• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-switching anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Although it does make a mention of Zoisite's "penchant for female disguises," which I don't recall.....anyone?

Only thing that comes to mind (in the anime) is when Zoicite dressed up as Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I always thought that Beruche from Sailor Moon was a boy.
wookiee2099

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the first anime movie I ever watched hasn't been mentioned yet: Project A-ko. The Captain and Agent from Project A-ko were alien women who looked and sounded like men but were really women. Classic moment when A-ko lands in the ship's laundry and sees all the bras and panties. Very Happy There was also a classmate of the girls who looked like a super-buff dude but had pigtails and dressed like a girl.

And of course the shocker in Vandread spoiler[when the second-in-command of the female crew turns out to be a man who was surgically altered to go undercover! He even had a voice-synthesizer thing...when he later sides with the women, he goes back to his woman-persona permenantly] I never saw that one coming!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Having such an interest in gender bending anime I always try to think of new ideas for anime using this concept. If I had artistic talent I would create manga that someday could be produced into anime but it seems like there's already quite a few manga out there with gender bending themes that will never see the light of day on acetate sheets. One such example is one mentioned earlier, Futaba-Kun Change!, where the main character, a boy upon his 16th birthday changes into a girl. He changes back but it seems whenever he get emotionally stressed he transforms as does all the members of his family (but it was kept a secret from him until it happened to him). He also discovers that his father was the person who actually gave birth to him (doesn't that mean he has two fathers?).

Okay here is my first idea for a potential manga (or anime):
Setting: Your everyday junior high school setting, nothing fancy.

Plot: the two main characters are a girl and a boy who meet and talk in class and become friends with the prospect of them developing a romantic relationship. They are both transfer students and in their last year of junior high. The twist is that the girl is actually a boy who had to enroll as the opposite gender for whatever reason and coincidentally the boy that he likes is actually a girl.

Story: Their relationship is platonic at first so they don't discover each other's secret but eventually they do. Then there is a third character in the picture and this person (a girl) is a childhood friend of the boy pretending to be a girl. Of course we have the childhood friend dilemma as with many anime (and she knows his secret) but the other kicker is because of the other girl there is continuous tension between the childhood friends since she also thinks she may be in love with the other "boy." Also before her friend found out he was a she, there was a period when he felt like he wanted to distance himself from her since he thought he was gay by falling in love with another boy.
jack781217

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Nobody seems to have mentioned Fuuchouin Kazuki from GetBackers. He is born in a family that require boys to act and address like girl so that they can master the skill of Fuuchouin-ryu.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
wookiee2099 wrote:

And of course the shocker in Vandread spoiler[when the second-in-command of the female crew turns out to be a man who was surgically altered to go undercover! He even had a voice-synthesizer thing...when he later sides with the women, he goes back to his woman-persona permenantly] I never saw that one coming!

I'd forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder.

The one I'm about to mention isn't anime (I think) but manga and that is W Juliet were one character has to complete High School as a woman as part of a deal with his father. Great story! I really recommend it!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
The one I'm about to mention isn't anime (I think) but manga and that is W Juliet were one character has to complete High School as a woman as part of a deal with his father. Great story! I really recommend it!

Allright, I'll check it out Smile
The premise of that one is a little similar to my manga idea above, but the main character that the gender impostor likes is an actual girl, she's just very boyish. Is there a third character involved who might be a childhood friend or a supporting character?

Here's my other manga idea that I thought about:
Setting: again a school setting this time a high school.

Plot: The main character is part of family troubled by a curse for many many generations. The curse: all members of this family are perceived by others as being the opposite gender (except for members of the family). There is a way to lift the curse and the only way to do that is for members to not marry relatives. The number of generations the curse is perpetuated depends on how distant of a relative a person in the family marries. Of course this is difficult since only family members are able to perceive others as the correct gender.

Story: As a little additional twist to this story, the main character is a girl because she has a childhood friend (usually in anime/manga that involve childhood friends, the main character is almost always male). This childhood friend is a boy who is not a relative, nor even a distant relative but he perceives his best friend as a girl just like she is. Sounds perfect but it's not since everyone else in the world sees them as two boys so they must be careful in their school lives, and many funny and interesting situations develop.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracoowl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
Hehe old memories from Sailormoon, even the Sailor Starlights and Sailor Uranus! It's sooo weird though when they switched genders during the transformation o.0.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Cheeky Angel, very cute, had sort of a DNA2 feel to it with the animation style and different facial expressions. Plus I knew immediately when I heard Megumi's voice that she/he was voiced by Megumi Hayashibara even though she puts a rather masculine tone in her voice with this character. I'm definitely going to be catching more of this anime, I'm glad that CrockPot mentioned it.

Oh, undeadben remember when I requested an Ucchan avatar because I'm such a fan of hers? One of the reasons I like her is because of her boyish side and because of her mistaken identity when she and Ranma were younger.
Marvin0007

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
kashimashi was good till the girl turned gay and then i spent time catchin' kiwis to see if theyed fly.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ok this is sort of a list thread since I'm listing highlights of anime I'm familiar with that involve a character or characters changing from one gender to the other. It also includes a few examples of crossdressing characters who primarily appear as the opposite sex throughout most of the series and are convincingly the gender that they are impersonating. With this topic (so as not to get locked) I really want to discuss more of what people think of this type of anime, if it's getting more popular or if it should be more popular and some favorable or unfavorable reactions toward this type of anime. I am a die-hard fan of gender bender anime (crossdressing, homosexuality and gender changes) but I really want to concentrate on talking about anime that involves actual physical transformation of a character's sex.

I do not think it has been mentioned here but Kasho no Tsuki fits the description. Kagetsu is something of a magical creature, he belongs to a clan whose members have to decide what gender they wish to become. He is male although at one point even he seems confused about it (milder spoiler follows) spoiler[upon being reunited with his sensei, Kagetsu is overjoyed and somewhat over-enthusiastic, leading said sensei to explicitly state that he has no interest in males. Kagetsu then replies that he is not a boy...and not a girl either]
and the action takes place during the period assigned for his transformation, making it plot relevant and all. Complications arise since he seems to be in love with his sensei who happens to be a man. Unfortunately, the anime does not focus on the gender implications as much as I would like it to but I thought it was worth mentioning nonetheless. It does however carry rather overt romantic tones between two males even though spoiler[we never get to know whether Kagetsu is on his way to become a girl and thus make the relationship a standard one or if he will remain a boy.]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Marvin0007 wrote:
kashimashi was good till the girl turned gay and then i spent time catchin' kiwis to see if theyed fly.

The girl didn't turn gay, he became a girl that was still in love with the same girl. If you are referring to the other girls, this was expression of how love doesn't change even when the person you love changes (even if that means their sex). Tomari always loved Hazumu because he naturally accepted her as a tomboy, being so girly himself and felt secure from the protection of a stronger woman.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
You caught all the ones I knew of.What about Princess Princess?It was about crossdressing.3 boys are chosen in an all boys school to become a princess.They play the role,get free meals,get love letters,It's pretty disturbing.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Amasa wrote:
From Peace Maker Kurogane there was that guy who sounded and looked exactly like a woman. I hated the first few episodes so I stopped watching it but I don't think there was any particular reason for the cross-dresser to be there. I don't know what there is to like about gender bender anime unless it actually functions as a plot device or signficance like Perfect Blue.

Okay getting back to Amasa's question, I'll first mention that Souji was the reason I liked Peace Maker from the beginning. It was fun figuring out if he really was a boy or a girl in the first few episodes and especially after finding out the truth I think his behavior and feminineness is what made him a great character.

And lest we forget, in Peacemaker there's also spoiler[ the spy Yamazaki, who has a female alter ego carefully constructed in case spoiler[ his big sister, who is also a spy, is taken out of commission, so that he can continue her work should she ever be KIA. This, of course, leads to a) the most heartbreaking episodes of the series when exactly that happens and b) one of the coolest moments of the series when he freaks out the guy who gave the go-ahead for her to be killed (reasonable under the circumstances as spies know exactly what to expect should they get caught) in a particularly brutal and sadistic manner (decidedly not cool) by showing up dressed and sounding exactly like her to exact his revenge.] ]
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You caught all the ones I knew of.What about Princess Princess?It was about crossdressing.3 boys are chosen in an all boys school to become a princess.They play the role,get free meals,get love letters,It's pretty disturbing.

I did not find it at all disturbing but I admit that I am extremely liberal regarding such matters. By the way, there actually is a live version of Princess Princess...I have yet to see it but I do wonder how they managed to pull it off as real life bishounen are hardly as easy to turn into pretty girls as their anime/manga counterparts.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has already been mentioned but apart from Utena herself there is also spoiler[Anthy acting as Mamiya during the Black Rose arc. Probably one of the strangest things in the entire series as it tends to confuse the viewer the first time around. I am not too sure whether she truly becomes a boy or if it is Mikage who projects a male identity unto her, for lack of a better expression, but at any rate she clearly appears male whenever she is seen with Mikage. More, Mikage acts as if she were indeed a boy. At one point Mikage claims that he wishes to kill Anthy and make Mamiya the new Bride to which Anthy/Mamiya replies that he is a boy. Leading Mikage to say that he is more beautiful than any girl.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8