Forum - View topic
The Spring 2007 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3674

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all of Moonlight Lady and even that doesn't help in comprehending Touka Gettan. Though I'm like 3 episodes in, and it does show signs of the storyline going backwards (some people predicted that may change half way). This series does require a ridiculous amount of patience. Of course I'm still watching it because Carnelian's character designs are smokin' HOT (especially Touka's mom)!!! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Most of the shows that I've currently seen I would agree with the reviews above, as for Koutetsu Sangokushi; I am a bit concerned about the Shonen ai element....I mean I can't get enough Romance of three Kingdoms but this show just feels so bland. It's like getting the McDonald's coffee and not ordering the premium $4 coffee and settling for value menu coffee....you should like it, it's coffee but your slightly worried that it's the same batch from last night.

Also as for Guardian of the Sacred Spirit I've been trying to find this show and figured no one picked it up....I'm going to have to some more searching, I mean Production I.G. sign me up!


Last edited by Deltakiral on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 279
Location: Georgia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good season. Most of the worth while shows are mecha, which I hate but there was still a few to add to my want to see list. Hopefully everything i want to see will be licensed by the time I get to them. I plan to check out El Cazador de la Bruja fansubs because I'll check out anything from the makers of NOIR, but I didn't like Madlax so I won't hold out much hope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Reikon



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I find the placement of Darker than Black and Touka Gettan next to each other pretty funny. One is praised for its mysteriousness and confusion while the other is criticized for it.

Anyways, I've only tried watching two of this season's anime so far, Hayate and Lucky Star, both of which I enjoyed the manga version of much more. However, at least the Hayate anime is still good. The Lucky Star one just drags on and on about jokes that lasted maybe 3-4 strips in the manga. They also lack some of the more quirky otaku jokes Konata makes, which were some of the most enjoyable moments to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luminesse



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, there are a lot of good shows I want to check out this season...so far I've seen Claymore, Darker than Black, Sola and Gurren Lagann....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omar235



Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 1571
Location: Florida, Jacksonvile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course I'm still watching it because Carnelian's character designs are smokin' HOT (especially Touka's mom)!!! Cool


Heh thats one of the reasons I am still watching. Very Happy

I also have seen Moonlight Lady and...well this still is extreamly confusing, eh understood bits and pieces but really I am at a loss, I am only 2 episodes in myself but apparently the third episode doesn't bring much too light either. I was going to start a thread about this series...but I think I need to actually understand it a bit more before I start talking about it. Anime smile + sweatdrop I wonder if Iwatch2muchanime can make heads or tails of this series...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3674

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Also as for Guardian of the Sacred Spirit I've been trying to find this show and figured no one picked it up....I'm going to have to some more searching, I mean Production I.G. sign me up!


Good luck finding it because it's already pre-licensed by Geneon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 279
Location: Georgia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

Also as for Guardian of the Sacred Spirit I've been trying to find this show and figured no one picked it up....I'm going to have to some more searching, I mean Production I.G. sign me up!


Good luck finding it because it's already pre-licensed by Geneon.


Great! One show down 4 more to go. If only more shows were prelicensed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
craziplaya21



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Guardian of the Spirit ep1 and ep2 fansubbed so far. i like it very much. can't wait til more gets released <3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undeadben



Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 1212
Location: West Texas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
As always another good job for the new season reviews, thank you all.

Based on the quasi reviews I'm actually interested in Touka Gettan. I haven't been confused to hell in a while, why not? I'll give it a couple of episodes if it doesn't find a way to fill that confusion then it probably won't be worth finishing, but I'll give it a try.

I've caught the first episode of sola and I have to agree with the review, nothing really impressive except for the stuff at the end, which I still haven't decided if it is enough for me to keep watching or not yet. Although I'll probably watch at least a couple more before giving up on it anyway.

Romeo X Juliet again, ugh! Shakespeare's story that if written today would be no better than a dime store paper back novel, and now its an anime by Gonzo. A generic story altered to be even more generic done by a company who does a lot of generic dialogue and character designs, all done just to show us show off their visual effects prowess? No thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime



Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Posts: 1291

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course I'm still watching it because Carnelian's character designs are smokin' HOT (especially Touka's mom)!!! Cool


Heh thats one of the reasons I am still watching. Very Happy

I also have seen Moonlight Lady and...well this still is extreamly confusing, eh understood bits and pieces but really I am at a loss, I am only 2 episodes in myself but apparently the third episode doesn't bring much too light either. I was going to start a thread about this series...but I think I need to actually understand it a bit more before I start talking about it. Anime smile + sweatdrop I wonder if Iwatch2muchanime can make heads or tails of this series...


Actually I'm a tad out of it (more like exactly what this little preview said, "What the F*CK did I just watch, but MAN that was beutiful....) but I think I'm getting some of it. THINK I am.

Touka I believe is the spirit of a boy Touka trapped in a girls body......but she WAS a boy in the past which is what Mama (Yumiko) was dreaming about in ep. 1, but because of that other universe/dream world, which captures thoughts? Touka was absorbed into a girl or something and now he/she is falling in love with someone else in her body, while Mama is completely out of it because of what happened, Yuriko, her little split personality, is maybe someone who'd dead and taken over? maybe that girl that was shot? Momoka, the HOT maid, who was with Mama to help her stablize I think, is also possibly the lover of Touka which answers the other love interest, although she merged with Touka? Haruhiko, that girl with the wiener in her mouth at the end of ep. 1, is in the alternate reality I think and Touka misses her.........so he/she warps out to meet a greet her. And I haven't seen 3 yet so............I GOT NOTHING.

Right, right, I'm watching every show that was on this list except the one that was said to be a better hentai.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
kei-clone



Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Location: in your house

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel that some of these reviews attack the genre more than the quality of the series themselves. Look at the sola and Nagasarete Airantou reviews. It seems that there's more focus into linking sola to H-game adaptations (and then implying that it has to be bad), and more focus into how Nagasarete is too much like another harem.

While the points presented may be true, rather than attacking the genre I'd like to know why the reviewer did or did not like the show. It just seems at this point that ANN thinks anything that can be considered "pandering towards moe fanboys" cannot have quality (but Haruhi is an exception or something >_>)

It's good to see not all of these reviews demonstrate this bias though (perhaps reflected by a more objective author?), such as the one on Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo. That one seemed like a more objective critique on what failed in the anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LittleHobbit13



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Romeo X Juliet again, ugh! Shakespeare's story that if written today would be no better than a dime store paper back novel, and now its an anime by Gonzo. A generic story altered to be even more generic done by a company who does a lot of generic dialogue and character designs, all done just to show us show off their visual effects prowess? No thanks!
You say that because you probaby haven't watched it yet. I love this series so much that I've even watched the raws, even though my Japanese isn't quite good enough for that. If this were the version that we got to study in school, I would have been totally more into it. At least give at a chance before you start bashing it just based on your previous experiences with the story. The art and music are fantastic (I keep playing the opening over and over again, lol), and the action and drama scenes are really good. They've even managed to keep the over-dramatic and cheese-scenes pretty much out. Seriously, give this show a chance!

Anyways, I've watched about half of the series on that list so far, and except for Touka Gettan, I thought they were all really great. I don't know why Nagasarete got bashed like that, because it's a really funny series. I mean, it's not breaking barriers or sporting anything completely new and different, but the show as itself is pretty good. My current favorites from that list right now (that I've seen) are Romeo x Juliet, Hayate no Gotoku, Bokurano, and Darker than BLACK. I really want to set aside some time to watch Seirei no Moribito and Heroic Age, but we'll see how that goes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zalas



Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Briana Lawrence wrote:
But the game is nothing to sneeze at, it did win a number of awards, including the top prize at the Gal Game Awards. It works as a hentai game because there's one guy and a hoard of girls he can choose from, and it's a formula that's worked in the past.

Most eroge follow that formula, but that's not what gives them the high ratings. Highly rated eroge are usually ones that feature in-depth plot/character development, which is usually the first thing to go when you try to cram it into a short animated series.
Briana Lawrence wrote:
This would've worked a lot better as an OAV that kept the sex in, since clearly this story works as a straight-up hentai. As it is, however, this thing will probably fail.

That's the problem with this adaptation. They essentially followed the H-OVA formula, but without the sex part. A condensed and self-contained story about each heroine doesn't matter too much to the people who want to watch H-OVAs for the sex, which is why they sell. However, it makes the story abrupt and the characters flat, and that is just not good enough for an actual show. Together with some really low-budget art, and you have the reasons why Japanese otaku, including the ones who liked the game, are complaining about this show as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
minakichan



Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
YES. ThankyouthankyouTHANK YOU for this.
This season is HUGE and I got really stuck. I don't think I've ever had an interest in so many titles.

I'm definitely going to check out Claymore and Gigantic Formula, then maybe Seirei no Moribito, and possibly Bokurano (on top of RxJ and Hayate, which I was already on). Wooooow, I don't know if I can handle this Anime hyper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group