• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Publish Naruto at 3 Books a Month at Year's End

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so that confirms all the speculation in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36309
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
yea, but from what I read from the other thread, I don't recall any mention of it being just September to December. That's not so bad, I guess. Maybe I'll start buying them again. I haven't purchased Naruto since volume 5 >_> I just couldn't stand the translations of some of the things -_-.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It's great to have it confirmed. Nothing would make me happier Smile

It seems to be implied that they're planning to either start time-jump manga in the Jump, and/or skip the fillers on the anime - by the end of the year the anime should be somewhere in the middle of spoiler[Sasuke retreival] arc, right?

I can't help but to feel that fansubs and scanlations have been a factor in this.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
yea, but from what I read from the other thread, I don't recall any mention of it being just September to December.

No mention? It was the the first post in that topic.

bahamut623 wrote:
Starting in September-December...Viz will release 3 volumes of Naruto per month meaning they'll get to volume 28 by the end of the year...which is the time-skip!!

Look it up on amazon or Simon & Schuster, it's true![/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Are people actually going to be willing to purchase 3 books a month? I mean I am having difficulties attempting to buy one or two dvds a month. But then again Manga is a bit cheaper and there always deal on buy two get one free or something along those lines.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Are people actually going to be willing to purchase 3 books a month? I mean I am having difficulties attempting to buy one or two dvds a month. But then again Manga is a bit cheaper and there always deal on buy two get one free or something along those lines.

Yes, of course... obviously I'm speaking for myself. I seem to be spending around $200 on manga per month anyway, couple more won't make a difference... And of course, the fact that they are releasing it that speed must mean that they believe people are going to buy them - maybe the burn is just going to be slower and people don't buy it immediately when it comes out.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, all the Shonen Jump and Shonen Jump advanced titles are priced a couple bucks cheaper at $7.99.

Plus I'm such a regular customer at my local comic shop, between US books and manga, he gives me a slight break on all manga, graphic novels, and trades.

As for this news.. eh.. I have skipped Naruto in favor of other series. Namely, One Piece. If Viz were do apply the same to One Piece, I'd be quite happy. I'm so tempted to just jump ahead in scanlations (while still buying them whenever they come out). My friends who read it are all current with the Japanese releases and keep telling me to catch up. Hell, one of them is in Japan and likely reading it on the newstand.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I would've been ecstatic over this if I hasn't already read the series through scanlations. Razz That aside, I think it's great news. I think 1 volume a month would have been more reasonable, but I'll probably buy them slowly anyway. It's just good that we will catch up to the Japanese releases much sooner now.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
sykosteve wrote:
yea, but from what I read from the other thread, I don't recall any mention of it being just September to December.

No mention? It was the the first post in that topic.

bahamut623 wrote:
Starting in September-December...Viz will release 3 volumes of Naruto per month meaning they'll get to volume 28 by the end of the year...which is the time-skip!!

Look it up on amazon or Simon & Schuster, it's true![/b]

eh, I must have thought that was just a range for a start date, not a start and an end date..>_> I must have just disregarded it, my bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I can hear my wallet crying.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. So the rumour is finally 100% verified.

But what I want to know, is what's going to happen to the serialization in the serialization of the magazine? Are they going to increase the amount of chapters in the magazine, or what?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
YES~! Confirmation of the greatest thing Viz has done all year!

BUT, I just have one question. People complain about Viz's translation of Naruto a lot, so ... "Why?" Seriously, I don't know and would like to know what I may be (missing?) from reading scanlations.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

I'll be more than willing. With my Barnes and Noble membership card, it shouldn't be tough at all. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'll be more than willing. With my Barnes and Noble membership card, it shouldn't be tough at all. Very Happy

That's I figured, I don't buy a lot of manga. Normally I wait for TRSI to have a VIZ sale and then I stock up on up and coming Monster Volumes.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
But what I want to know, is what's going to happen to the serialization in the serialization of the magazine? Are they going to increase the amount of chapters in the magazine, or what?

Yes. It went from 3 to 4 chapters for the June issue (the one on newstands next week), and is going to 5 a month after that.

Also, the actual press release that the article is from says: To support Naruto NATION, Viz Media's Shonen Jump magazine...will begin to feature the new adventures of the older Naruto beginning in the January 2008 issue (estimated in stores December 4, 2007

The pre-pimping of the January 2008 issue actually begins in the June issue on page 4, but nothing is specified except that it will "rock the Naruto world!"

Quote:
Are people actually going to be willing to purchase 3 books a month?

Well, if they aren't, then September through December is conspicuously close to Christmas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2