• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainulf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hayate the Combat Butler (TV)

I'm quite surprised that no one opened a topic for this anime yet (i did a search). There's many people already rated it. Well, anyway, I've watched the latest episodes and it was soo hilarious. Especially the first joke where spoiler[Santa said that he doesn't give him a present because he's poor]. Like seriously man, I was eating my dinner while watching that part Anime hyper lol. Well, the first 3 episodes are quite entertaining episode 4 should be the introduction to new characters. I look forward for it.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I love this show too. I was watching it with my friends nephew and when Santa said that, then said "...work hard to be a worthy citizen..........but even then I won't give you presents." I spat up my Mt. Dew and nephew fell out of his rolling chair laughing. That was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
This series is great. I've watched the first two episodes and it's absolutely side-splitting. I really like the narrator, as he really adds a nice element of humor to the story, as does how the series pokes fun at broadcast censorship. I laughed so hard when the narrator went over the censorship thing the first time. Plus that little image is just too funny.

The humor involving Santa is hilarious. My brother and I couldn't stop laughing at the beginning. Especially when spoiler[Hayate gave Santa-san a knuckle sandwich!] I nearly fell over laughing when that happened.

Finally, there's spoiler["Mask the Money-san."] It's just so silly and cheesy that I couldn't help but laugh at that name and the terrible disguise.

I look forward to watching episode 3 and beyond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
You're saying... the anime has already started? How could I missed that one! The manga is awesome, I really need to go watch the show (I can't believe I didn't check when it was due). By the way, is there someone who rode the original work and watched this adaptation can tell me how it's fairing, as early has now?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
By the way, is there someone who rode the original work and watched this adaptation can tell me how it's fairing, as early has now?

So far I prefer the manga. The anime is a good adaptation but I find the jokes don't work so well on me a second time. I've seen the first two episodes so far and while it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, I'm still going to continue watching (even though I'm trying to follow way too many shows right now).

Jedi General wrote:
Finally, there's spoilerspoiler["Mask the Money-san."] It's just so silly and cheesy that I couldn't help but laugh at that name and the terrible disguise.

I thought that was absolutely hilarious. It was one of the few things that I really laughed out loud at. The randomness of it all is just so great.

Last edited by digitalkikka on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Looking at the seiyuu list, I'm quite surprised they gave Hayate a feminine voice, I always imagine him having Hino Satoshi's voice when I was reading the manga.

I like their choice of seiyuu for Nagi and Maria, much better than what I've imagined them having Surprised so I should from now on imagine Nagi having Shana's voice from Shakugan no Shana and Maria having Mikihara's voice from Full Metal Panic

Since I'm already following the manga, I need to know to which volume the anime will cover before watching it ; from past experiences it's not fun going through chapters that you already watched animated.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few new anime that has caught my attention. Quite amusing indeed. Not groundbreaking or exceptionally spectacular, but it definitely accomplishes what a good anime should do: entertain me.

I also like the voice actor choices. The narrator absolutely cracks me up, and contrasts enormously to the previous anime narrator I experienced. Which was the narrator from The Third, btw...I think he was one of the main reasons I dropped that show. Good narrators certainly are a precious commodity.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well this series furthers the massive number of casts Rie Kugimiya already has this year.

I watched two episodes, and liked the first episode much more than the second, because I wasn't expecting something like this, loved the first encounter between Hayate and Nagi and the comedic misinterpretation of the kidnapping threat, and the ambiguity presented by the final events in the episode. The series has a lot of potential, but if it starts getting episodic I wouldn't think twice about dropping the series and watching other stuff.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Finally, there's spoilerspoiler["Mask the Money-san."] It's just so silly and cheesy that I couldn't help but laugh at that name and the terrible disguise.

I thought that was absolutely hilarious. It was one of the few things that I really laughed out loud at. The randomness of it all is just so great.

Awww. you mutilated my spoiler tag. Laughing Anyway, I agree. It's just so random that it always seems to throw something in I totally did not expect. I look forward to watching episode 4, which just came out.

[EDIT: Since the original quote was fixed, I fixed yours as well. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone catch the spoiler[Black Lagoon reference] in Episode 1? I swear I never saw that in the manga...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Really? I didn't catch that. Although, I haven't seen that much of spoiler[Black Lagoon], so missing that isn't beyond me.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Anyone catch the spoiler[Black Lagoon reference] in Episode 1? I swear I never saw that in the manga...

Ya, when he was on the boat and was attacked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Pretty sure that was episode 2...there were like 3 different references in that one sequence, lol.
Rainulf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hayate the Combat Butler is has a parody type of anime. It's not only Black Lagoon, they've immitated like 5 animes every episode (if you noticed it that is.. =P ). On episode 4, they mentioned animes like spoiler[Pikachu from Pokémon, Snake and the cardboard box from Metal Gear Solid, Saint Seiya, a Vana’diel Final Fantasy XI reference, Saitou Hajime from Rurouni Kenshin, various Gundam references including Yukiji having a Newtype reaction (with that special noise and all)]…and I’m sure I missed a lot of stuff too. It's really a fun to watch anime because it's very different from other animes. And I prefer watching the anime than reading the manga, because they delivered the story better in the anime version (well, on my opinion that is)
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
there indeed were quite a lot of references to other anime series, but nothing beats the one in episode 3 spoiler[Where Katsura, the elder sister made the Saito Gatotsu reference from Kenshin... Aku Soku Zan].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5