• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seiji Horibuchi, Chairman of Viz Media

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It might depend on the title, but for now we're doing limited theatrical engagements in major cities such as New York, Chicago, Seattle, Portland and San Francisco.

What about L.A.?! We put Miike on the map, in spite of your inability to market Dead Or Alive. And we helped hype Kamikaze Girls. Not to mention that no one knew about Linda Linda Linda until you screened it at the last VC Fest. So why are you refusing to give Densha Otoko and Ping Pong a theatrical release here?!

Quote:
All the theatres we're working with are art houses which are comfortable with showing foreign movies with English subtitles. Unfortunately in the United States, where a handful of major theatre chains always rule, it is very rare and difficult to get subtitled foreign movies into traditional theatrical wide release, like many Hollywood movies.

Try the upcoming Landmark theater in West L.A. or the New Beverly.
Shougo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
man! couldn't they ask if they were going to release NANA anytime soon?!
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Jdorama?

EXCELLENT.

I normally hate Viz, but... YES. Screw translation quality, I just need to see more movies and dorama stateside. Yes.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The whole "j-pop movies" sounds a bit off-putting, but if he means stuff like Kamekaze Girls or Linda Linda Linda then I'm cool. I really hope they give the brilliant Taste of Tea a nice DVD package.

Interesting that he referenced the Ping Pong and even called it a masterpiece. Could it be that they're planning to release it stateside? If so that would really make my year (even if they should finish No.5 first).
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha: Um, the Ping Pong thing on dvd's been mentioned since a few months ago at ANS. Anyway, I'm just wondering if they're gonna get Shiki-jitsu.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
So just movies, not Jdoramas? Hopefully if they do well, they'll start on Japanese live action TV shows (Please God, Give me More Time, GTO Live-Action) but for right now I really want them to bring the live action movie of Deep Love- Ayu Monogatari, it looks so good.
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Someone wake me when they license Garo and start airing it on sci-fi............
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kagemusha: Um, the Ping Pong thing on dvd's been mentioned since a few months ago at ANS. Anyway, I'm just wondering if they're gonna get Shiki-jitsu.

I'm talking about the manga: "Ping Pong, a movie based on Taiyo Matsumoto's masterpiece comic."
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the manga's inevitable, too, since it's owned by Shogakukkan.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm sure the manga's inevitable, too, since it's owned by Shogakukkan.

I wouldn't say inevitable since Viz has been reluctant to publish anything that isn't for teenagers over the past few years. I'm guessing that a lot hinges on the Tekkon reprint selling well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They published Blue Spring, even though Tekkon Kinkreet wasn't that big. And I doubt Artsmagic made that much money off the movie. Ping Pong sounds like it's more marketable than those two.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Ping Pong is easily Matsumoto Taiyo's best book.
No. 5, fascinating as it is, is probably his least coherent long work.

Shiki-jitsu is about as unpop as humanly possible.

I'm hoping they can figure out a way to bring Trick over...even if just the movies.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They published Blue Spring, even though Tekkon Kinkreet wasn't that big. And I doubt Artsmagic made that much money off the movie. Ping Pong sounds like it's more marketable than those two.

Yeah, but it sold like crap and they probably wouldn't have published anything else if it weren't for the film. I don't doubt that there are people within the company who want to publish stuff like that, but lately they've been much more willing to put out another shojo romance/vampire manga rather than try to expand their audience. Of course that all seems to be changing right now...

Quote:
Ping Pong is easily Matsumoto Taiyo's best book.

Eh, I've still got Tekkon and Hanaotoko ranked above it, but not by much. They're all pretty much brilliant in my book.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Hanaotoko is a close second.

Did you ever try GoGoMonster? It starts out wonderfully, but towards the end there's just page after page of almost all black panels, crosshatched so you peer at them trying, but not quite able to make out any shapes through the gloom. A bit frustrating.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I love J movies and dramas, even if some of them are whiney/sappy and someone always dies of some rare disease nobody heard of til five minutes ago. (Sorry, I just don't like a lot of the Japanese sad dramas) But who cares - the Densha Otoko movie's coming, maybe if the JDrama thing happens, we'll see US releases for Dekichatta Kekkon and Gokusen live action!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2