Forum - View topic
NEWS: Simoun Yuri Anime Reportedly Licensed by Media Blasters


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3815

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
It makes me wonder if this going to be bilingual or sub-only. *sigh*

Since Media Blasters seems to be going on a yuri splurge, I can imagine Strawberry Panic or Yamibou is coming up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Probably sub-only, given that their most recent releases have been lacking an English dub. *sigh* I didn't even like Simoun. I'd have preferred Venus Versus Virus, Strawberry Panic or even Maria-sama ga Miteru. But here's hoping you're right about the "yuri splurge." It would be nice to have some more licensed yuri.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3815

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Ehhh, you might want to scratch off Venus Versus Virus and just wait for the manga. The anime became a total let-down overall (obviously they adapted it when the manga only has about 4 volumes out and ongoing).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
I see. I guess I'll have to see for myself then. I liked the first few episodes. I just hadn't gotten around to continuing yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 3911
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
MAN!!! Talk about timing. I knew it would get licensed eventually, but the question was who was going to do it? Didn't expect Media Blasters to do it. But then again if no one else was pushing towards it then, it would have to be them by chance.

I'm really curious to know how well this series fared to both the Japanese and fans that watched it "raw" or "fansubbed"? From what I saw of it so far it's definitely something fans of "yuri-fandom" would love.

I always thought the designs were great, and the story interesting. But I have yet to really delve into it. I was very curious about it when it was reviewed awhile back in an older issue of Newtype USA. But it got such small coverage. I guess now that it's been licensed it will have bigger coverage now. I'll be checking out the series later this week (not to mention free up over 4GB of space from my external HDD). By the end I'll know if this series is "shelf worthy" for me. Razz Maybe I'll even recommend it to my job. Wink

Hopefully, 'Strawberry Panic' won't be far behind. Now that I wouldn't mind having.


Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm really curious to know how well this series fared to both the Japanese and fans that watched it "raw" or "fansubbed"? From what I saw of it so far it's definitely something fans of "yuri-fandom" would love.


I'm a fan of yuri and like I already said, I didn't like it. I watched one episode and dropped it. It just didn't interest me. I didn't like the designs and the story seemed boring.

Chrno2 wrote:
Hopefully, 'Strawberry Panic' won't be far behind. Now that I wouldn't mind having.


Yup, me too. I really like Panic, based on the first few episodes that I've had time to watch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I didn't know about Yamibou until just now. Thanks, darkchibi07, for mentioning it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
I'm experiencing the paradoxical feeling of being simultaneously happy and depressed. Confused

On the one hand, I'm very happy Simoun has been licensed as I really enjoyed it. On the other hand, I wanted it to get a good English dub and maybe a nice artbox because the series has some fantastic art and I'd like to be able to actually focus on the pretty pictures for once while I'm watching it. Guess that's not going to be possible now.

The sad truth is, if they don't release it with an English dub, it's very unlikely anyone else ever will.

Well, I suppose I can wait until the complete collection or singles are available at a bargain basement price. That's the only way I'll buy a mono-lingual release regardless of language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Well, I suppose I can wait until the complete collection or singles are available at a bargain basement price. That's the only way I'll buy a mono-lingual release regardless of language.


I suppose you're gonna do the same with Kashimashi? I was really hoping for a dub of that one, but I can live with it being sub-only. Not only are the DVDs a bit cheaper than normal, I just LOVED the series when I watched it fansubbed so I'm OK with no dub. I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make if Media Blasters continues to licenese yuri series like this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I suppose you're gonna do the same with Kashimashi?
That's my current plan. Don't get me wrong, I liked what I saw of it, but it wasn't my favorite. The anime stuck so close to the manga, at least for the episodes I watched fansubbed, I'm starting to consider just skipping it completely. Subtitles are just not my thing. When I read normally, I try to have absolute silence and when I watch something I try to focus all my attention on what's going on.

The truly sad thing is that Media Blasters has access to a great pool of potential English VAs. They have the capacity to make a great English dub. Apparently they think going sub-only with their releases is a good idea but I feel certain that it will ultimately prove to be a disaster.

Sadly, I think the only way I'm going to get a nice English dub for some series is to get rich, start my own anime company, and relicense them myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Futaba-chan



Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I'm a fan of yuri and like I already said, I didn't like it. I watched one episode and dropped it. It just didn't interest me.


Episode 1 isn't really indicative of the rest of the series. If you stick around as far as episode 8, you'll thank yourself for it....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zeiram



Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 317

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
what robots? I saw every episode, there were no robots

it is a yuri/yaoi/het war drama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I suppose you're gonna do the same with Kashimashi?
That's my current plan. Don't get me wrong, I liked what I saw of it, but it wasn't my favorite. The anime stuck so close to the manga, at least for the episodes I watched fansubbed, I'm starting to consider just skipping it completely. Subtitles are just not my thing. When I read normally, I try to have absolute silence and when I watch something I try to focus all my attention on what's going on.


Kashimashi isn't my favorite yuri either, although it still is among my absolute favorites when it comes to anime in general. Yeah, I can relate when it comes to subtitles. I'm prefer dubs myself, but I'll still watching something subtitled if I absolutely have to (fansubs, Gunbuster, etc.), or if the dub is a poor one (Disgaea, Voices of a Distant Star, etc.). It's hard to concentrate on the happening on screen while reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Plus, I don't like when there is some sort of fanservice shot that involves a female's breasts or something like that and the subtitles are overlaid over that sort. It makes me feel like like I'm staring, especially if that particular female is well endowed, if you know what mean. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6178

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to watching this show fansubbed, but I'm definitely getting this series when it comes out.

I think we'll see Media Blasters announce Strawberry Panic in the near future. Now if only Geneon would hurry up and announce Maria-sama ga Miteru....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm experiencing the paradoxical feeling of being simultaneously happy and depressed. Confused

On the one hand, I'm very happy Simoun has been licensed as I really enjoyed it. On the other hand, I wanted it to get a good English dub and maybe a nice artbox because the series has some fantastic art and I'd like to be able to actually focus on the pretty pictures for once while I'm watching it. Guess that's not going to be possible now.

The sad truth is, if they don't release it with an English dub, it's very unlikely anyone else ever will.

Well, I suppose I can wait until the complete collection or singles are available at a bargain basement price. That's the only way I'll buy a mono-lingual release regardless of language.


Wow.
I thought I'd check this thread out to see if all the MB haters who have been screaming at their licensing of yaoi & dropping their shonen line were happy now & it doesn't look as though the guys are happy yet. (Remembering more than one person at this site writing off MB over this) We gals deal with subbed yaoi & most seem happy just to get our grubby little paws on it.
However, you're right. Very shortly after the release of the individual dvds is completed MB tends to put out the box very cheap. I'm paying $11-$13 per individual dvd by pre-ordering early with discounts, but I saw the box for Loveless at Best Buy last night for $30, so that means it can be had for around $16.

Granted, I realize half the appeal of yaoi & BL anime is the Japanese VA's tend to be popular. I have no idea if yuri has that going for it. But hope you can get as much enjoyment out of your yuri as I do out of yaoi. Trust me, it isn't that hard to drool over the pretties while reading the subtitles. There's always the back button. And pause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Trust me, it isn't that hard to drool over the pretties while reading the subtitles. There's always the back button. And pause.


But then again there's those of us who are too lazy to use those buttons. [/joke] Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group