• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: How Should Funimation Release One Piece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
I for one voted for start from the beginning. As far as the Funi broadcast on CN, I would assume they would run it in the 10 - 11 (Eastern) time slot where they ran the DBZ uncut episodes, so although I wouldn't say it won't have any censorship, I would say it is likely to be at a much more tolerable level. Remember, the 4Kids version ran on Saturday mornings originally. Just getting the original opening and ending sequences will be a significant improvement.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the 1300+ other people so far that have voted for start from the beginning. It's a chance to go back and mend the damage that was done, to show people how the show is in it's entirety.
scorpio_ryder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
So, FUNimation's broadcast episodes will start with 144, right? Is this the beginning of a new story arc, so I can just pick it up from there? Just curious...

Yep, FUNimation's dub will start on the Jaya arc. This is probably one of the best places to start, in my opinion. Very Happy
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I for one like most of the story arcs in One Piece, but I generally agree that Skypiea/Jaya is one of the greater arcs to begin with since it's one of such an epic scale.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well, being a long shonen series, I wasn't really planning on adding another DVD extensive series to my list, BUT since Funimation has it now and it'll be uncut, I totally want to support them on this move, so I guess One Piece will be joining my shelves when they arrive.

I see the reasons behind the different options, but personally, like the majority, I'd rather them start the DVDs from the beginning. There's 20-30 some odd episodes to see and I can only assume plenty of 'cut' scenes to discover. However, if they do that, then they have to be dubbing the current episodes for the TV broadcast AND the original episodes for the DVDs and I'm not sure if they have the resources to do that. It has been alluded to on other forums that they would like to, but may not be able to. Confused So this all may just be a moot point.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Well, being a long shonen series, I wasn't really planning on adding another DVD extensive series to my list, BUT since Funimation has it now and it'll be uncut, I totally want to support them on this move, so I guess One Piece will be joining my shelves when they arrive.

I see the reasons behind the different options, but personally, like the majority, I'd rather them start the DVDs from the beginning. There's 20-30 some odd episodes to see and I can only assume plenty of 'cut' scenes to discover. However, if they do that, then they have to be dubbing the current episodes for the TV broadcast AND the original episodes for the DVDs and I'm not sure if they have the resources to do that. It has been alluded to on other forums that they would like to, but may not be able to. Confused So this all may just be a moot point.
Well if what I read in FUNi's PR is correct, they can do either . They will start dubbing the broadcast eps, starting at 144, first to get it on air, but can alternate between those and the DVD's to get the uncut first 143 eps out on the shelves as well. If they can do that with a professional output and not one that is bodged together in haste, I'm all for it. Mr. Heiskell himself asked for feedback to help decide, hence this poll.

[Edit] Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
An example of the beginning's original content before it was taken out is one of the most infamous edits ever.

Helmeppo puts a gun at spoiler[Coby's head]. 4kids made the gun into a hammer-type object that shouldn't be considered a weapon. Confused

I thought this was it?

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4