• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-switching anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Duvodas wrote:
I watched this series maybe 6 to 9 years ago, but I never finished it. I've been looking for it everywhere, but I've had no luck. So, I came here.

I remember little of it, but here's what I remember:

There's a scene in which the protagonist (a guy) turns into a girl as he's taking a shower/is laying in the bathtub. (No, it's not "Ranma.")

The girl he's turned into turns out to be this kick-ass fight-against-crime woman.

There's another scene in which he's at school, taking a test, and he doesn't know the answers. And all of sudden his hands begin to move of their own accord and his writing down the answers at an alarming rate.

I remember it was too long to be a movie; so it could have been a series. And a mature series, too.

That's pretty much what I remember. If any of you know the name of this anime, I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me.

Thanks a bunch!

It's the Birdy the Mighty OVA which is out of print and somewhat difficult to locate. On the other hand there's a couple of series that are newer remakes which you can find pretty easily.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Duvodas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys so much! That is exactly the series I was looking for. You guys rock! Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
Funimation is releasing all 26 episodes of Birdy on dvd nov 30th.

Collection 1

Collection 2

Yep, had them on pre-order for months now. In a way the recall thing that happened was actually advantageous since we can get both seasons at the same time now. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
"Here is Greenwood" both the anime and manga. The hero arrives at a boys school some time after the term starts and finds that his dorm roommate is apparently a girl prentending to be a boy. That is not quite the case.

Yubisaki Milk Tea- manga. Boy is drafted to be a bride for a photo shoot when his older sister does't show. He ends up crossdressing on a regular basis.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
TakishidoKamen wrote:
Funimation is releasing all 26 episodes of Birdy on dvd nov 30th.

Collection 1

Collection 2

Yep, had them on pre-order for months now. In a way the recall thing that happened was actually advantageous since we can get both seasons at the same time now. Smile

Or, not going through Amazon you could already have both seasons of the Funimation Birdy the Mighty: Decode release... already received the corrected Disc 2 for season 1 and Season 2 set!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of Oreimo (thank you ANN for bringing it back) and there are slight notions of gender ambiguity (not outright switching). Kirino from the show plays little sister eroge, which are intended for guys because they are played from the perspective of the big brother. So in that respect Kirino sort of becomes a guy, but she is really vague why she likes to play them and is grossed out by the thought of actually having sexual relations with a young girl.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I just watched the first episode of Oreimo (thank you ANN for bringing it back) and there are slight notions of gender ambiguity (not outright switching). Kirino from the show plays little sister eroge, which are intended for guys because they are played from the perspective of the big brother. So in that respect Kirino sort of becomes a guy, but she is really vague why she likes to play them and is grossed out by the thought of actually having sexual relations with a young girl.

Hmmm, I didn't catch that she was grossed out by it. Actually, I think she's riding the line between being gay/bi and straight pretty darn hard. Sure she's lipstick, but there is no evidence showing she's grossed out. Especially since she buys a imouto-based hug pillow and takes it for a ride in episode 6. She IS grossed out by the suggestion that she's playing the games cause she's got bro-con tendancies.

(Honestly, I'm thinking there's some serious hints to possible feelings for Ayase and/or Kuroneko. And in Kuroneko's case, the reverse. Why else would she write fanfic about Kirino being a sex slave of her self-insertion fanfic cell phone novel?)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Hmmm, I didn't catch that she was grossed out by it. Actually, I think she's riding the line between being gay/bi and straight pretty darn hard. Sure she's lipstick, but there is no evidence showing she's grossed out. Especially since she buys a imouto-based hug pillow and takes it for a ride in episode 6. She IS grossed out by the suggestion that she's playing the games cause she's got bro-con tendancies.

(Honestly, I'm thinking there's some serious hints to possible feelings for Ayase and/or Kuroneko. And in Kuroneko's case, the reverse. Why else would she write fanfic about Kirino being a sex slave of her self-insertion fanfic cell phone novel?)

Having only seen the 1st episode, it's just a big speculation on my part about Kirino's sexuality. The fact that she plays ero games for guys doesn't necessarily indicate whether she is straight or not, but I see her as possibly embodying more of a gender-flexible personality. So she can deny IRL attraction to girls (not sure if that denial is fake or real), but still have very male otakuish interests.

I guess I misinterpreted her reaction when her brother asked about it: I thought she was grossed out about getting into a relationship as a "big brother" with another girl, not being a girl in a relationship with her brother.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll ever find out what the hell Chrona (from Soul Eater) is?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:

I think she's an anime character.

Perhaps she/he might be a hermaphrodite. If I recall correctly (I don't recall much of Soul Eater because it goes downhill after the first 5 episodes or so), he/she did give hints of being either, didn't she/he tee hee? Although I've always considered he/she a she.
I guess the part of having no boobies is her/his circumstances male counterpart.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
I dislike when people use "what" or "it" when referring to people who have ambiguous or dual sex/gender. Please specify what the "what" is you are talking about, such as asking "what gender Chrona is?"
Taigakaka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Its not that Kirino is confused of her sexuality. The series heavily implies that Kirino has been in "love" (at minimal of affection) for Kyousuke, her older brother. Her little sister obsession is probably her own way to relieve the stress of not being able to confess to her brother.

Why couldnt Kirino confess to Kyousuke? Its socially unacceptable, and Kirino is seen trying to hide her "dirty" hobbies from everyone.

In this case, kirino is a complete Tsundere. She doesnt understand her feelings anymore, yet, she unconsciously regrets herself.

In my opinion, kirino plays these eroges to take her positiin as Kyousuke, and make the little sisters (who are symbols for kirino) fall in love with each other. That way, these little sisters wont have to suffer like she did.

As time passed on though, she probably lost her purpose and just joined over to the dark side.

As for Ayase and Ruri... God i hate that yandere so much... Its only an one sided love for now.

Ruri however poses rivalry and friendship for kirino. Later on, Ruri (kuroneko) begins to fall for Kyousuke as well. she's also in the interest of anime opposite of kirino. Its like get a precure fanatic and a higurashi fanatic and have them talk about something in common. Nothing really. However, these two are very reserved when it comes to showing their trueselves. So, they can relate to each other as friends
Sypoth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
6 pages and yet nobody has yet to mention Goury from Slayers, or the running gag that every 17 episodes for the first three seasons he would be forced to dress up as a girl. Or how in Slayers Next it turns out that a village that is very strictly a "Girls Only" village has a population almost entirely made-up of cross dressing guys with only the village chief being a woman.

The real reason I'm here though is that there is an anime I saw the preview for several years ago, I forgot what it was called, but it has several middle-school girls who are normal on the outside, but when things start to happen they go through a magical girl transformation... Into adult men with guns that usually take care of the situation. If someone could tell me the name of this show I'd greatly appreciate it.
Yuki Fenikkusu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Why can I find no anime like Kampfer and I mean where he switches right out none of this oh no I fell in a cold pond now I'm a girl I mean like no reasoning behind he just changes.

Tai Pinch!

Smile Yuki
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8