• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-04]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hm... not much worth saying this week... Zac handled it pretty well.

The rant was good. I personally don't have problems with anything being censored, unless it's the DVD release, but it's true that too often, american otakus jump at shadows in the dark. And the fact that their arguments are usually illogical doesn't help them either.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
On the poor English (or any foreign language) of the Japanese part: if you have read the original release of Gunslinger Girl manga, a chapter has "Spanish Open Space" as part of its title. I thought "where the heck is that place" until I later realized it was a very literal, double translation of Piazza di Spagna. Glad to see ADV corrected the error.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
The Flake: I think he confusing people who write reviews with crazy people who come up to you in the store and tell you which stuff you should and shouldnt buy and why. Let me edit his comment to make sense:

here is why people even write reviews, i mean even to spite getting obnoxious responses like this

I dont need to hear what people think of anime, I just watch what I want to watch and that's it, why do I need someone telling me what is worth checking out? I like wasting money on Anime that sounds interesting but actually sucks and missing out on anime thats really goood but not very well known. I dont read reviews because I never know when my feelings might be hurt because I lack the ability to deal with someone saying a series I like is bad.

I totally see why others find reviews very helpful because it will allow them to get an idea of what might be worth seeing. we the anime fans decide wether we want to read reviews. No one is forcing us.

Steroid wrote:
And I guess I'm one of the vocal contingent that doesn't like it when subtitles differ from printed works. [b]It punctures the reality. If the ship has Velaciela written on it somewhere, then that's the name of the ship in the continuum of the story. Subtitling it differently is like walking in to a movie theater, flicking on the lights, and saying, "you know, this is all CG, the actor didn't really fall off the building."

That just struck me as funny. Talking about a fictional show "puncturing reality".
I also gotta give that analogy a big old "what the heck?". In what way is that similar?

Steroid wrote:
On the rant: I don't want the mainstream to accept anime fans or desist from making fun of them. I want the mainstream to fear us. I want them to consider anime fans as they do college professors or scientists or high-culture mavens. I want them to defer to our opinions when their own are inadequate. I want the non-fan to feel humble in the presence of the fan.

Shouldnt you be in out on a ledge somewhere? Or perhaps more appropriately, In a bookstore bothering some poor guy who just wants to buy a copy of Karekano?
Bluestreak2

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
Speaking of bookstores, I wish I could write a rant about people who take a book from the manga section and sit down to read it right in the middle of the aisle or next to the shelf. Perhaps this isn't as widespread as I think, but it's been happening more and more lately to me. If you don't want to pay for the manga, that's your business and I don't care, but at least try to avoid acting oblivious to people around you. An "excuse me" typically illicits an evil eye and a barely noticeable shuffling of position.

Oh yes, this happens EVERYWHERE to my knowledge. I have infact seen Borders put up signs along their manga section asking poeple to not sit and read in the aisle. And of course at the same time see 3 poeple sitting along there RIGHT infront of the section I would like to browse. -_-
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Eric wrote:
What anime is being featured in the banner? It looks familiar, but I can't just can't place it.

It's from the new anime "Claymore".
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
On the rant: I don't want the mainstream to accept anime fans or desist from making fun of them. I want the mainstream to fear us. I want them to consider anime fans as they do college professors or scientists or high-culture mavens. I want them to defer to our opinions when their own are inadequate. I want the non-fan to feel humble in the presence of the fan.

Talk about elitism. Lets break that down a bit. You want people who dont share your taste in TV to feel inferior to you because you like watching anime and they dont? What the heck is that? There are many things I like. But I dont go around claiming to be superior to everyone else just because they dont happen to share my interests.
And to say that anime fans should be put on the same pedestal as professors and scientists? "Because I watch alot of Japanese Cartoons, I am just as impressive as someone who has devoted their entire life and career to science and has studied extensivly to get where they are"? I think not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

Hahahahaha. Oh Steroid, you so crazy.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I don't want the mainstream to accept anime fans or desist from making fun of them. I want the mainstream to fear us.

Good old Steroid, you never cease to amuse me... And I can't stop laughing at this...
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Acinom

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Eric wrote:
What anime is being featured in the banner? It looks familiar, but I can't just can't place it.

T'would be Claymore.

Superb rant. However there isn't much that can be done (once a person in our subculture becomes convinced that they're a victim they gain a sense of self-importance and it becomes very hard to convince them otherwise and that society, in general, just doesn't give a shit) . One can only hope that such people will one day mature enough to start worrying about and contemplating subjects of greater value. These types seem to forget that it would not benefit anime/manga distributers to harass their consumers (as much fun as it is).

But then again it's probably better that the whiners and bitchers of our subculture remain ignorant. Perhaps we'll have the pleasure of reading their names in the Darwin Awards someday.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Fearing us would be like fearing every other thing that paranoid soccer moms don't understand as well as people petitioning to get things banned from TV and so forth Rolling Eyes
I see where the flake is going as far as their opinion on reviews, because I've seen reviews here on ANN that I can't agree with, but the way they wrote it, doesn't make themselves look good.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
As far as the RANT-Preach it. This mass persecution complex drives me crazy!

Ah My Goddess- Well I am pleasantly surprised to hear so many come to the defense of strong woman and reject the passive doormat as the ideal. Maybe there is hope for my love life after all.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Eric wrote:

'Tis Claymore. That banner was made by yours truly by the way. Mr. Green Funny that Zac mentioned the size thing. I had to shorten/speed up the Claymore banner because it was over 2 MB initially.

I got a chuckle while reading the rant. The girl described might even be "Flake of the Week" worthy. But still, I agree. This whole "persecution complex" doesn't make any sense to me. As pointed out in the rant usually there are reasons for manga being removed or shows being preempted and whatnot. It's just part of society. We're not being targeted at all. But, like the rant's author said, if we keep crying bloody murder, it will most like become true eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
That was a fabulous rant. I remember browsing through the forums during the whole Eureka 7 rant and thinking people just needed to relax a bit. Some were acting as though it was the end of the world. It was a little sad.

And I for one love anime reviews...gives me a good idea as to whether or not the DVD is worth buying. Thanks to the recent Peach Girl review I know that the dub isn't that great and that there's an dubbed english opening on the dub track. It was rather informative.

The kiwi bird is love. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Nice job on the banner Jedi General. Sort of nice to see Zac mention someone else's name...not to knock the several other excellent banners done by the other person.

I didn't realize that we the few, the persecuted. Why wasn't I told about this. I mean really, one would that that such a serious anime fandom problem would have been ANN front page news by now. Rolling Eyes

Hey, like JG and others said, stuff gets removed from libraries all the time. I read a book that was labled Young Adult...trust me, nowhere near. I brought it to the attention of the librarians and the book was removed from that section and in the section it belonged. So, if some parent saw nudity and/or language that they didn't approved of for the age group, then yes, it will be removed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14