• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touka Gettan Anime Airing Episodes in Reverse Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I think that it can be attribute to MoHS raging success

Not really. Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito was told in a convoluted way, as well, and, if I'm not mistaken, that one came out long before Haruhi was even conceived of. I think it's just a trait of anime adapted from Orbit-Soft visual novels, which seem to be rather confusing on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
YamiBou didn't have any issues with its chronology, it was just confusing due to the anime apparently removing a whole lot of material. The little background summary the fansubs included at the beginning of each episode helped a bit, but it was still confusing. But they didn't air things out of order or anything like that.
dojikyo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yami did tell some parts out of order. It starts in the present, goes into the past when explaining how Eve first met the villain, then comes back to the present.

I swear, as much as I like MoHS, it isn't the first anime to play with the traditional plot structure. Higurashi had a far more creative plot structure.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Same thing done with Haruhi Suzumiya.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Saga_Darklight wrote:
I knew something was wrong with that series...
But wait a minute... Kino's Journey was told the same way....

Uhh, what? Are you talking about the novels, or the anime? If you're talking about anime, then I have to point out that (with the exception of the Colisseum arc which was aired/released in the 'right' order) all of the episodes are self-contained and it wouldn't matter what order they were aired in. The chapters in each novel are rearranged a little, but it's more of an in media res thing than flipping the order around for no specific reason.

frentymon wrote:
And here I thought, basking in my ignorance, that Touka Gettan was some uninspired romance-oriented fusion/knockoff of Tsukihime and HanTsuki, another cheap production buried in the shadow of superior works, that would just fade away into the bin of forgotten anime once it's finished its run.

But to air the entire series backwards? That's a bold move, and hardly something I can attribute to uninspired.

Touka Gettan is a spin-off/sequel of Kao no nai Tsuki which was released in December 2000, three years before HanTsuki even started being published, and about the same time as Tsukihime was released (though since it was a doujin game it didn't get much attention for at least a year after it was first released).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder if you watch it the "right way" 26--->1 if it will be just as fluid, if not more so? I may just wait until all the episodes come out and watch it "backwards"

I hope I'm doing this all right, I'm so confused right now @~@
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Same thing done with Haruhi Suzumiya.

No it wasn't. Haruhi was aired in a more random order so that the chronological events fit a more conventional plot structure (exposition, rising action, climax, etc.), while Touka Gettan is just outright being told in reverse. Though Haruhi was out of order, it was still in such a way that you had a beginning, a middle, and end, where Touka Gettan is quite blatantly going end, middle, beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shh227

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I've just seen the rating of touka getan and its not that good. Why don't people just don't understand that this show is giong backwards. People who are confused are pretty musch hate this show. I have seen at least 6 episodes now and trust me this show is less confusing than even sola right now. The animations and art are better than other otaku animes right now (At least that is my opininon). I think though they should have explained to us early that the episodes were giong in a revese order. Bu I don't know really thats how people are when they rate anime just see 1st episode and give it the worst ever.

Sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Maybe people understand its going backwards and still don't like it? Even if they don't, that doesn't mean its wrong for them not to like it. Just because something goes out of order doesn't mean its good.
shh227

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
Thats true but I don't know the animations looked better than other otaku shows. I guess it is simply not popular enough like lucky star is and touka gettan is simply just aimed for one segment of fans. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2