• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Princess (aka Princess Ressurection).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess Resurrection or as subbers are calling this Monster Princess

This story is based off a Manga by the same name, and is a Madhouse studios work. With the quality of work Madhouse has done as of late I felt compelled to check this series out

Now as always spoilers for the first episodes so watch yourself.

Opening theme reminded me a little bit of Death Note second opening with it's harder (then normal) melodies, wasn't really my thing but it's not like I couldn't stand it. I'll probably skip it in future episodes like most things I watch

Well animation certainly looks pretty basic and simple, it's almost as if Madhouse went in the opposite direction of Claymore. And what interesting are backgrounds which really look like there out of the old children books with their simple colors and looks.

What is with Japan and maid uniforms, I just don't get it, but then again the sam could be said about us and blonde's.....

Okay I've got to say it bugs me every time miss maid stands straight her boobs bounce up and down as if there was someone moving them up and down......I called it the dead or alive effect.

And what's with the Pokemon talking, huga? As long as there isn't a doll that yells psyduck, I'll be alright. But it's still a bit annoying.

Wow this show is weird, but I guess I should of expected when people are being brought back to life, and dolls that can pick up trees....and crazy looking wolfs that talk.

I guess using humans as a shield while you stab a wolf in the head is alright in this world. Oh no this better not be one of those fetish type shows where the guy is the "slave" instead of the girl. It looks like it might be, ohh no.....Madhouse after I praised you for being the company this is how your going to act?

Ending Song: Typical J-pop stuff all the visuals were pretty sweet with all the hooks, and then the next moment a shot of something quite wrong.

Verdict: Foreman has spoke this series is beyond weird, and I am not digging it. For a series with a girl and a chainsaw I don't know what went so wrong....maybe it will turn around but I just don't have time for this.

[EDIT: Seeing as how the title actually translates to "Monster Princess," I've decided to rename the thread for that purpose and to preserve aesthetics. I'm guessing whoever licensed the manga decided to rename it, but whatever, I'll just stick to the original name like the fansubbers Razz. -TK]
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
"Wow this is pretty weird" was the first thing I said, it deffinatly caught me off guard. The story is semi interesting, and the characters are strange. I have to agree that the animation reminds me of the simple and basic animation from childrens books. Though through all of this I found it some what entertaining, it must have been the doll...HUGA!!! I don't know I suppose I will still be watching it...but I have so much already on my plate.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Interestingly to note is that the manga of which this is based on is supposed to be extremely bloody and violent (someone posted scanlations of these at some forum). Obviously the manga readers were not happy of this because Madhouse totally toned it down by using some excuse of "releasing some energy" a.k.a. there's no blood involved. Supposedly they've done that because the show is broadcasted on a channel where they don't allow that type of stuff.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Interestingly to note is that the manga of which this is based on is supposed to be extremely bloody and violent (someone posted scanlations of these at some forum). Obviously the manga readers were not happy of this because Madhouse totally toned it down

Seriously the anime being tone down is a major bummer, I personally wanted to see this show based off this picture from the manga.

If that doesn't make you want to watch the anime I don't know what will.....and seeing as how the anime went the exact opposite way with basically no blood it's quite disappointing.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Interestingly to note is that the manga of which this is based on is supposed to be extremely bloody and violent (someone posted scanlations of these at some forum). Obviously the manga readers were not happy of this because Madhouse totally toned it down

Seriously the anime being tone down is a major bummer, I personally wanted to see this show based off this picture from the manga.

If that doesn't make you want to watch the anime I don't know what will.....and seeing as how the anime went the exact opposite way with basically no blood it's quite disappointing.

Word on that...big disappointment, yet I will probably keep watching,...what can I say I am easly pleased. Embarassed Going to catch episode 2 later tonight.

Last edited by omar235 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Word on that...big disappointment, yet I will probably keep watching,...what can I sy I am easly pleased. Embarassed Going to catch episode 2 later tonight.

Really are you watching it just because you want to watch....because your a fan of the manga or just because you want to see if this story gets better. Even I who am pretty easy going on my anime (the number of Gonzo shows that I've stuck with is staggering) but this show just made me mad that I didn't see some good ole fashion chain saw fun.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I am not a fan of the manga but I don't think it is that bad so I will keep watching and I am hoping it gets better...alot better. Again I guess I am just easily pleased...
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Even I who am pretty easy going on my anime (the number of Gonzo shows that I've stuck with is staggering) but this show just made me mad that I didn't see some good ole fashion chain saw fun.

Heh, I actually liked the first episode. It was so funny and weird- I was completely entertained. The animation was lacking but it had quite a few hilarious moments and I liked the characters a lot. I wasn't bothered that it's toned down since many adaptations are. I'm going to just enjoy the show for what it is and not compare it to the manga.

I thought the OP and ED songs were decent, not memorable, but not something I'd skip through. I give it extra points for having such a strange ED animation. I have episode 2 and I'll probably watch it tomorrow (or later today), so it looks like I'll be following this one.

omar235 wrote:
Again I guess I am just easily pleased...

I am too only I like to pretend I'm just optimistic Wink .
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Based off the first ep alone, i thought it was kinda crap. The designs and plot were very generic, it seemed like the sort of anime a director might get out of a gatchapon machine or something. I did enjoy the pokemaid, but that's about it. Now MURDER Princess, that's a show worth watching. Much more creative designs, cleaner animation, better all around. There's a lot better stuff to watch coming out of this season though.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I really like the ending video to this show. I LOVE it, in fact I'm not sure why it's not on my myspace yet, I'll change that in a few days or so. That ending was awesome.

For the show though, Hime reminded me, looks wise, of Murder Princess and thought "Monster Princess vs Murder Princess, HEAVEN or HELL, LET's ROCK!!" but Murder Princess is good. I didn't really like this 1st episode very much. I love the Pokemaid (good one Ohoni) she was funny and wasn't funny at the same time. My least likeable character though is the sister....her boobs are huge and so is her patience, but she's annoying.

"DESTROYED"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
As for episode 2, I don't know I am telling you it must be because I am easily pleased...really I didn't think it was that bad it was pretty mindless fun...though not having the gore really is ruining the series for me..but hey the next episode has the werewolf girl coming into play...I am personally waiting for the vampire girl...you know vampire characters always bring in some fun and action. Very Happy
He-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I guess using humans as a shield while you stab a wolf in the head is alright in this world. Oh no this better not be one of those fetish type shows where the guy is the "slave" instead of the girl. It looks like it might be, ohh no.....Madhouse after I praised you for being the company this is how your going to act?

This is one of the reasons I am finding the show annoying right now. I am having a hard time liking it. Plus, I hate how the boy is so whimpy in it.

How many episodes is this supposed to be?
Jarius

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Based off the first ep alone, i thought it was kinda crap. The designs and plot were very generic, it seemed like the sort of anime a director might get out of a gatchapon machine or something. I did enjoy the pokemaid, but that's about it. Now MURDER Princess, that's a show worth watching. Much more creative designs, cleaner animation, better all around. There's a lot better stuff to watch coming out of this season though.

I totally agree. Murder princess is much much more better then monster princess which is weird is almost every sense and u want blood u definately want murder princess since it has tons of it at least foe the first epsiode just too bad that its releases are quite slow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1