• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bokurano (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote

Bokurano (TV)

Genres: drama, horror, psychological, science fiction
Themes: death, evil being, mecha, parallel universe, real robot, super robot

Plot Summary: During a summer camp, 15 children, 8 males and 7 females, find a grotto by the sea. Deep within they discover working computers and some electronic equipment, and later the owner, a man called Kokopelli. Kokopelli claimed to be a programmer working on a brand new game, in which a large robot has to defend the Earth against fifteen alien invasions. He persuades the children to test the game and sign a contract. All but one of them signs; barely a moment later they mysteriously awaken on the shore believing what happened was just a dream.
----------------------------------

Bokurano is based off a manga of the same name by Mohiro Kitohthat started in 2003, it's being animated by Gonzo with Hiroyuki Morita directing. Most of you know Hiroyuki from the Ghibli film The Cat Returns.

As always folks beware of spoilers for the first episode and enjoy.

Opening theme has some slick visuals with that giant robot at the forefront and then the backgrounds there was a particular shot at night time where you could see lights from across the river....beautiful reminds me of Gatsby. As for the song itself, I don't know what exactly it is about the way the song unfolds but it's so calming and quite elegant.

I love the idea of a child's innocent and how there really is a fine line to where your overprotecting your children compared to letting them live there lives. The animation and characters design are quite simple and remind me of your everyday Joe Schmo.

For the next few minutes were introduced to the large cast of characters and their individuals quirks, and sure there more to them, and more will be unveiled as this show progresses. The creepy old dude bugs me, hesitation sounds like someone who's trying lure a kid into their car with "Candy".

I like the static that went on screen just before all the kids woke up, also 500 Meters!? I do both a question mark and exclamation point because that's crazy how tall that thing is, and a question mark because my public school education didn't teach me no stinky metric system.....I had to use google to find out that it's about 1640 feet. I'm so ashamed that I can't do simple math without a calculator, darn you Public School System!

When I heard the part how people are a pawn of the game I was thinking about Gantz (another Gonzo show) and how the people are basically used to fight. For being a studio Gonzo show who's now for it's 3D animation the robots and the other spider mech looked pretty weak. I really hope in coming episodes things look better, I guess Gonzo blew their budget this season of Romeo X Juliet.....let's hope not.

An interesting twist where when you destroy the other robots it's looks like your also killing someone else who's playing the game.

Ending theme: Not really doing it for me, and also the lack of any animation other then the characters appearing every so often really hurts.

Verdict: Foremen has rules that there is a hung jury, I can't decide if I am completely bored by this series or that I can't wait for the next episode to come out. I think what I am going to do is wait a little bit and then try to watch the 2-3 episodes back to back and see if I catch a spark.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the anime yet, but I'm a big fan of the manga. It certainly does have a Gantz flavor to it, albeit less...eh...extreme? Much more reflective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
I really like the first episode of this. However I'm a little confused.

All the kids signed themselves up to protect the world unknowingly, except the 4th grader, 15 people are needed, but only 14 accepted. However when the static popped up and went back, the 4th grade girl was included in this and was also in the mech AND has her own chair. SO is she in on it or just there to get beat up by her brother?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

"Uninstall" is the title of its opening theme, not part or translation of its title.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
All the kids signed themselves up to protect the world unknowingly, except the 4th grader, 15 people are needed, but only 14 accepted. However when the static popped up and went back, the 4th grade girl was included in this and was also in the mech AND has her own chair. SO is she in on it or just there to get beat up by her brother?

It's a major spoiler; you'll learn what's going on in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

"Uninstall" is the title of its opening theme, not part or translation of its title.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Alright then, NOBODY say!!!, I really like this over story so nobody say, even with spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

What dormcat said. The title is just Bokurano (literally, "Our").

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Alright then, NOBODY say!!!, I really like this over story so nobody say, even with spoiler tags.

Well, she doesn't have her own chair, as you will see.

And let me just caution you: The manga that this anime is based on is by Kitoh Morihiru, who created Narutaru. This story is every bit as disturbing and revolting as that was. Be warned.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monumension

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
And let me just caution you: The manga that this anime is based on is by Kitoh Morihiru, who created Narutaru. This story is every bit as disturbing and revolting as that was. Be warned.

Truer word were never spoken. It's easy to get tricked by the cute character designs and the fact that the protagonists are all children (I certainly was!). Unless you're under the delusion that disturbing = gory you'll have a truly harrowing ride.

Bokurano is nonetheless a fantastic story, clearly the best manga I read last year and I hope the anime lives up to it. It has yet to be concluded so let's pray Gonzo won't amputate the ending like they did with Gantz.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
Bokurano is nonetheless a fantastic story, clearly the best manga I read last year and I hope the anime lives up to it. It has yet to be concluded so let's pray Gonzo won't amputate the ending like they did with Gantz.

Oh the people I've talked to (who read scanlation) there in love with this series, I can only hope that there plenty of material to animate. We all know Gonzo track record when they run out things to animate, but I am hoping for the best. As for Gantz even with Gonzo going crazy at end of that series, the manga also did in later volumes; so it's not like we missed some great big payoff.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I've heard and read so many comments like these about Narutaru that I'm starting to regret not watching past the first episode when I had the chance. For that reason I'm going to stick with this, although it seems fairly innocent so far (two episodes). The very end of episode 2 was certainly a shock. Shocked

I'm liking it so far. My only real gripe is introducing 15 characters all at once; it's going to be hell for me trying to place names, voices and personalities with faces for a while (did I hear Mamiko Noto? I think I did!) and for now I really only know the kids as "the mean, detached older brother" and "that one girl who is voiced by Mamiko Noto." spoiler[And I only barely got to know soccer boy before he unexpectedly died.] Oh well. I can see why they would be introduced this way, though. The kids mention that they don't even know each other all that well, so perhaps the viewer is supposed to be treated to that same feeling of initial confusion when trying to familiarize themselves with a large group of casual acquaintances.

I can't say I'm too fond of the 3D animation at this point. It's like the animators use 3D as an excuse to make everything all slow-moving and floaty, which is kind of my main gripe with Gonzo as a whole. The 2D animation is similarly underwhelming--nothing special. I love the music, though, and the story looks like it could turn into something great. I'm still kind of reeling from episode 2's ending, and looking forward to more unexpected moments like that.

Quote:
I like the static that went on screen just before all the kids woke up, also 500 Meters!? I do both a question mark and exclamation point because that's crazy how tall that thing is, and a question mark because my public school education didn't teach me no stinky metric system...

It's roughly the same hieght as Taipei 101, which is the world's architecturally tallest building (the Sears Tower just has a longer antenna). In comparison, the Evas are only 40 meters high, the original Gundam and Mazinger Z are both a mere 18 meters high. The original Macross, however, is bigger; untransformed, it's 1,210 meters long. It would be interesting to see a height comparison for all mechs in every mecha/giant robot shows ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Monumension wrote:

Oh the people I've talked to (who read scanlation) there in love with this series, I can only hope that there plenty of material to animate. We all know Gonzo track record when they run out things to animate, but I am hoping for the best. As for Gantz even with Gonzo going crazy at end of that series, the manga also did in later volumes; so it's not like we missed some great big payoff.

The manga didn't go downhill, it only improved from the point where the anime deviated. It's still brilliant. You did indeed miss a great payoff.

I'm going to start watching the Bokurano anime soon enough. I hope it can live up to the manga, which is pretty amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I can't say I'm too fond of the 3D animation at this point. It's like the animators use 3D as an excuse to make everything all slow-moving and floaty, which is kind of my main gripe with Gonzo as a whole. The 2D animation is similarly underwhelming--nothing special. I love the music, though, and the story looks like it could turn into something great. I'm still kind of reeling from episode 2's ending, and looking forward to more unexpected moments like that.

That basically my feeling about the use of 3D, it really looks like there wasn't a whole lot effort put into it, considering past Gonzo shows it's quite disappointing.

Quote:
The manga didn't go downhill, it only improved from the point where the anime deviated. It's still brilliant. You did indeed miss a great payoff.

I felt the manga jump the shark a bit, but it's enjoyable. I think that it's one of those case where we have such high expectancy for something it's nearly impossible for anything to fulfill them. But then again maybe Phase two will turn it around who knows I certainly hope so.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first 2 episodes, and enjoying it so far, in spite of the 3D animation - mixing 2D and 3D always looks kinda poor to me.

The ending of episode 2 didn't surprise me too much, due to the manga spoilers that seem to have popped up all over the web. Oh well. Was it just me, or were their reactions a little... off? They didn't really seem that shocked.

Oh, and have they explained yet why 15 kids who don't seem to know/like each other all that much are hanging around together?

And who the hell agrees to play a "game" with some mysterious guy they just met living in a cave? Honestly...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
The ending of episode 2 didn't surprise me too much, due to the manga spoilers that seem to have popped up all over the web. Oh well. Was it just me, or were their reactions a little... off? They didn't really seem that shocked.

They're children, in a situation that is so weird that it seems unreal. This probably insulates them from the emotional impact, to a certain extent.

Ramadahl wrote:
Oh, and have they explained yet why 15 kids who don't seem to know/like each other all that much are hanging around together?

School. First episode. Right away.

Ramadahl wrote:
And who the hell agrees to play a "game" with some mysterious guy they just met living in a cave? Honestly...

"Go on! I dare you!" Works every time.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rullegardin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
i just LOVE the mood in this show, when is ep airing?
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:

School. First episode. Right away.

Thanks, can't believe I missed that. Anime hyper . Well, I'm an idiot.

abunai wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:

"Go on! I dare you!" Works every time.

I can understand why, but it doesn't mean they didn't all earn some stupid points for doing it. Especially with someone as suspicious as "Err... um... Kokopelli."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4