• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-switching anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bungeeapple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
the gender-bending animes that i really love would be ouran high, cheeky angel, ranma 1/2 and le chevalier d'eon.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't exactly consider it as a gender changing anime, Urusei Yatsura has two characters that were raised as the opposite sex by their fathers.

They were Ryuunosuke Fujinami, a girl who was forced to dress and behave like a boy and Nagisa Shiowatari, a boy who behaves and dresses as a girl.
mouseycou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Anime:
Delinquent in Drag
Minami-ke
Sasameki Koto
Kampfer
Ranma 1/2 (why did everyone miss this one? Confused )
Princess Princess
.hack//SIGN (I wont put spoilers)
Blood+ (Only one part of the story)
Pico OVA (Hentai)
Happiness (Has probably one of the best in any anime)
Himawari! (Often forgotten fact in this one)
Mai Otome (Only 1 episode)
Shion no Oh
Battle Athletes OVA

Ok, now for Manga (I'm just going to post the list instead of figuring out which were said in this one):

Otome no Iroha
Magical x Miracle (I loved this one)
Pretty Face
Mint no Bokura
Marugoto Anjyu Gakuen
The Day of Revolution
Ichigo Channel
Complex (Kikuchi Kumiko)
Kanojo ga Cafe ni Kayou Wake
Kanaete Aizen
Charisma Doll
Futaba-kun Change
Ai No Shintairiku (This is actually a good story)
Fullmoon ni sasayaite (Aww, this one was somewhat sweet)
Tokyo Mew Mew à la Mode (Ruins the TMM storyline...but it has a cross dresser)
Kashimashi (It's somewhat different to the anime)
Heaven's Will (Oneshot)
Koudelka (hush, hush)
Shounen x Cinderella
Ai wo Utau Yori Ore ni Oborero! (+ sequal)
Click
Tenshi Ja Nai
Penguin Revolution (Aww, this one was funny yet sad)
Family Complex
Princess Princess
Day of Revolution (My favourite manga of all time)

(btw, if you want a Psychological manga: Akuma de Junai)
(Also, just to throw a very emotional story in: Taiyou no Uta)

Well, that's just some of them...I know more O.o
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
i dont know if this counts but its only for 1 episode. at the Girls Bravo harem series, as far as i remember where the main character got forced to wear a female cosplay/suit. all the people there thought that he was a girl and ending up that his friend touched him down there and just realized that he's a boy. Thats as far as i remember it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Reminder: threads which devolve into simple listing get locked. This one is on the platform, waiting to board the train to Locksville.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
It's also a case of necroposting that can be kind of annoying *wonders how people dig up these old threads* but I will keep it from boarding that train.

I put this thread out there to discuss that theme and reflect particular titles that are good examples of it. Since someone did revive the thread, there's been several recent shows with gender-bending themes that have come out between starting this thread and now (Kampfer, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, To Love Ru, and others), so feel free to discuss.

I like the rising popularity of traps and typecastingly girly guys in anime. Traps present a type of cuteness that toys with one's sexual orientation and visual gratification perceived due to the 2-dimensionality of a character's actual sex that isn't as pressing on our emotions as the gender of an actual 3-dimensional person.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
Has anyone mentioned Sora no Otoshimano, if you paid attention to the opening song you see a girl that that hadn't appeared but looks strangely familiar. Well episode 11 has her 'appearance', and we pretty much get a lesson why gender benders are rarely perverted.
Hyperone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The only anime of this type I have ever seen was Kampfer (very recently) and I thought the handling of it, from the perspective of the main character, was interesting. It comes off a little heavy handed relationship wise (I'll stay away from details since this is on a theme and not a show review thread).

I can't say it made me any more or less likely to watch gender-switch anime in the future. I do think it's an interesting theme to explore overall.
Treiz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
wow, 5 pages and I didn't see a mention of Lance "Yellow Dancer" Belmont of Robotech/Mospaeda. Gender bending for military gain should not go unmentioned!
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gender switching anime i can think of and that i liked.

Minami-ke, boy becomes girl, girl becomes boy.. latter in the show.

ranma 1/2 , boy becomes girl and i mean becomes.

Wagaya no Oinari-sama, fox can become male or female at will.

racked the old brain pan but i think that's all i can think of for now.
Gender bender's do not bother me as an anime fan some story lines like how minami-ke works it into the settings work.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Didn't I recently issue a warning in this thread, about listing? Yes, I think I did.

Enough. If you can't be bothered to explain your reasoning, then please don't bother to post.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xXsapphireXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Urd wrote:
Ribbon no kishi: Princess Sapphire was raised as a boy because a girl couldn't take the throne.

Im so happy someone mentioned Ribbon no kishi, even though its a super old anime i believe everyone should watch at least one episode to see the origin of shoujo anime. plus my dad named me after princess sapphire Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I do like the gender changing in To Love Ru.
They don't do anything extremely unique with the gag but it is funny and I think it is used as a knowing-wink joke to the works of Rumiko Takahashi.
The manga/anime itself takes its basic premise almost directly from Uresei Yatsura (Alien girl comes down to earth and is engaged when the boy grabs onto her horns (boobs in ToLoveRu), so it is only fitting that we have a supporting character striving to be the manliest he can be and able to defeat anyone but changes gender when he/she suffers the very common madaly of a spoiler[sneeze]. And then there's alsospoiler["Riko"] who personifies the gender bended boy aspect of Ranma in which a number of guys love the tomboyish "Female-type".
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I think a few people may have already mentioned these two:

A Day of Revelation - At the very beginning the main character finds out he was supposed to be born a girl and has a sex change. He later goes back to school under a different name. It's a good little series and I would suggest it to anyone who likes this type of story and wants something short to read.

and

Princess Princess - The three main guys go to an all boy private high school and cross dress in order to get free tuition.
Duvodas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
I watched this series maybe 6 to 9 years ago, but I never finished it. I've been looking for it everywhere, but I've had no luck. So, I came here.

I remember little of it, but here's what I remember:

There's a scene in which the protagonist (a guy) turns into a girl as he's taking a shower/is laying in the bathtub. (No, it's not "Ranma.")

The girl he's turned into turns out to be this kick-ass fight-against-crime woman.

There's another scene in which he's at school, taking a test, and he doesn't know the answers. And all of sudden his hands begin to move of their own accord and his writing down the answers at an alarming rate.

I remember it was too long to be a movie; so it could have been a series. And a mature series, too.

That's pretty much what I remember. If any of you know the name of this anime, I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8