the person otherwise fine. The problem, though, is that largely those who do indulge in such interests aren't the most socially capable, and it bothers me that sad cases like them are being ignored and no real help is given to help. But I digress.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Dragonball had a lot less moe/fanservice than Yu Yu Hakusho, which in turn had less moe/fanservice than One Piece.

It's news to me that Dragonball had any moe at all.

I can see readers possibly getting moe over any young, innocent character, but DB really had no moe whatsoever.

(For starters, the "moe phenomenon" didn't exist yet).

Why do you even put moe and fanservice together? They aren't remotely related.

As for "fanservice" there were some echi jokes at Bulma's expense in the earlier volumes, although it's debatable if these can be labelled fanservice since they were used as plot devices. (While fanservice is the insertion of unnecessary material for no purpose other than to pander to the readers/viewers).

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11