• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci Fi Channel Launches Monday Night Anime Block

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
they haven't showed anime on that channel since....the mid 90s?

i wonder what shows though? reruns of stuff that been seen a million times or new releases?
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Frickin' Awesome!

More anime on cable is never a bad thing. Anyone vaguely remember when Sci Fi used to show anime movies? I hope they choose some really good shows to get people drawn in.

Any suggestions on what they should take? I can't really think of any at the moment. Presumably they would want "Sci Fi" related and probably "mature" (as opposed to a comedy series). A lot of shows that would make sense to them (S-cry-ed, Gundam, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Eureka 7, Samurai Seven, Now and Then Here and There, etc) have already been shown or are being shown on other channels.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a weekly two-hour block of anime programming. Episodes, films, and other content for the block will be provided by Manga Entertainment,

I wonder if there's talking about putting Noein and Tokko on, seeing as how there isn't a lot of series that Manga holds. GITS is already on [AS] hell maybe they'll put Astroboy on. As far as movies go, Highlander seems like a lock and also seems like your aiming at the right group of people with that choice. Otherwise I am sure we'll being seeing lots of classic like Appleseed, Virus, and Street Fighter....

Also with [AS] putting more crap on their network I think that this is a pretty good option for anime fans seeing as how Eureka 7 is over, GITS also over and I don't have any desire to watch Bleach on a weekly basis, this is a nice opportunity for Sci-Fi.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Come on Witchblade Shocked even though they dont own it maybe they can make it happen

Thrilled over this. I finally get a channel that wil have anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Come on Witchblade Shocked even though they don't own it maybe they can make it happen

Hell there's always a chance Funimation has anime on other channels (IFC) beside [AS] and Sci-fi would be the perfect fit might I add. TNT should of found a way to move that series to Sci-fi rather then cancel it, it was still pulling in good cable rating at the time.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see some Classic Gundam*cough0079cough*, along with Wing, G, and maybe even Zeta. Maybe they'll show the newer Astro Boy cartoon that aired on the WB back in the 90's. I'd love to see them show Crest/Banner/Battleflag of the Stars, I love that series, wish G4 hadn't canned their anime block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I wonder if there's talking about putting Noein and Tokko on, seeing as how there isn't a lot of series that Manga holds. GITS is already on [AS] hell maybe they'll put Astroboy on. As far as movies go, Highlander seems like a lock and also seems like your aiming at the right group of people with that choice. Otherwise I am sure we'll being seeing lots of classic like Appleseed, Virus, and Street Fighter....

Whoops, didn't read the release correctly. It's only Manga that's providing the shows. In that case, I wouldn't mind checking out Noein or Tokko, seeing as how I can barely find these series in the stores I frequent.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
(S-cry-ed, Gundam, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Eureka 7, Samurai Seven, Now and Then Here and There, etc)

Wow, every show you mentioned other than 'Samurai 7' and 'Now and Then' are owned by Bandai-Ent, not Manga Entertainment. And I'm not even sure about 'Now and Then'. My copies say U.S. Manga Corps., which I think is part of Manga-Ent., but I'm not sure. To see what kind of series/ovas/movies might actually make it on Sci-Fi channel, check this site: http://www.manga.com/

And yes, I do remember back in the early- to mid-ninties when Sci-Fi used to show anime movies at 6 am on Saturday mornings. And there's one that I thought was really good, that I cannot remember the name... oh well.
0987654321a

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I checked the SCI Fi channel and the first anime is "GHOST IN THE SHELL: SOLID STATE SOCIETY"
http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=11-JUN-2007&feed_req=
then it it goes to regular series
June 18 & Jun. 25
11:00 PM NOEIN
11:30 PM TOKKO
12:00 AM MACROSS PLUS
skygtr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
I'd like to see some Classic Gundam*cough0079cough*, along with Wing, G, and maybe even Zeta. Maybe they'll show the newer Astro Boy cartoon that aired on the WB back in the 90's. I'd love to see them show Crest/Banner/Battleflag of the Stars, I love that series, wish G4 hadn't canned their anime block.

MangaEnt doesn't hold the license to any of those series...
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
AH, that's great, I wonder what they're going to show, I haven't seen anime on that channel in YEARS. I hope they don't show Tokko Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Anything that competes with Adult Swim is a good thing and should be supported.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:
Come on Witchblade Shocked even though they don't own it maybe they can make it happen

Hell there's always a chance Funimation has anime on other channels (IFC) beside [AS] and Sci-fi would be the perfect fit might I add. TNT should of found a way to move that series to Sci-fi rather then cancel it, it was still pulling in good cable rating at the time.

Witchblade is one of the biggest series i'm looking foward too and it would be a perfect fit for scifi. Hopefully they will broadcase more then just stuff licensed by themselves.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Cool.

Lets see; Appleseed OAV, Blood tLV, Giant Robo OAV, Macross Plus & II, Karas, Black Jack, Crying Freeman (maybe), Castle of Cagliostro (maybe), Perfect Blue (maybe), Noein, Tokko, ROD OAV ([as] might still have the rights to that though), Tactics (maybe), Wings of Honneamise (hopefully for the love of God(I know, I know they lost it, but I can hope)), Rayearth OAV, Virus Buster Serge, X. To name a few.

They lost some of there better ones though.

This is still cool though, hopefully they will bring in some more companies, and not just be exclusive.

teh*darkness wrote:
My copies say U.S. Manga Corps., which I think is part of Manga-Ent., but I'm not sure.

U.S.M.C. is a CPM Distributor I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

Hm... I've already heard rumors that [as] has this series for airing. Could be false, w/e... but I don't like that it starts at 11 pm... [as] doesn't show anime on weeknights until after midnight, and I don't get off work until 11, so if Sci-Fi shows anything that I actually want to watch at 11, that would be a very sad thing...

Edit> Ah, thanks for that, Dargonxtc. Smile

Last edited by teh*darkness on Sat May 05, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5