• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed reading this book, after having watched the anime. I don't mind the differences, and I found it more plainly stated about just how much time elapsed during the story. I don't remember really knowing what the time span of the first anime arc was (or maybe I've just forgotten that detail).

I plan to support this series by purchasing at least another couple of copies as gifts for friends/family. ^_^

It's too bad that there's going to be a year between books, though... ;_;

Possible minor correction to the review: IIRC, the "Kino no Tabi" books are also supposed to be found in the Young Adult section of the bookstore. I think that everything else has been sent to the manga shelves.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
based on this review i hope that the FMP novels get this type of quality treatment
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
based on this review i hope that the FMP novels get this type of quality treatment

I've read Chain Mail (super, SUPER good), Scrapped Princess, Kino no Tabi, and just bought this one, and translation is superb in all. As long as the FMP series is released in the Pop Fiction line, there should be no problems. I'm looking quite forward to the release of the FMP novels, though it'll take a LONG time to get to where the anime ended off, since that's past the 10th novel. Unless TP decides to release the "Fumoffu" short story collections seperately, which definitely won't happen.

I should really start Twelve Kingdoms soon.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Possible minor correction to the review: IIRC, the "Kino no Tabi" books are also supposed to be found in the Young Adult section of the bookstore. I think that everything else has been sent to the manga shelves.

Yup, yup! I found my copy of the first volume of Kino no Tabi in the Young Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction section of Borders. I didn't realize that Twelve Kingdoms was supposed to be in the Young Adult section, too. I even looked it up on the Borders web site to see what section it would be shelved in, and I thought it said the manga section. Maybe I'll have to have another look. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, the Twelve Kingdoms anime has been on my list for a while, and while I still haven't seen it, I am very excited to but this novel on my list as well. One question- does anyone know if there will be a paperback version? I don't want to come across as a "When's the thinpak coming??" type person, it's just that I find 400+ page hardcover books difficult to read in bed with.. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Monochrome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
I found the book in the manga section right along all the mangas at my local Borders store. They also had it marked up to $19 although I had a significant coupon that countered that. Kino no Tabi was in the young adult section however.

Although it's a large number of pages, it's still quite short. Because of it's small size, large margins and large print it doesn't seem much longer than perhaps the first Harry Potter book. It only took me a couple days of casual reading to blow right through it.

It is amazingly good however and I'm incredibly eager for the next one to come out and start delving into the other stories especially the King of En and Enki.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm immensely enjoying this release, Ono's written version immediately sucked me into the world of the twelve kingdoms compared with the anime that took me up to the eighth episode to get me intrigued. I really love Ono's descriptive style; the events are detailed and her writing is fluid -thanks to the excellent translation that made me appreciate that-

I hope that the first volume would sell well enough to encourage TP to bring over the other ones.
johnmora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence novel was a hardcover release, so Twelve Kingdoms isn't the first.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Monochrome wrote:
I found the book in the manga section right along all the mangas at my local Borders store. They also had it marked up to $19 although I had a significant coupon that countered that. Kino no Tabi was in the young adult section however.

I find this curious, because both my local Borders and my local Barnes and Noble had it in their catalogues as a Young Adult title. So much for corporate consistency. Razz

Concerning other comments, I was not aware that a GITS: Innocence novel had come out in the U.S., much less in hardback form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
One question- does anyone know if there will be a paperback version? I don't want to come across as a "When's the thinpak coming??" type person, it's just that I find 400+ page hardcover books difficult to read in bed with.. :p

Manipulating a hardcover is an art, many rigorous days of training will be needed to master it! Laughing But more seriously, Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow's format make it pretty easy to read or maybe I am just used to read hardcover everywhere.

Quote:
A crude map of the layout of the Twelve Kingdoms can be found at the beginning, one whose lack of elegance may pain those used to the wonderfully-drawn maps seen in the anime.

Oh, the map, that ugly little map! Not only those used Twelve Kingdoms' maps, will be hurt, but does used to fantasy world's maps in general. Anyway, as a big fan of the genre, I am used to well drawn and sometime even gorgeously colored maps, but that was a big let down.

Personally, I founded the book in the English manga section in L'Imaginaire, (a manga/comic/cards/figurines/table games specialized place) aside from there, the book is impossible to find anywhere, since the English section in my local book stores are smaller than... the manga section (the worst case is ten books) but I live in Québec so it's nothing special.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Monochrome wrote:

I find this curious, because both my local Borders and my local Barnes and Noble had it in their catalogues as a Young Adult title. So much for corporate consistency. Razz

I saw the Twelve Kingdoms novel in the manga section at Borders today. I haven't seen it at other stores but I never checked outside the manga section for it. I've seen Kino no Tabi in the manga section at Borders and two Barnes&Nobles. I would think they all at least got a couple of copies, so the other stores probably had them in the Young Adult section.
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I bought mine from Amazon two weeks before it was released so I have nothing on location... but I am just adding to the comment on there being typos... yeah, more typos than I would have thought would have gotten by an editor. Maybe they know we'll keep buying them despite so they don't worry so much. Haha, but yeah, the book was great. So nice there's no Sugimoto in the Juuni Kokki world... I understand how the anime somewhat needed her to keep the plot interesting in animated form, but I didn't miss her at all. I can't wait for En-oh, Rokuta, and Taiki backstories in the future. Anime smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
I found my copy of The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow yesterday in the odd section "Teen Manga." It was a very small (and rather disorganized) little section on the second floor of the Barnes & Noble while the rest of the manga was downstairs. What was interesting was that most the manga in that little quarter-shelf section of it seemed to be shoujo and yaoi. Strange, huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely excited about my Twelve Kingdoms novel. Ever since the anime ended, I've been dying to know what happened to Taiki (and was very upset when I found out there weren't any more anime eps to come). I found my copy at Barnes and Noble in the New YA Fiction section. I hope they release the novels fairly quickly while maintaining the quality that everyone seems impressed with.

Now I just have to finish Son of a Witch first, and then I can start 12K.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Now I just have to finish Son of a Witch first, and then I can start 12K.

Man, I should read Son of a Witch. That title is so funny, I couldn't help from laughing when I first saw it in the bookstore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2