• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2007 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
You mean the staff are actually giving their own opinions on shows in the preview? How dare they! Being subjected to other peoples opinions may brainwash me, as I have all the mental strength and willpower of a damp piece of lettuce...

A negative review does not mean the series is bad, it just means the reviewer didn't like it. Take the Lucky Star preview, for example - even though it gets a poor review, bits like this: -
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
...an epic six and a half minute dialogue on the finer points of eating.
make me think it sounds pretty awesome (as indeed I found it was).
Likewise, a positive review doesn't mean a series is actually good, rather it explains why the reviewer thought it was good.
Carlos Santos wrote:
Swords? Monsters? Blood? Sign me up!
... and count me out, for exactly the same reasons.
See, people giving their opinions on a series tells us a lot more than a simple summary ever would, which is why I think it's a good idea to do a preview guide like this.

Having watched most of the series mentioned I thought all the previews were pretty good - even the ones I disagreed with the first time I read them were fair once I took into account that they may well be based on only the first episodes.

To people moaning about the Lucky Star preview - well, few things are as polarising as niche humour, so it's hardly surprising when people either love or hate this show. For similar reasons (although the humour isn't so niche) Hayate the Combat Butler will be hit-or-miss.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
Given its importance I was surprised at the no mention of Mahop Shojo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Aside that, I personally have a total different way of reviewing series (even first impressions), so I don't agree with the choice of writing styles.
fillinthe_____

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Thank you to the ANN staff for the review of the new season. You saved me a vast amount of time that by giving me a glimpse of the new shows, including the production quality, music and what general cliches they fall into. Unfortunately not a single anime out right now captured my attention to the point where I must watch it. I most likely will end up watching Darker than Black simply because it is produced by BONES and possible a few others.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
My! What a long list of titles! Those reviewers must have been like hikikomori to have sat in a hotel room in Japan and watched all those animes on Japanese tele. Must have put a right dent in going out and seeing the sights. Wink

Out of all those only 5 strummed my strings of interest.

Moonlight Mile: Could be a prequel to Planetes.

Darker than Black; Good potential for mystery and drama.

Hayate the
Comfort Butler; Good for a laugh

Claymore; Good fantasy adventure.

Romeo x Juliet; The re-mix.

Everything else was just fanboy, or fangirl fodder for whatever persuasion, or perversion to me.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Given its importance I was surprised at the no mention of Mahop Shojo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Aside that, I personally have a total different way of reviewing series (even first impressions), so I don't agree with the choice of writing styles.

I think they probably avoided that due to the fact it's the third season of the show... people who watched the first two will watch it, people who didn't won't, so why bother to give people a preview of it?

Mowhawk52 wrote:
My! What a long list of titles! Those reviewers must have been like hikikomori to have sat in a hotel room in Japan and watched all those animes on Japanese tele. Must have put a right dent in going out and seeing the sights. Wink

Razz

Mowhawk52 wrote:
Moonlight Mile: Could be a prequel to Planetes.

Oh, I hoped so too... let me save you the time, it really isn't. While the first episode shows some vague hints of promise, it hadn't lived up to them by the time I dropped it. From My Anime: -

Ramadahl wrote:
Moonlight Mile is a show about men. Manly men. Virile manly men. To get this point across, the two heavily muscled protagonists spend their time engaged in manly activities such as mountain climbing, baseball, construction work, racing, flying aircraft, imbibing copious amounts of alcohol (with no negative effect) and having sex with many women. Oh, and they're smarter than computers. I think one of them got blown up at some point, but I have no doubt he'll turn out to be alive - it takes more than a few SAMs to kill a real man... Gods I hated this anime. I can only put the fact that I sat through (nearly) 4 episodes down to extreme procrastination. Since none of the characters seemed to be about to die of syphilis or liver failure (either would've been fine, and probably accurate), I've dropped this series.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

I think they probably avoided that due to the fact it's the third season of the show... people who watched the first two will watch it, people who didn't won't, so why bother to give people a preview of it?

Third "season", with a roughly 2 year interval after A's? I don't see the point of not mentioning it. Considering also it changed a genre that was stale for at least 5-6 years (and yes, CCS didn't innovate it, before someone mentions it) I think it's important to mention it.
Jubet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this list. Very Happy
kei-clone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
crilix wrote:
Carl Kimlinger should retire. Period. I've never seen such a straightforward attempt at bashing the moe "genre" without knowing, or more likely accepting its mechanics.

In the same breath you damn someone for pointing out the tired cliches of a genre and then expect him to just "accept" them, as though his purpose is not to objectively review shows, but to say whatever it is that's going to make moe fanboys like you happy.

I can understand someone disliking some show of any genre. I can accept objective negative reviews of shows I do like. However, certain reviewers seem to go into a show, knowing it's from a particular genre, and already set out to dislike it. I feel this is inherently biased and not objective.

If one of the reviewers has some beef against a particular genre (in this case it's being referred to as the moe genre), he should not be sent to write an objective review about series' in that genre. What winds up happening is thus, and complaints about other series and the entire genre are made, and the reviews lose focus what's specifically good or bad about a particular anime.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode of Hitohira. It reminded me of Kashimashi and Maria-sama ga Miteru, at least in the sense of it being a quiet series that doesn't need to delve into things it could and be a shameless piece of crap like Strawberry Panic.

I like the show now, but if it does build on some of the subliminal shoujo-ai references and can make it tastefui (even if they remain undertones), I can definitely see myself as a huge fan of the show.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks for the previews! I'll be checking out Darker than Black, Claymore, and Hayate, and possibly Romeo X Juliet. The rest of the stuff doesn't look too appealing to me, with a heavy emphasis on fanservice and mecha.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
[quote=Ramadahl]
Oh, I hoped so too... let me save you the time, it really isn't. While the first episode shows some vague hints of promise, it hadn't lived up to them by the time I dropped it. From My Anime: - [/quote]
exactly. But to be honest I'm not dropping it. I would've taken a Planetes clone (with an ending with more closure preferably--not that Planetes got a bad one, but there's room for improvement).

This is more like salaryman kintaro and Planetes had a kid and made it grow up playing with GI Joe toys and watching Schwarzenegger movies. It's not what it looked liek ti was going to be, but the whole 'manly men' thign you complain about is pretty easy to get over. Just take the show with a grain of salt and enjoy the space drama (that'll come hopefully).

[quote=ximpalullaorg]Third "season", with a roughly 2 year interval after A's? I don't see the point of not mentioning it. Considering also it changed a genre that was stale for at least 5-6 years (and yes, CCS didn't innovate it, before someone mentions it) I think it's important to mention it.[/quote]

Beat me to it, but I gotta say I completely agree. The first two seasons couldn't hold my interest, and while this falls to some of the pitfalls of the loli-magical girl genre, it's more like I don't know ... a police series. Which is an improvement.

I'd also note that people here seem to have a bad habit of feeding trolls O_o
shh227

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I had already chose sola, hayate and Nagasarete. I really did'nt like the person who were reviewing nagasarete I have seen the first 3 episodes and they a really funny.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Beat me to it, but I gotta say I completely agree. The first two seasons couldn't hold my interest, and while this falls to some of the pitfalls of the loli-magical girl genre, it's more like I don't know ... a police series. Which is an improvement.

Actually I was referring to first series and A's (especially A's) as well, loli presence or not they did alter the genre in a significant matter. Too early to tell about StrikerS.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I really enjoyed the first episode of Hitohira. It reminded me of Kashimashi and Maria-sama ga Miteru, at least in the sense of it being a quiet series that doesn't need to delve into things it could and be a shameless piece of crap like Strawberry Panic.
Strawberry Panic! was not a shameless piece of crap. Shameless soap opera, yes. Crap? No, I don't think so.

That said, I totally agree with your thoughts on Hitohira. It seems very warm and inviting so far. A very likeable cast I think and Mugi is quite a cute character. Her personality seems almost that of an agoraphobic. Nono comes across as a very focused and intense character. The description of her as "slightly predatory perfect upperclassman" is quite fitting, although there did seem to be some hints that she's got some serious issues. The brother and sister were fun, if somewhat unimportant. It's clear this series belongs to Mugi and Nono, if you don't like them you'll probably not like the series.

Subtextual Yuri+High School Setting=Me Watching. Cool

The only other one on the list I've checked out so far is Claymore, which I was a tad disappointed with because it's pacing seems far too fast to me. (I'm a huge fan of the manga.)

It's not a bad adaption so far, it just seems too rushed for my tastes. Claymore has a lot more going on than just blades, babes, and blood, but it takes a little while to truly get into the deeper stuff.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
kei-clone wrote:

I can understand someone disliking some show of any genre. I can accept objective negative reviews of shows I do like. However, certain reviewers seem to go into a show, knowing it's from a particular genre, and already set out to dislike it. I feel this is inherently biased and not objective.

If one of the reviewers has some beef against a particular genre (in this case it's being referred to as the moe genre), he should not be sent to write an objective review about series' in that genre. What winds up happening is thus, and complaints about other series and the entire genre are made, and the reviews lose focus what's specifically good or bad about a particular anime.

OK, but you don't know that the guy is biased against the moe anime, you're assuming that because he didn't like Lucky Star - and you did - that means he doesn't "get" moe shows and therefore should not be allowed to give his opinion on them.

I don't understand that. Moe is not a complicated form; the shows have genre traits, which are easily identifiable. What you're telling me is that the only people qualified to review moe shows are the people who are most likely to agree with whatever all the other moe fans like, as though there's a "hive mind" mentality to this and if the critic does not agree with that collective opinion, he or she is "wrong", "biased", or both.

Carl didn't like Lucky Star for the same reasons you did. A good review will show you whether or not you'll like the show, regardless of the reviewer's opinion on it. A few other people pointed out that they figured they would like the show, based on Carl's negative review. That, to me, means the review is a success.

You are, obviously, more than welcome to disagree with the review, and provide your own. We encourage that here; that's one of the reasons this forum even exists. But to act as though Carl's thoughts on the show absolutely have to conform to whatever the agreed-upon moe fan opinion is... that's ridiculous, and presumptuous. If I thought Carl was legitimately biased against moe anime, I wouldn't have let him review any of those shows. But he isn't; he's never given me any reason to think so. And I am likely paying far closer attention to this than you are, given that it's my job to do so.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8