• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-switching anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, there was Zoicite but there is also Tenoh Haruka aka Sailor Uranus (Ogata Megumi was the VA) who was mistaken for a boy because of her short hair and the fact that she wore her school's boys' uniform.
Wow, I can't believe I completely forgot about Sailor Uranus! Especially as she's one of my favorites, not only the character but I think World Shaking is the coolest attack in all Sailor Moon.

Quote:
And you mustn't forget the Sailor Starlights as well! I still haven't quite figured THEM out!

They were mentioned earlier by Aylinn. They also fit this topic perfectly as they actually spoiler[physically transform into men when not in Sailor Senshi make up. It took me a few re-windings to get that. I thought they were just cross-dressing.] But then again, I'm slow.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

Quote:
And you mustn't forget the Sailor Starlights as well! I still haven't quite figured THEM out!

They were mentioned earlier by Aylinn. They also fit this topic perfectly as they actually spoiler[physically transform into men when not in Sailor Senshi make up. It took me a few re-windings to get that. I thought they were just cross-dressing.] But then again, I'm slow.

I missed that part of her post. Embarassed Yeah, the Starlights are an interesting case, because they are the exact opposite of the other senshi in a way. spoiler[Their Senshi forms are their "real" forms and the Starlights are their disguise. But it's the other way around for the other girls.]

But I have to agree with the others that Ranma is the ultimate, classic gender-switching anime.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
This was seen a long time ago, so perhaps I could be wrong, but didn't DNA2 have some physical body switching for a bit? Maybe I am thinking of something else, I don't care to go watch now to double check.

No... spoiler[Junta just turns into the Mega Playboy (a red-haired, taller and Don Juan-like version of himself) when his allergy to girls seems overwhelming. However, he goes back to normal when hecan't stand it anymore)]

I remember that, however I thought there was more, I have a slight memory of an anime that somehow reminded me of this than, so maybe the time frame I saw it or animation looked similar...
I remember a boy getting unexpectedly turned into a girl and going into the bathroom to fondle his new lovely breasts and then a guy chasing him because he liked the "girl" however I can't recall the name I guess. Clearly it seemed like DNA2 in my head I guess, it was a bit ecchi but not a hentai from what I can recall...I wonder what that one was? I looked over my anime list but nothing seems familiar so it must be another one I forgot to add or I just missed it.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Anyway, Past would you care to explain what interests you about characters that are more than just androgynous to the point that they're no longer a member of their original sex? It sounds interesting and a lot 'deeper' than what a lot of yaoi fangirls would say about why they like effeminate men.
I've never actually seen an anime where the gender is physically changed, I didn't know that material that intense even existed in anime. In those titles you mentioned is the sex change the central plot?

Hi thanks Amasa for your question, I'll get to that later tonight as I'm having a pretty busy day today. I think this will allow for plenty of "meaty" discussion as an avenue to keep the thread from getting locked. Everyone has been making great pointers toward other gender switching shows and I'll add them to my list in the opener.

Actually regarding Sailor Stars, since I haven't seen much of it I really haven't figured those characters out myself either. Are they all very effeminate men? Are they hermaphrodytes or are they women who are using magic to transform themselves into men but still look like women? I'm very curious to see more...

Ah [Edit I just read undeadben's post] so they are bishounen when in normal everyday mode and then when they "transform" they still basically look the same but become actual women. That's cool.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

It's also interesting to note that the Starlights are women who crossdress as men in the manga. They only switch genders in the anime version.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Regarding all the Sailor Moon stuff:

I think the cross-dresser people are thinking of (and I haven't seen mentioned yet, but maybe I overlooked it) is Fisheye, a member of SuperS Amazon Trio. I really enjoyed him, as he made such a pretty young woman. I think the dub made him a woman? I haven't seen anything beyond the original Dic 65 dubbed.

I'm pretty sure someone already said it, but Zoicite does not crossdress. He is effeminate but does not change sex. However he was changed into a female character in the English dub. Maybe that's where the crossdressing thought was coming from?

There was also a young boy that started crossdressing after an encounter with Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibimoon, if I remember correctly. It was in S, the tea ceremony episode, I believe.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
From Peace Maker Kurogane there was that guy who sounded and looked exactly like a woman. I hated the first few episodes so I stopped watching it but I don't think there was any particular reason for the cross-dresser to be there. I don't know what there is to like about gender bender anime unless it actually functions as a plot device or signficance like Perfect Blue.

Okay getting back to Amasa's question, I'll first mention that Souji was the reason I liked Peace Maker from the beginning. It was fun figuring out if he really was a boy or a girl in the first few episodes and especially after finding out the truth I think his behavior and feminineness is what made him a great character. He did act affectionate toward his male senpai but yes I do think that my whole following toward reversed gender and sexuality roles is a bit different from your usual yaoi fangirlism.

First of all, yaoi fans (mainly heterosexual girls) feel an attachment to beautiful men who like other men since it detaches characters from a sense of masculinity that many young women find too cliched or intimidating. In contrast my interest is something akin to a type of moe reaction that typical young men have towards innocent looking, cute girls. Except I like when those cute girls are actually boys. This is more of explanation of my interest towards crossdressing characters but in anime, which is a type of fantasy and escape, a male character can have the exact appearance of a girl but be identified as male in the story. So as a visual image the person is just as much a girl as any female character, but just the introduction of the character as a gender opposite to his/her appearance is what I find appealing (for me this usually works vice versa to what I've said where a girl has a boy's appearance, I even like rather masculine looking women).

With characters that actually change gender sometime in the anime I also have a particular separate interest in and Hazumu from Kasimasi was the most compelling example so far of how gender change plays so heavily in the plot of an anime even though it's only 1/2 of the first episode that she was actually male. It's because it's a romance anime that really asks the question; does gender truly influence love? On the surface it looks like a homosexual relationship that develops (especially for Yasuna's sake) but it becomes apparent that Yasuna felt an attraction to Hazumu when he was a boy and cared deeply for him. I don't want to give more away or continue with spoilerized text but the gist of what I'm saying is that an inner persona can have his or her own gender separate from physical appearance or preference toward another person's sex. Other gender switching anime reflects this well because even in Ranma 1/2 where it's more of a gimmick, we see that Ranma develops his own female persona that is really more a part of himself then he ever realizes.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone already said it, but Zoicite does not crossdress. He is effeminate but does not change sex. However he was changed into a female character in the English dub. Maybe that's where the crossdressing thought was coming from?

Yeah, I think that has to be what people are thinking of. Zoisite was made a female in the English dubbed version because apparently they thought American kids couldn't handle the gay relationship between Zoisite and Malachite (aka Kunzite). You can read a little more about all that here (although it does make a mention of Zoisite's "penchant for female disguises," which I don't recall.....anyone?).

Also, two manga that (to my knowledge) haven't been animated but feature gender-bending are Gacha Gacha: The Next Revolution (Del Rey) and Futaba-Kun Change! (Studio Ironcat).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer Past, I can sort of understand it and now I'm looking forward to seeing the titles you mentioned. What you said about Kasimasi reminded me a lot of Please Save My Earth where almost the exact same scenario happens. It interested me a lot but unfortunately I have first hand experience in the matter and I know for a fact that yes, gender does truly influence love.

I also find it pretty terrible that an American dub changed the gender of a character, isn't that crossing the line a bit? I trust mainstream dubs a whole lot less now that I know that about Sailor Moon.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Thanks for your answer Past, I can sort of understand it and now I'm looking forward to seeing the titles you mentioned. What you said about Kasimasi reminded me a lot of Please Save My Earth where almost the exact same scenario happens. It interested me a lot but unfortunately I have first hand experience in the matter and I know for a fact that yes, gender does truly influence love.

I also find it pretty terrible that an American dub changed the gender of a character, isn't that crossing the line a bit? I trust mainstream dubs a whole lot less now that I know that about Sailor Moon.

But you see that was "Back in the Day." To my knowledge that doesn't happen anymore. (Anything produced by 4kids, I don't count)

The first and second seasons of Sailor Moon were produced by DiC who was 4kids' predecessor. Probably not as bad as 4kids but they had similar Standards and Practices and two guys hugging and being overly familiar with each other was a bit of a no-no. They wanted the product on the air and if someone had objected (and they would have, and still might these days) the series would have had to have been taken off the air right then and there. And then many people wouldn't have gotten their start as being an anime fan.

So, know it really wasn't "crossing the line" for that period of time. At least that's IMHO.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
There's also in Escaflowne spoiler[Dilandau who is a man but is later revealed to be Allen's sister who was kidnapped and mutated into the body of a boy by Zaibach.]

Yeah, but it's gender bending nonetheless. Ranma was also originally a guy, but he changes into a she, doesn't she, erm, he? That's just the same as the character you were referring to, with different circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
So, know it really wasn't "crossing the line" for that period of time. At least that's IMHO.
I can understand why DiC cut it out but I think I would've preferred it if they had just kept Zoicite's gender the same and simply cut out his relationship with Kunzite since it's kind of obvious that Zoicite has no boobs. And then at least the dub would be closer to the manga than even the Japanese version was since they had no relationship in the manga, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I can understand why DiC cut it out but I think I would've preferred it if they had just kept Zoicite's gender the same and simply cut out his relationship with Kunzite since it's kind of obvious that Zoicite has no boobs. And then at least the dub would be closer to the manga than even the Japanese version was since they had no relationship in the manga, anyway.

I think that they would have had to cut too many scenes if they had done what you suggested and some of those scenes would have been vital to the storyline. That and it was just easier (and cheaper) to say that Zoicite was a girl since he does (did) look like a girl and has long hair in a ponytail.

To be honest, when I first watched the show, I didn't know that Zoicite was supposed to be a guy. They said Zoicite was a girl so I believed that she was. And lo, to my surprise, when I learned more about the series, Zoicite was male. While we may not agree with their decision, I still think that it was a good one.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Changing from one sex to the other, can offer a look at some of the stereotypes normally associated with ones sex. The mannerisms, the way you are supposed to feel, these all come under scrutiny when you add this to a show, (if the show has any serious bent to it). I like shows like this that make you think, and how you feel about the subject.

Other times though, it is just a gimmick. A way of creating humor or just a plot device to help carry the story in a different direction. These show can still be fun, even if they gloss over the subject.

As for other shows with some crossdressing, how about Makoto from El Hazard, I know its a bit gimmicky but, it was fun to see some of the interactions. An other is in Card Captor Sakura, when Sakura's brother, Toya has to dress up as Cinderella for a play. And later Sakura has to dress up as Prince Chaming, and Syaoran has to dress up as sleeping beauty. Very Cute!
Rhesian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
How about Edward from Cowboy Bebop? I know they cleared up that Ed's a girl, but even the writers themselves threw in a couple "I'm not quite sure" moments. My fave:spoiler[ Ed's father in Episode #24. Don't remember the exact quote, but even he became confused at one point.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8