• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2007 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, this would be the first season in like forever that I would watch more than three anime in a season (I'm a manga fan more than anime fan anyway).

So far, the only anime that I watch so far was Koutetsu Sangokushi, which will always be in my heart for it's EPIC OP sequence. Rarely I lose my mind on something like that. But I do agree with the reviewer on Episode 1, the pacing is kinda uneven. But after watching Episode 2, it does gain its footing and going off an interesting start, but then again the fact I didn't read The Romance of the Three Kingdoms might influence that (but then again, I tend not to like alot of book version in different mediums). But I'm sticking with this anime for the time being. As long it doesn't too overdramatic, I predict this anime will be at least worth watching (and hopefully they deliever something from the OP, it'll kill me if it doesn't).

Other anime I will be watching is Hitohira (cute schoolgirl anime with some yuri subtext is enough to lure me even if might be copypasta), Darker than Black, Gurren, Romeo x Juliet and Seirei no Moribito.

Last edited by ArielTsuki on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Siing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote
Ehhh???

So am i the only one which isnt confused with Touka Gettan??? I'll admit, watching the first ep i was completly WTF!?!?! (i even made a rather long wtf list of thingys goin on in the ep -.-) and i was strugling to get throught the first half, and when i thought it was nearly finished, the second half came >,> .... but after the ep finished, i actually.... liked it???? O_O the last 3rd of the ep made me kinda like it, and the ED credits i love, and I've watched it over and over again =p.
Watching the 2nd ep was still a bit weird, but i knew what was going on, it actually made sense -.-, and finishing the 2nd ep i was certain, i really liked the series. The 3rd ep just defined that even more, and now its one of my top (along with Bokurano and Sola) animes of the spring season. Im no longer confused at all, and watching the 1st ep to review a bit, i figured out alot of things, and it all made sence.... hehehe

[/i]
Himalayus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
kei-clone wrote:
I'm not saying the reviewer has to be biased towards any genre, or "conform to any opinion". I'm just saying that at the very least they should not be biased against it. From what the review sounded like it certainly seemed like he was but I may be wrong.

One thing is for sure though. I don't see how any reader could figure out they would like a show given a negative review without knowing the reviewer's tastes. A description like "failed jokes" can't really be interpreted in any other way but bad.

The point is the same as my first post, which may not have been read since I seem to be thought of as another poster who has been advocating Lucky Star (I think I know who). The point is that reviews should be made about the show itself, not how bad the genre it belongs to or how "similar" it is to other shows.

I wasn't going to weigh in on this at first, but this is something of a pet peeve of mine so...

I take it from your post (and you’re free to correct me if I’m wrong) that you are in the “reviews shouldn’t compare shows together” camp of review readers. Quite frankly this is a stance that I’ve never been able to comprehend. Comparison is the very essence of our understanding of the world. How can you know what is “good” or “bad” anime (or even what you like and don’t like) without reference to anime that you’ve watched previously? Similarly, a reader can’t know my concept of “good” and “bad” anime without reference to things that I’ve watched previously. You mention how you can’t know whether you might like something that a reviewer panned without reference to the reviewer’s tastes. You are exactly right. Which is why comparisons to other shows are necessary. In reference to the Lucky Star preview (which I must assume you are referring to as it is to my knowledge the only preview that mentions both moe and “failed jokes”) I provided both context for my own tastes as pertaining to shows with similar goals that I believed to be successful (Azumanga Daioh and Strawberry Marshmallow) and also a clear explanation of why I didn’t find the jokes funny (I believe I said that they “aim for gently humorous but instead miss and fall into the Bottomless Swamp of Failed Quirkiness,” followed by an in-depth description of one particular joke that failed for me). I believe that I provided more than enough information for readers to decide on their own whether or not the show is for them. On that front (and I must say, I’m surprised this hasn’t been brought up here) my Nagasare Airantou preview is the bigger offender. The only context I provided in that one was to say that the premise really says it all (which in my case was a very, very bad thing).

For the record, I haven’t anything against any particular genre of anime. Genres are simply structures of expectations that creators can use to manipulate audiences in different ways. Whether that manipulation is good or bad depends entirely on the creators. Granted, certain genres have lower success rates than others (the harem genre comes to mind), but that just means that you have to have a high tolerance for poor examples of the genre in order to get to the good stuff. Either that, or a trusted reviewer who is willing to slog through the bad stuff in your stead in order to point you towards the good stuff.

And to the person who called for my immediate retirement: I’m wounded sir, wounded. Do you have any idea how much it costs to hire a good psychotherapist these days?
raithnor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, there wasn't really anythng that caught my interest in the article. However, I have somewhat quirky tastes in anime anyways. That being said, articles like this are good because it keeps the non-DLing crowd "in the loop". This way I know something about a series when I see the title at a convention either in a video room or industry panel.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I want to second the outrage over the omission of Oh! Edo Rocket. Was under my radar despite the director and writer's impressive resumes, but has completely won me over, and is easily the best show of the season, even edging out Seirei no Moribito and Gurren Lagann.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
I want to second the outrage over the omission of Oh! Edo Rocket. Was under my radar despite the director and writer's impressive resumes, but has completely won me over, and is easily the best show of the season, even edging out Seirei no Moribito and Gurren Lagann.

Um, you do realize that timely availability of fansubs has a lot do to with what does and doesn't get covered, right? That one just wasn't available on time that I could find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
I want to second the outrage over the omission of Oh! Edo Rocket. Was under my radar despite the director and writer's impressive resumes

Umm well perhaps you should read the very top of the Preview Guide.

Quote:
Also, bear in mind that there are literally a ton of new shows and we simply don't have the time (or the patience or the sanity) to watch every last one, so what's included here are highlights, lowlights and a few inbetweens

They also didn't include Skull Man, but it hasn't aired yet what you have them do? Review a show that they don't understand and can't get?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Gigantic Formula. Now I feel forced to. Gah. Maybe I just want more of those facial expressions from Kamichu!.

Carlo Santos wrote:
It'd be nice if [Moonlight Mile] had a stronger plot direction—the first episode tends to meander from scene to scene—but that should be corrected in the following episodes, as there's only one direction for Gorou to go: up, up, into the stratosphere of great sci-fi anime.

I've only watched up to the fifth episode, but I think that there's a mix of quality all around for Moonlight Mile. The first really grabbed for some reason, the second did a good job as well in spite of its execution with certain events, but the third and fourth leaves me with shrugging shoulders. The fifth piqued my interest a bit again, and where the anime is currently at I do hope that it goes up in quality along with Goro's journey (pun pathetically intended).

The opening kicks serious ass, though. A song with no lyrics for the opening theme? What a concept in this day and age of gawd-awful crappy J-pop lyrics about nonsensical relationships.

Theron Martin wrote:
The one potential weak point is a minor propensity for light-hearted goofiness, but the original Romeo and Juliet did have its playful moments, too, so that can be forgiven if the rest is done right.

I'm still baffled at the inclusion of the various characters from Shakespeare's other plays... as well as a cameo from the man himself. Oh "Whilliam"!

Usually I'd say you're far too in love with that type of set up, Key, but... well, I don't know how I quite feel about Romeo x Juliet. I don't care for the original (Why oh why couldn't have Gonzo done Hamlet?) since it's obviously overblown and more than a few other issues I have with it, yet I'm enjoying Gonzo's adaption in a twisted way... Jury's still out for me.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
The first episode may have been a bit awkwardly paced, but once the series starts revealing its cards, [Darker than BLACK] definitely has the potential to turn into a really fun show.

Sounds just like a favorite of mine. Laughing

I'm kind of hoping that BONES keeps the moody atmosphere in DtB. It's been a good few seasons or so since we've had one like it, and it would be the first for a BONES series to actually have that style and tone working for it. It's dark even though it has a lot of its action during the daytime, so I'm hoping that it gets even better from here.

Carlo Santos wrote:
At worst, [Bokurano] might turn into some generic monster-battling series (Fifteen enemies! Count 'em!) and miss the whole point of playing a deadly "reality game. " But we are talking about the same manga-ka who created Shadow Star Narutaru, so expect plenty of warped, freak-out moments to come.

Haven't seen Narutaru nor read the original manga, but man, from what I've heard of the anime adaption for that the animation there isn't given the best of budgets. I hope Gonzo does enough justice in that department for Bokurano knowing their reputation and doesn't pour all of it into Romeo x Juliet.

Briana Lawrence wrote:
Something has to happen to break the story away from the typical “wandering warrior getting more than she bargained for” plotline. If [Serirei no Moribito] continues to move down this path, it's going to get pretty repetitive by episode five or six.

Nothing much has happened yet that one would call to be unexpected just from knowing the plot summary and seeing trailers, but all the same I'd suspect that it isn't going to fall under those lines. Production I.G. doesn't put out material that's so utterly distinctive in their premises/plots like a few other studios, but there stuff is usually solid all around when it isn't just showcasing their production merits.

I'm seriously glad Geneon pre-licensed this, though. Makes me hopeful for them also nabbing Production I.G.'s upcoming anniversary work, Ghost Hound.

Carlo Santos wrote:
If there are any faults so far, it's that the first episode relies too much on flashbacks to fill up time, and the supporting characters all look like generic fantasy-world fill-ins. However, with powerful music and rich visuals adding to an already solid story, this is definitely an action series worth checking out.

Madhouse does shounen manga adaptions right. I feel as though they're making Death Note less tedious and more exciting than the original manga, and after the awkward introduction of Claymore, they're doing justice to that as well. I really look forward to seeing the contents of volume five being adapted, because it was those scenes in that specific volume that made it one of my favorite (if few) shounen series.

Plus, they're backgrounds really add to the rather vacant feel of the original manga.

Carlo Santos wrote:
From Episode 1 [Gurren Lagann] could go two ways: a seriously fun, energetic adventure, or a generic monster/robot-of-the-week slog. Are you willing to take that gamble?

YES.

I haven't had as much fun watching anime since FLCL, methinks. Gurren Lagann is that break away from anime and yet embraces a lot of its conventions at the same time. Kamina is probably the most amusing character this season, in my mind, because he's constantly pushing and oozing the manliness that good old skool mecha fans like. I'm not exactly one of them, though a lot of my favorite anime, Giant Robo and The Big O, pay homages to them (well, it'd be more accurate to say that The Big O is a homage to Giant Robo, but whatever).

Theron Martin wrote:
Heroic Age may have potential, but it's just too early to tell for sure.

So long as it doesn't travel to the Gundam Seed route and even if it stays within the typical trappings of the mecha genre, I won't be disappointed. It's shaping up to be a grand old epic, and even with the monotonous exposition so far it's enjoyable. Age is worth it alone, one might say, just because his innocence with his character is uncommon in anime, oddly enough.

As for anime that has yet to air this season... Can't wait to see The Skullman as its Izubuchi's return to writing in anime (of RahXephon fame), and Denno Coil looks simply awesome (that, and I'm a sucker for Madhouse).
eloyabun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the article must included a preview of the “Toward the Terra” (地球[テラ]へ…) TV remake. Based on a manga by Keiko Takemiya “Terra e” has been already adapted into anime in a feature film in 1980 and it was released states side in 1994 in VHS and LD. The TV series is maybe one of the best scifi series in this season. I hope you can edit the article to include it.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, you do realize that timely availability of fansubs has a lot do to with what does and doesn't get covered, right? That one just wasn't available on time that I could find.

So, will there be a second guide for the shows that have the fansubs recently coming out and not covered in the first round?
Zilveari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Zilveari wrote:
Other than that, looks like a subpar season. Thank god I bought FF12 and Ar Tonelico to get me through.

You know, people say that every season and it's almost never true.

We had Deathnote , Black Lagoon 2, Ayakashi Ayashi, Negima!?, and Code geass (etc.) , but people still called the Fall season mediocre from the start.

Just give up the cliche >.>[/quote]

I knew last season would be okay because of Death Note and Black Lagoon. Geass turned out better than I had hoped as well, even though the second opening was all Seed-ish...
vincent iii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I so far have seen all the available episode of Moonlight Mile, Darker than BLACK and Romeo x Juliet. I think they are pretty good series but my favourite would have to be Romeo x Juliet. My personal small review on them:

Romeo x Juliet - Decided to watch out of boredom and instantly fell in love with. I wasn't planning on seeing it due to I do get tired of reading 10 rehashes of Romeo & Juliet but they currently are changing it up enough for me to enjoy it. I LOVE the intro song and I think the ending is so-so. It currently is a totally different feel then the original story, but I think that is what is helping it. Hopefully it doesn't crap out in quality later in the series.

Darker than BLACK - Will buy the OST once I can find it. Series does kinda toss you around but it reminds me of Big-O, but without big robots. Will probably watch but I can easily see the plot turning to too confusing for its own good.

Moonlight Mile - I really like this series and I really don't know why. Even though I'm not a prude, I really don't see the relevance in having all the sex scenes. If they really help the plot that is fine, but after the second episode we get the idea that the main characters get around. I do like how some things are very scientifically accurate, but it seems to equal out with enough completely out there events too, but then again, its Science Fiction, not a documentary.

I don't know if I like this season more then Fall/Winter 2006. I currently haven't found a newer series that beats out my love for Bartender and Death Note I was obsessed with until the quality started to go down. I guess we will have to see how some of these turn out.
kei-clone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Himalayus wrote:
I take it from your post (and you’re free to correct me if I’m wrong) that you are in the “reviews shouldn’t compare shows together” camp of review readers. Quite frankly this is a stance that I’ve never been able to comprehend. Comparison is the very essence of our understanding of the world. How can you know what is “good” or “bad” anime (or even what you like and don’t like) without reference to anime that you’ve watched previously? Similarly, a reader can’t know my concept of “good” and “bad” anime without reference to things that I’ve watched previously. You mention how you can’t know whether you might like something that a reviewer panned without reference to the reviewer’s tastes. You are exactly right. Which is why comparisons to other shows are necessary. In reference to the Lucky Star preview (which I must assume you are referring to as it is to my knowledge the only preview that mentions both moe and “failed jokes”) I provided both context for my own tastes as pertaining to shows with similar goals that I believed to be successful (Azumanga Daioh and Strawberry Marshmallow) and also a clear explanation of why I didn’t find the jokes funny (I believe I said that they “aim for gently humorous but instead miss and fall into the Bottomless Swamp of Failed Quirkiness,” followed by an in-depth description of one particular joke that failed for me). I believe that I provided more than enough information for readers to decide on their own whether or not the show is for them. On that front (and I must say, I’m surprised this hasn’t been brought up here) my Nagasare Airantou preview is the bigger offender. The only context I provided in that one was to say that the premise really says it all (which in my case was a very, very bad thing).

For the record, I haven’t anything against any particular genre of anime. Genres are simply structures of expectations that creators can use to manipulate audiences in different ways. Whether that manipulation is good or bad depends entirely on the creators. Granted, certain genres have lower success rates than others (the harem genre comes to mind), but that just means that you have to have a high tolerance for poor examples of the genre in order to get to the good stuff. Either that, or a trusted reviewer who is willing to slog through the bad stuff in your stead in order to point you towards the good stuff.

And to the person who called for my immediate retirement: I’m wounded sir, wounded. Do you have any idea how much it costs to hire a good psychotherapist these days?

good to see I'm being responded by the actual reviewer.

The "failed joke" reference was basically the first example that came to my mind when I was trying to explain my point in response to Zac's
Quote:
A good review will show you whether or not you'll like the show, regardless of the reviewer's opinion on it.
basically I was trying to say that no one can really get a positive feeling from that point.

It's not even that I'm defending Lucky Star's first episode, because I actually agree with you on most points on the first episode. A post was made before about how some blogs are even more opinion based than ANN's Spring Preview. I equate this to Tucker Carlson telling Jon Stewart that he doesn't ask tough questions in his interviews. Jon Stewart is a comedian, it's not his job unlike CNN's Crossfire. Same with blogs and ANN. Everyone knows blogs are opinionated. ANN, however, has the word "News" in its title. Theoretically "News" is supposed to be objective, and although these days I know this isn't true a lot, but I would like to see reviews more objective than the Nagasarete review (which I did indeed complain about, along with the sola review, in this post), and I won't bore you guys by explaining how again.

I can see where you're coming from with the comparisons of different series. It makes sense in a way, but I guess I would indeed like to see more specific analyses. And yes, it was pretty much the Nagasarete review that spurred me to write this complaint, and I'm glad you understand why. I'm really trying not to defend the moe genre though, so I've kept most of whether I disagree/agree with the reviewer's actual opinions out of my complaints, and instead focused on how these series were reviewed. It just bugs me when I see repeated attacks on a particular genre's weakness, as if being ascribed to that particular genre automatically makes that series inferior. Obviously by now that's not what you intended to say, and I'm in no position to tell you how to write a review, but as a reader I'm letting you know the impression that I, and most likely many of us, received.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

Romeo X Juliet again, ugh! Shakespeare's story that if written today would be no better than a dime store paper back novel, and now its an anime by Gonzo. A generic story altered to be even more generic done by a company who does a lot of generic dialogue and character designs, all done just to show us show off their visual effects prowess? No thanks!

I hated Romeo and Juliet in school. The anime only "loosely" follows the R&J play. I'm surprised that I really like this anime, and I'm downloading the raws too. Have you ever seen an episode yet? This is a great series. Don't bash something you probably never took the time to watch yet. -.-;
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
So, will there be a second guide for the shows that have the fansubs recently coming out and not covered in the first round?

I doubt it will that will happen, generally ANN tries to hit to as many shows as possible it's just isn't viable seeing as how many show have different starting times, heck some airs just started airing and also not everything has been fansub. I am pretty sure anything else you'd want to know has been discussed somewhere on the internet.

Also ANN covered an extra five series this season compared to Fall where they looked at 16 shows. In a perfect world we could have everything reviewed but ANN hit just about everything that I cared about.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8