• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Sell The Story of Saiunkoku DVD on August 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
It's different from FY. FY is an adventure while Saiunkoku is a drama. I like Saiunkoku! It sends a positive message and I like how they explain the story piece by piece.
JediJaina

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that anyone could make any comparison of Saiunkoku with Fushigi Yuugi. I found the only anime that's even comparable is 12 Kingdoms. The incredible thing about this show is that it ropes you in with great looking characters yet there is a far more complicated plot going on that gets you into the story. I hope to have the money to buy this title and I'm really intrigued as to who they'll pick as the English VA's.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

*spazzflail*

*fangirls!*

Ehehehe. Sorry. I just HAD to get that out. *grins sheepishly*

I am so ridiculously excited about this news, I didn't think it would be licensed and am THRILLED to be proven wrong. And by Geneon no less!

I adore Fushigi Yuugi in all its fluffy glory, but there's really no comparison to SaiMono, at least in terms of story and quality. Yes, it's fun to see the FY cast reuinited in another ancient chinese fable, but SaiMono is so much more complex and mature, with a complicated plot and a myriad of characters each with their own agenda. It's dramatic and involving, and often quite hilarious. Along with Ouran and Suzumiya Haruhi this was my favourite series of last year, and it just keeps getting better with every episode. I really hope it finds an audience here and is a success for Geneon. Smile

*still squeeing just a little* Mr. Green (You'd never know I was a sane, rational adult from all this squealing, would you... ;- )
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite happy with this as well. Being Chinese myself, I enjoy watching anime that has a historical Chinese setting (this was how I was lured into Saiunkoku), and after a few episodes, Saiunkoku became very enjoyable for me to watch. Shurei is a very likable heroine IMO, and her interactions with the other men are quite amusing at times. The humour was a little quirky to me, but fitting nonetheless.

I only watched up to around Episode 20 for the subs. Perhaps this might be an opportune time to continue the series. Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Saiunkoku Monogatari, but sadly, I think I'm going to have to wait a while before I get this one, especially since MariMite is practically guaranteed at this point and odds are looking good for Nanoha.
imrhien

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This news completely made my day!
Yay! *joins in fangirlish squealing*
I love this show so much, I really hope it does well. I just think it's great to actually see a shoujo heroine whose interests extend beyond romance, marriage and kids. Don't get me wrong, I love some of that fluffy shoujo stuff - but I really hope this does become popular, I think Shuurei is a great heroine and SaiMono is a great series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

*spazzflail*

*fangirls!*

Ehehehe. Sorry. I just HAD to get that out. *grins sheepishly*

*still squeeing just a little* Mr. Green (You'd never know I was a sane, rational adult from all this squealing, would you... ;- )

I joined you a little there.

I saw this in an issue of NEWTYPE last year and instantly thought that it would be something that I would enjoy. And since it looks like several others have seen and enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to this title!

And since I enjoy the heck out of Fushigi Yugi and that several VAs from that series who are also some of my favorite VAs anyway are on this series...well, that's just icing!
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
I also thought it was a Fushigi Yuugi copy so I didn't want to watch it at first (nothing can replace Fushigi Yuugi..) but my friend kept forcing me to watch it. It turned out to be really interesting, and the only thing that's similar between the two series is the ancient china setting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I also thought it was a Fushigi Yuugi copy so I didn't want to watch it at first (nothing can replace Fushigi Yuugi..) but my friend kept forcing me to watch it. It turned out to be really interesting, and the only thing that's similar between the two series is the ancient china setting.

Well, if you, you FY fangirl you, enjoyed this series, then I know I'll enjoy it.
mizducky

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
I love this series so much. I'm very happy that it got enough attention to get a second season.

However, I'm very disappointed that Geneon got this title. Their treatment of recent R1 releases has been appalling. As much as I would like to support the American release of this series, I can not put my money in the hands of people that can't even make sure that English voices are done by Americans.

Previously I would be glad when Geneon got a series due to the fact that they used to put out a good product. With their current practice of taking every opportunity to cut corners, I fear for what will happen to the series that I love.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
mizducky wrote:
I love this series so much. I'm very happy that it got enough attention to get a second season.

However, I'm very disappointed that Geneon got this title. Their treatment of recent R1 releases has been appalling. As much as I would like to support the American release of this series, I can not put my money in the hands of people that can't even make sure that English voices are done by Americans.

Previously I would be glad when Geneon got a series due to the fact that they used to put out a good product. With their current practice of taking every opportunity to cut corners, I fear for what will happen to the series that I love.

????
Does it matter if it's Ocean? Canadians live in North America, too. I had no problem with the Samurai Horror title when I watched it last week. Yeah, Miroku & Kikyo sprang to mind, but it was enjoyable. Lame excuse/ I always figure whether the dub is messed up or not, one can always do subtitled so it's no loss. There are far worse dubs handled by American groups than stuff one hears out of Ocean.

I was thinking Saiyuki was over after receiving the 7th Gunlock dvd & with Kyo Kara Maoh in the 2nd season, I would finally be able to start doing box sets as I keep threatening to do & then Geneon slips this one in.

And when I noticed this one a year or so back, the first thing I thought of was Fushiigi Yugi (no, I haven;t seen it)-as in Bishie harem title like Angelique. I bet Geneon's hoping it taps the same fanbase as Fushigi Yugi & Saiyuki. I track voice actors as my way of picking anime since they often get cast in certain types of titles. Since Mr Seki is my daughter's fav, I look over titles he's attached to so I'm familiar with names when they're licensed. If the FY association gets the title checked out by fans, there's no real harm because if the title is good, it will stand on it's own.
JediJaina

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Anyone want to take a shot at English VA dub casting?
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
jetz wrote:

Well, if you, you FY fangirl you, enjoyed this series, then I know I'll enjoy it.

Laughing Can't say I liked it as much as FY though. I still prefer Nuriko over Seiran Laughing Although, Shuurei is a lot more likable than Miaka. They look similar, but Shuurei's packed with more brains and courage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
JediJaina wrote:
Anyone want to take a shot at English VA dub casting?

If they just listenced it then they probably don't have the actors yet. They probabaly put out the audition notices out, but I don't think they have decided on the cast.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Heck yes. I love Saiunkoku.

But that's going to be a bugger to translate, I fear. I hope they keep more Chinese terms rather than trying to translate or keep the Japanese term (can you imagine them translating erhu as "two string violin" or something?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3