• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fans Confront Bandai Visual About Pricing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Although I'm not interested in puchasing Galaxy Angel Rune, I think it's a bad decision to price it the same as Japanese DVDs. I would rather wait for a later release. The only people who would buy it at that release are the Galaxy Angel fanbase, but an anime fan who just wants to try series randomly wouldn't fork around $50 for a liability, than rather buying two DVDs of something else.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Um... what attached recording?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:

You need flash installed.

-t
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Mmm...

If I wanted to get Japanese releases, I'd get japanese releases.

I'm not gonna pay 50 dlls for so little anime, even if is a series that I really wanted to see -_-
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually read about this through the AoD forums last night, and frankly, felt the grilling was deserved. If BV thought that their pricing structure could somehow churn out a profit, or even a breakeven situation (be it from reduced sales at greater return per DVD or whatnot), try again. As others have said, Gunbuster will somehow make it, but Galaxy Angel Rune (amongst the others)? Nope.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kyle Pope, who covered the event for Anime News Network said, "No one there was ever rude to Konno-san. However it was clear from Konno-san's expression and gestures that he was quite surprised by the intensity of feeling towards Bandai Visual's marketing decisions."

Konno-san was surprised? Hmmm. Obviously a certain company didn't do any market research here in the United States. Or even have a marketing survey done.

Or else his people decided that he should be a mushroom.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This pricing scheme is pretty ridiculous. I don't know how Bandai is planning to compete in the market with these sorts of prices without any significant extras.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:

You need flash installed.

Hmm. Apparently the flash player got blocked. oops.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
If you don't like the price, then just don't buy the DVDs.

Besides, if you wait, you can either get them used, discounted, or buy the inevitable boxset/thinpak.
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
The only people who would buy it at that release are the Galaxy Angel fanbase. . .

I myself am *part* of that fanbase and I'm not buying it. $50 for no dub and few eps = no deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
The only people who would buy it at that release are the Galaxy Angel fanbase. . .

I myself am *part* of that fanbase and I'm not buying it. $50 for no dub and few eps = no deal.

I was thinking that too. I'm a fan of the franchise, but there's no way I would pay R2 prices for a R1 disc on Galaxy Angel Rune.

I'm also a big fan of the Galaxy Angel dub, and do find it disappointing without a dub and at those prices.
Tumalu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The biggest deal-breaker for me is the lack of a dub. I can't say for sure whether or not I'd pay $50 for so little content otherwise, but I refuse to buy R1 DVD's unless they include both English and Japanese audio tracks - regardless of the price.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does it seem extremely odd for anyone to think that the Japanese market and the North American market can be treated the same? I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but shouldn't the differences be obvious? I mean, seriously, it's plainly contrary to common practice in Region 1 for anime to released in the manner Bandai Visual has chosen.

Perhaps they should consider the small but rather important point that the average Japanese anime buyer probably does not share the same mindset as the average North American anime buyer. The Japanese buyer is used to or at the very least resigned to paying a lot (something like $40+ I think) for one or two episodes, one language track, and probably no extras on disc. The North American buyer complains about the price of single volumes that are just over $20 bucks for four or five episodes, dual language tracks, and extras on disc.

Clearly, there is going to be a problem with trying to market the Japanse product to the North American market. I'm really shocked that someone didn't realize this before they came out with this strategy.

They could have at least made a dub. I doubt that alone would satisfy people, but it would certainly help to expand the number of potential buyers.

Also, does it seem just a tad off to anyone else that the we of the so-called "secondary market" get a better deal by far than the Japanese "primary market" does? Shouldn't the primary market get the best release while the secondary markets get the el cheapo specials? Confused
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the voice you hear that isn't mine or Kyle's (the one who brings attention to television broadcasters not airing subtitled content) is Karl Olson from Toon Zone. I believe the other voice is Geoduck from the AoD forums.

Of course, I think the entire thing is ridiculous. But my real fear is that, even if Bandai Visual folds (which I can almost certainly see happening), it won't be as simple as them leaving and letting us be forever... I really think that this could wind up damaging Bandai Entertainment as well, as well as all of the other BV titles floating around out there. Just like with Toei.

Also, I should point out that I didn't even REALIZE that Tatsunori was the president when I arrived at the panel a few minutes late. I thought he was just a rep when I spoke to him! I think this shows a great degree of arrogance on the part of the company to not only force feed their business strategy to a fanbase where even the hardest of hardcore (ie: the people at the panel) won't accept this proposal, but also send their own president to boast about it.

Frankly, I think this is a big problem with the industry in Japan in general, but I probably shouldn't really judge a market I'm not part of.
Geoduck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
For the record, the voice you hear that isn't mine or Kyle's (the one who brings attention to television broadcasters not airing subtitled content) is Karl Olson from Toon Zone. I believe the other voice is Geoduck from the AoD forums.

Yes, you can hear me on the recording as the first one to mention the lack of a dub in BV-USA's releases.

I saw that Kyle was recording the panel, but I thought it was going to be for his own notes. I didn't think he'd actually post it. Very Happy

Of course, you don't get the full flavor of the panel until you see the one powerpoint slide that read (and I quote):

We know everything
about
ANIME FAN WANTS
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8