• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi When They Cry: Demon Exposing Arc GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favorite manga arcs. It's a great point about this being the only arc that has the look and feel of the 80s--one of my favorite parts was the "behind-the scenes" where the first thing the artist thinks when his editor mentions HIGURASHI was "The one that has a maid cafe in 1983?" This arc reminded me a lot of thespoiler[second BLAIR WITCH movie which I also liked a lot--I think I might be one of only 10 or so people in the world who prefer the second over the first.]
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit more middle-of-the road on this arc (mini-story?). I love the Higurashi series dearly, much more so in manga form then their anime counterparts, so I'm happy it's still coming out.

I think what's a fairly big drawn for me to the series is the cast of characters, and the isolated little town setting. After I got over the original creepy factor, I found myself wanting to read about the main cast.

I intentionally don't watch a lot of horror anything, but from what I've seen, so many stories just have this cast of disposable or unlikable characters. That's just not interesting to me and I want to get attached to the characters before the deathdeathgore starts. Higurashi with the time loop plot keeps different plots, but the same characters and I really appreciate that.

The Demon Exposing arc? Set in a different location, with a different cast of characters, so it really didn't have much of a chance to compete with the other arcs for me. I can still appreciate that it was a story well told, and some moments where pretty unsettling, but it isn't the type of story I look for when I read Higurashi, and I was sorta "meh" at the end.

Granted I still bought the omnibus, but that might have more to do with Borders STILL having a copy when it hit 60% off Manga time.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a writer myself and if a manga artist in Japan wanted me to help him do an American version of one of his properties,I'd first check out the guy and if he or she were,for instance,the creators of "Sailor Moon" or "Bleach,"I'd probably help him do it. I'd also be open to doing an American version of "Higurashi." Me,I'd set in the same year,1983. I'd also have it set not only in Japan but America as well. It would be about the disappearance and reappearance of two American solders. I'd also have two journalist go to the same village as in the manga and anime. If it were successful,I'd do a follow-up about an American tv crew that goes to Hamazawa because in this version,only Americans can go there without being cursed. What do you guys think of that?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm a writer myself and if a manga artist in Japan wanted me to help him do an American version of one of his properties,I'd first check out the guy and if he or she were,for instance,the creators of "Sailor Moon" or "Bleach,"I'd probably help him do it. I'd also be open to doing an American version of "Higurashi." Me,I'd set in the same year,1983. I'd also have it set not only in Japan but America as well. It would be about the disappearance and reappearance of two American solders. I'd also have two journalist go to the same village as in the manga and anime. If it were successful,I'd do a follow-up about an American tv crew that goes to Hamazawa because in this version,only Americans can go there without being cursed. What do you guys think of that?

?
I don't think authors of Japanese manga (I'm sorry manga) terribly care about the American market remotely. I really don't think they are ever going to want another country to butcher their work in the name of creating an "American Version" of it. And I really, really don't think they are ever going to use an unknown poster on an Anime forum to do so.
Also, kudos to the narcissism it takes to say, I'll only help the famous mangaka remake their vision for a country they don't care for, IF the mangaka meets MY standards.
I'm not sure if you're just trying to troll, and are getting more blatant about it, when people continue to not care what you say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1