• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket's Final Tally in Japan: 18 Million Sold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
WOW! That is a lot of manga! 18 million! That number, in some cities and even states/countries, would mean 1 book per person!

Too bad it wasn't #1...YET!
Zanoni

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is great news!! I've never read the manga but I fell in love with the Anime. Maybe this is a good sign for them making the second season of the anime as well!!

I had heard some time ago that the thing that would make a second season possibe would be proof that there is still strong interest for the franchise. Here's hoping.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Though you have to consider that a person isn't generally going to only buy one volume of the series, so its more like 800,000 people that actually own the whole series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Zanoni wrote:
Wow this is great news!! I've never read the manga but I fell in love with the Anime. Maybe this is a good sign for them making the second season of the anime as well!!

I had heard some time ago that the thing that would make a second season possibe would be proof that there is still strong interest for the franchise. Here's hoping.

I don't think that there will be a "second season" because when you read the manga, you will see that some of the plot lines started in the anime do not exactly correspond with the manga plot lines.

IF (and that's a BIG if) someone decides to do something about another Fruits Basket anime, I'm hoping that they will start over from the beginning and just do a remake...

I'm not going to hold my breath though.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Very impressive news! Hopefully, this makes the anime directors aware that Fruits Basket is still very marketable. Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think that there will be a "second season" because when you read the manga, you will see that some of the plot lines started in the anime do not exactly correspond with the manga plot lines.

i agree and japanese are not into making sequel for old series that much.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Zanoni wrote:

I'd heard something similar as well, and I'm hoping this will help to spur the Japanese animation and production companies to revisit the project.

I joined an online petition some time ago which was started by a fellow furuba fan who was aiming to acquire other fans' signatures and send the final tally of votes (whatever number that may be) to FUNimation where they could relay the petition's results to the Japanese companies respectively. http://www.petitiononline.com/fb2/petition.html

I've no idea if this will have any impact on the series' possible continuation or not, but I think it's a good start.
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Normally I'd consider this the time to start hoping too, but even huge Fruits Basket fans seem to mostly agree that the manga has just diverged too much from the anime in some areas to bring the anime in line with the manga again. In particular, I think it would be almost impossible to reconcile Shigure and Akito's manga versions to their anime conterparts in the series as it stands now if the intention would be to follow the manga fairly faithfully.

There's also the possibility of the anime diverging considerably from the manga in some areas, but I think that would be very difficult to do as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
A representative from Funi told me that currently there are no plans to make that second season, with what information they have from over there. I'm not surprised, seeing how the anime ended, if they were to ever make another season they would have to start over, like Lydia said. But they made it so long ago, the series is done and over with, and Takaya Natsuki I bet you is reluctant to let them make another series, she didn't like the last one.
Fruitietooty1234

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 18 million sold it alot. i bought the whole series, and some are in japanese... But 18 million is alot. I do not believe that they will make a second series, because what kind of conflict would they have?? Do you mean a second series for the manga or the anime? If manga, there wouldn't be a strong plot line... Since they pretty much finished it with the 23 volume. But, if they did, i would definitely read it Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Fruitietooty1234 wrote:
Wow, 18 million sold it alot. i bought the whole series, and some are in japanese... But 18 million is alot. I do not believe that they will make a second series, because what kind of conflict would they have?? Do you mean a second series for the manga or the anime? If manga, there wouldn't be a strong plot line... Since they pretty much finished it with the 23 volume. But, if they did, i would definitely read it Very Happy

You may have misunderstood or I'm misunderstanding you. 18 million copies were sold in JAPAN. That is NOT counting what has been sold elsewhere.

As for the mythological second series, we are referring to an anime series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
The title of the thread and the article reads: Fruits Basket Final Tally in Japan: 18 Million sold.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
A representative from Funi told me that currently there are no plans to make that second season, with what information they have from over there. I'm not surprised, seeing how the anime ended, if they were to ever make another season they would have to start over, like Lydia said. But they made it so long ago, the series is done and over with, and Takaya Natsuki I bet you is reluctant to let them make another series, she didn't like the last one.

Really? Well, that's certainly discouraging. But we can all still hope, right? *sigh*

So Ms. Takaya didn't approve of the anime? Hmm.. Did she say anything to that affect, like in an article or interview?
Samurai Drifter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I really despise Fruits Basket, but it is impressive that the most popular manga in America sells 10% as well as it did in Japan.

Now if only we could get on the New York Times bestseller list... (i.e. the only one most people care about...)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
So Ms. Takaya didn't approve of the anime? Hmm.. Did she say anything to that affect, like in an article or interview?

WOrd out there was she didn't like how spoiler[they ended it and the fact that Akito ended up being a guy and he was even going to die.] There was some website out there that had it but I can't remember which one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1