• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ring's Hideo Nakata to Helm Death Note Spinoff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
wait... what? would someone explain to me how this is even possible? only way i can even think of is if it's based on his past or something.
ikky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wait... what? would someone explain to me how this is even possible? only way i can even think of is if it's based on his past or something.

I believe it's supposed to be based on the case L worked on with Naomi Misora (Raye Penbar's fiancèe). So it's a prequel.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I believe it's supposed to be based on the case L worked on with Naomi Misora (Raye Penbar's fiancèe). So it's a prequel.

Wouldn't mind seeing this, but it kind of take the suspense ot of this movie when you know Spoiler for anime upto episode 25 spoiler[that both characters live considering that we already know how both characters bite the big one.] Maybe I should wait and see before I decide to pass any judgement, there's been plenty of good prequels....
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, knowing that characters are going to live through prequels is a problem that applies to all prequels. As a more general mystery without any Death Notes, though, I'm not sure that it matters. You can generally be pretty certain that Holmes or Poirot is going to live through any given adventure, for example. What I wonder is whether they'll be able to come up with a good story without Death Note's fascinating supernatural gimmick.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This is cool. I can't wait. I think prequels can work because you can still be deeply involved even if you know how things turn out. Sometimes it makes you even more involved because it's so sad to see where they come from and know what they've been through. But they have no idea what terrible thing will happen to them while you do. I think it makes you feel even sorrier for them. Think of the movie "Titanic" (sorry--best reference I could think of). It is pretty much the most successful movie ever, even though everybody knew the ending before sitting down.
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I believe there was a novel spinoff involving some case L took that shed some light on his past. Perhaps that's what this is based off of?
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

well.... L is supposed to be a genius detective who had solved numerous difficult cases before he joined the Kira case, so there should be plenty of interesting cases to talk about.

Anyway, really looking forward to see this. as I always think L is a more interesting charachter than Light. But I guess they might give Light a camero apperance in the movie too.... like someone on the background orsomething.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
AND, according to the fanbook "How to Read," L is actually 30-years-old or something, so they have many years to draw from.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, here's a review of the second Ring movie. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, here's a review of the second Ring movie. Rolling Eyes

What the hell does a review for the second Ring movie have to do with a spinoff series of Deathnote about L? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
The director of "L" directed the second Ring movie?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The director of "L" directed the second Ring movie?

Yeah, I see that part, but I still don't see what connects what happens within the Ring movie with this upcoming series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
It's just to give you an idea of what he could do with "L".
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's just to give you an idea of what he could do with "L".

It's trolling. So some anonymous dude on the Internet named "Jesse" said it's a 0/10. OK. He also said this:
Quote:
The film is directed by Hideo Nakata, who also directed the original Japanese version of The Ring and other acclaimed films such as Chaos and Dark Water.

On the same site (which may or may not provide meaningful criticism) the referenced movies got 8/10, <not> and 8/10. And rather than direction, wasn't the problem with the The Ring 2 a crappy script that was modified to be even worse than the story used for the Japanese Ringu 2?

In any case, at worst, what we can infer from your link is that if Nakata comes to America to re-direct an English language remake of already crap-story sequel to something that he's previously done well, it might turn out as bad as it was designed to be. Fair enough.

It still has precisely nothing to do with "L".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1