• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Plucked From Obscurity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asuron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Asuron wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0hRopXlEI

Pains face literally blurs in one scene and he turns into Roadrunner for another, I'm not sure how that's grasping at straws. You don't mind it that's fine, but you'd literally have to be blind to not notice that it was terribly animated and had terrible artwork. They seemed to learn a lesson after that as well, since the animation and artwork got alot more consistent later on.

Well for one, if you have to add special/sound effects to a video to get your point across, you're doing it wrong. And terribly animated? That was pretty well animated, actually; it was smooth and everything flowed nicely (are you sure you don't mean art?) The only example in that video that had any kind of merit would be the second to last one where the art looked off for a few seconds... which was kinda silly yes, but if someone really condemns an entire arc/show for a few seconds of off-modelness then animation probably isn't the right hobby for them. For the record, I don't even get their #1 choice which is Pain being slammed into the ground.. how is that bad? It was kind of brutal, actually.

I picked a random video that showed the scenes. Whether it had music or sound effects( it didn't except for the roadrunner one) is irrelevant. What you thought about their choice doesn't matter since its just an example of what I am talking about

If you think I had a problem with just one scene, then you are sorely mistaken. I've already said I didn't like how they did this for previous fights and that episode was just the culmination of it. Thankfully they've realized its terrible and stopped doing it, or at least that's how it seems with the stuff they've done lately.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Does the animation quality in the One Piece anime stay good?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

Quote:
The oldest anime that I gave second opinion was Ranma ½. That show is just way too freaking long and it goes nowhere. You could basically swap seasons and no one would notice. Relationships don't advance, characters don't grow, and the episodes are pretty much the same but with a new Character and Fighting Style of the Day. I gave up watching in season 3.

Ranma 1/2 is basically an animated sitcom, thus relationships don't's advance, characters don't grow, and almost every episode has a "guest star". Sitcoms have a tendency to do all of those. Ranma 1/2 has seven seasons, and it is long, but compared to several anime today that go one forever, seven seasons isn't that bad.

The Ranma 1/2 TV anime ended just before the best section of the manga, which is about Vol #20 and on. But yes, it is a shounen sitcom - the relationships don't change; the characters just become more powerful; the plot goes places but not to a turning-point.

But the keypoint about Ranma 1/2 is...... that back then, nudity (with nipples!) was allowed on primetime TV (never mind late-night)! And it started on the very first episode! So J-TV is actually becoming more prude now than in the past (while it's trending opposite in America). Laughing

toyNN wrote:
The weak animation on the long running Bleach/Naruto animes - it always seems to me that its because they can get away with it. It allows them to make more money, while not hurting their fan base. And that in-turn may allow the series to keep running. Often a series can meet its end because its just too costly to keep producing.

Anime studios are small studios (except for a few like Toei). For long-running weekly TV series, no studio by itself can keep churning out episode after episode, week after week, for months or years on end. So what often happens is the original studio outsources work to several other studios, some local in Japan, sometimes abroad to Southeast Asia.

So there's no way to always keep track of the level of animation. And not a lot of time to do corrections - by the time an episode is finished, it's almost time for broadcast or to work on the next episode. So that's just a hazard for any long series; nobody can maintain 100% all the time, not even the Japanese.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Part of this issue is also that the japanese broadcasting don't believe in reruns. So its in their mindset to keep a series continuous even through off periods.
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
Of the people who are complaining about Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle's "convoluted" structure, has anyone tried reading it straight through from beginning to end? I admit the first time I read it I had a hard time following the story, but that was mostly because I had to go 3 to 4 months between volumes and forgetting even a little of what happens really hurts down the line. After it ended, I read it again from beginning to end and understood what was happening just fine. I'm not denying that it's a very complex story that requires some serious thought to follow, but after that second reading I would definitely say there are things I've had a harder time following, like the geopolitical talk / techno-babble of Ghost in the Shell SAC, or that metaphysical stuff at the end of Evangelion (not to be confused with the movie The End of Evangelion Wink ). Of course, I also think if CLAMP's intent was to create a continuation of Card Captor Sakura, they should have just created a continuation of Card Captor Sakura. They could have still thrown in all those nods to their other series (the original series even had small nods to Angelic Layer and Chobits if you count the Piffle Princess merchandise) and maybe even squeezed in an ending to one or two of their still unfinished series *cough*X*cough*Clover*cough* (don't you just hate those coughs that are so strong you feel compelled to type them Wink ).
enurtsol wrote:
The Ranma 1/2 TV anime ended just before the best section of the manga, which is about Vol #20 and on.

Even though it will never happen, I always wished someone would make two more Ranma 1/2 movies. The first one would cover the Herb Saga while the second would cover the Saffron Saga and the wedding fiasco (does anyone call them that. I can't think of a better way to describe those two segments of the manga).
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Asuron wrote:

Pains face literally blurs in one scene and he turns into Roadrunner for another, I'm not sure how that's grasping at straws.
You don't mind it that's fine, but you'd literally have to be blind to not notice that it was terribly animated and had terrible artwork. They seemed to learn a lesson after that as well, since the animation and artwork got alot more consistent later on.

The animation is very stylized, but I wouldn't call those example "bad."
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Does the animation quality in the One Piece anime stay good?

Well, if you dislike that Pain video, you probably won't like One Piece since they tend to have even goofier art at times.. though usually it's on purpose.

One Piece's problem is the pacing later on.. like 1 chapter = 1 episode because they dislike doing too much anime-only stuff and would rather just drag the manga stuff out so the pacing stuffers compared to the other shows.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
It was easy to narrow the list down to five short films or OVAs: Time of Eve by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto Shinkai, Happy Machine by Masaaki Yuasa, Baby Blue by Shinichiro Watanabe, and Magnetic Rose by Koji Morimoto and Satoshi Kon. Picking one of these series is going to be very hard and is going to take the whole night to write out why one is better.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The Ranma 1/2 TV anime ended just before the best section of the manga, which is about Vol #20 and on. But yes, it is a shounen sitcom - the relationships don't change; the characters just become more powerful; the plot goes places but not to a turning-point.

But the keypoint about Ranma 1/2 is...... that back then, nudity (with nipples!) was allowed on primetime TV (never mind late-night)! And it started on the very first episode! So J-TV is actually becoming more prude now than in the past (while it's trending opposite in America). Laughing

I will never forgive Ranma for never animating either the Herb arc, or the Phoenix arc. You're also right about censorship, I can't imagine what Ranma 1/2 would look like in this day and age, you can't even show this type of nudity late night, you would have to air it on a premium channel.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Naruto and Bleach I feel just turn into meandering messes, though you can still enjoy them for their popcorn quality, just don't expect them to be anything then quick entertainment. Tsubasa... ergh. I was not prepared to the mess of what it turns into, and rather happy to ignore the entire series entirely.
Don't know who you were talking to about One Piece though, that story is still ongoing and doing great, (granted with some arcs that feel a bit draggy at times), then again I'm an admitted fan of One Piece and eagerly collecting every volume Viz puts out.

I agree, if anything One Piece gets better and better the longer it goes on. It's true that some arcs are better than others(it's hard to top how awesome CP9 is), but it's pretty consistently enjoyable. The animation gets a lot better over time a well, around episode 210 they transferred to HD and it looks gorgeous.This scene here is particularly well animated(spoilers). Compare that to the Naruto one being thrown around in this thread.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

I agree, if anything One Piece gets better and better the longer it goes on. It's true that some arcs are better than others(it's hard to top how awesome CP9 is), but it's pretty consistently enjoyable. The animation gets a lot better over time a well, around episode 210 they transferred to HD and it looks gorgeous.This scene here is particularly well animated(spoilers). Compare that to the Naruto one being thrown around in this thread.

Well, in some cases, yes, One Piece's animation gives high quality, but in others, you can tell it's been shopped out to Korea. The most notable in my mind is spoiler[when Luffy is traveling to Impel Down to save Ace and you see those "What are they doing now" segments of the other crew. The episode where Robin is on the Bridge to Nowhere has some pretty mediocre to bad animation. And that's a damn shame because Robin remains my favorite character in the series, despite strong showings by Nami and Boa, so I was sorely disappointed to see the one look at Robin in some time to be handled so poorly. ] Typically though, it does give a good product, especially when dealing with canon material.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Well, in some cases, yes, One Piece's animation gives high quality, but in others, you can tell it's been shopped out to Korea. The most notable in my mind is spoiler[when Luffy is traveling to Impel Down to save Ace and you see those "What are they doing now" segments of the other crew. The episode where Robin is on the Bridge to Nowhere has some pretty mediocre to bad animation. ]
Really? I know there's a huge disconnect to reality on this thread (ie, Luffy vs Blueno 2nd Gear=good animation. Norio Matsumoto's work on Naruto=fail.), so I guess this is just the norm for this thread. That One Piece episode wasn't "shipped out to Korea", but it was helmed by one of Toei's top animators. Yeah, the drawings aren't consistently "on-model", there's less detail on them because they aren't doing slow pans every minute, and it does look different from the other episodes because Tate has a distinct drawing style. But that's the sacrifice to make in order to get more actual animation in the show. Look at the way the little girl moves when she's running around trying to get to Robin. Look at the sense of weight, balance, and desperation in her actions. You don't get animation with that level of expression on an episode-to-episode basis on One Piece or most shows because it takes skill to do.

I'm done arguing about Shippuden 167 specifically; especially when it was easily one of the most expensive and ambitious episodes they've done on the show. That said, the dude asking the original questions must not have paid much attention to Shippuden overall if they thought 167 was the only well animated episode. There are have been a lot more episodes on Shippuden than on the original Naruto series that have had high quality animation. The last arc alone had 3-3.5 episodes worth of great animation, which is pretty good considering they were hindered by the movie production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
Toaru Majutsu no Index. There are two completed seasons and a spinoff season. I was really enjoying this mix of magic versus science; the characters were sympathetic, the action fun, and the stories interesting.

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean. Seriously, Index is horrible, I mean Hidan no Aria had a better plot, and that show had Dracula as a fricken werewolf.

Quote:
And I *enjoyed* The Phantom Menace.

And that explains everything. But at least the Japanese know what the Catholic Church is. They wouldn't recognize Protestantism if you nailed a description of it to their door. (YES!! HISTORY JOKE! My job here is done.)
I can give you that the plot does SEEM kind of all over the place..but it's really not. It just takes a bit of thinking to piece things together. I can understand you having your own tastes. I can understand you not understanding the story and thus thinking it's terrible. But comparing to Hidan no Aria is just a major exaggeration and insult. Index has a VERY well thought out world, over 100 well created characters [most not yet seen in the animes] and the story is full of writing that makes the viewer/reader think. Compared to a story where a guy gets epic from getting turned on....

To fully appreciate Index you have to move a bit away from the anime and read some of the LN or at least some summaries, but it makes the anime itself a lot better than it first seems.

I do think it's hilarious that someone dropped it because they put Catholics as bad guys. They need to read a history book or two. Without starting a debate, it's just fact that every group of people were viewed as bad guys by another group at some point in time. It's all perspective.
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
I liked Index until the main character spoiler[lost his memories] at which point the series became a disconnected pile of random encounters that lacked any sense of coherency.

I was really enjoying it until then as well. Sad
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Asuron wrote:

Pains face literally blurs in one scene and he turns into Roadrunner for another, I'm not sure how that's grasping at straws.
You don't mind it that's fine, but you'd literally have to be blind to not notice that it was terribly animated and had terrible artwork. They seemed to learn a lesson after that as well, since the animation and artwork got alot more consistent later on.

The animation sequence was interesting. Fanboy griping about the characters going off-model is irrelevant because it was done so purposely. I thought the abstractions added to the chaotic atmosphere of the fight scenes. My question is; Why did the producers waste this animators talent on a show so puerile as Naruto? The largely parochial audience for this show is not going to understand this, as illustrated by this youtube link.

The person that posted this youtube video accuses the animators of doing a half-assed job, but then adds in their own hypocritical commentary in a completely half-assed way:

Quote:
WHERE I THINK EVERYONE SAID "WTF" TO ANIMATION. AND THINK: "WHO THE HELL DRAW THIS" (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT)

and

Quote:
WE KNOW THERE ARE MORE FAILS BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE WE CHOSE ...HMM BESTS EH NEVERMIND ...^^

What does that even mean? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3