• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Adds 3 Boys-Love Manga Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
While I mean no insult towards Digital Manga at all, I really wonder why it seems that they only publish BL series these days. I own a Barnes and Noble Nook eReader device, and when I try to look at the meager manga offerings for it, I'm always bombarded with a large number of similar titles to these. I don't mean this the wrong way, but does some of it have to do with the fact that the digital distribution platform allows for discrete buying?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Not that I have anything against BL manga but I really wish they would venture more into shoujo manga but that's just me.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Boy's Love Manga is really easy to bring over here, the series are almost always done in 1 or 2 volumes, there is a dedicated market base who will buy it, and they don't cost to much to license. I can see why Digital Manga is trying in the rather uncertain times to stand by a market they know they have.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
That, and I've read about some stores which refuse to stock BL titles, so online seems to get around that.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Since I'm unfamiliar, are these BL titles outright hentai to any degree? I ask because that would also explain the digital method of distribution, as many stores would equally prefer not to stock hentai manga I'm sure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I ask because that would also explain the digital method of distribution, as many stores would equally prefer not to stock hentai manga I'm sure.

Not like when those manga were sold in comic shops! Laughing
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
More Minase Masara-- awesome! Actually I'll probably get all of these when they hit the actual bookshelves.

@vashna: I'm almost sure most of them are explicit to varying degrees, though I don't think that has anything to do with digital vs. physical release since in this case Digital Manga Inc., despite their (nowadays) somewhat confusing name, also prints actual BL manga and plenty of it. Since I didn't see anything in the article about these being eManga releases only, I assume they're being released as actual books.

Regarding the proliferance of BL in digital format, as Sewingrose mentioned, I suspect it has a lot to do with simply taking advantage of a market that's known to do well. The more material a company can put out (and digital distro is faster & cheaper than having a book printed) the faster it can rake in the cash.

Still-- I wish they'd do an actual print run on some of their eManga only titles. I'd pay twice as much for a real book, whereas I have no interest in the digital releases.

P.S. As a side note, I think most hardcore BL readers have long since converted to online buying by now, so I'm not sure I believe that brick 'n' mortar stores not carrying the stuff is a hinderance to very many besides kids who shouldn't be buying 18+ material anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you mean, though honestly I'd like to see more eManga releases for my Nook device. I know that Viz Media has been releasing Shonen Jump series for the iPad/iPhone platform, and I'd snatch those up in a heartbeat if they came over to the Barnes and Noble Nook platform. However, I'm not one of those people that try to claim that books are going out of style!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1